Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 12:48 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,435,315 times

Advertisements

This spring I have tipped the scale at 240, gaining 30 lbs since November. I ate a low fat diet of mostly vegetables with junk food over the weekends accompanied with lots of light beer (on the weekends). I was in the gym doing cardio at least 2 times a week.

So I went to see a doctor. The doctor stated that I have low vitamine d levels high triglycerides, high glucose. Diagnosed me Obesity and fatty liver and gave me medication that treats diabetes 2 (I am pre diabetes). Told me not eat crabs. Since Vegetables like tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, scallions... have carbs, I am confused what I can eat, but I think he meant wheat and potatoes and rice. (So if I have a fatty liver and should go on a low carb diet, can I have salad/no dressing?)

Before I go in-depth about my story I want to highlight the importance of seeing a doctor instead of going on a crazy diet.

The previous 2 years, based on blood work doctors would yell at me for drinking to much, and I even went for 3 month without alcohol (to cure an alcohol fatty liver, 2 years ago). I always have had a bad liver and I do drink more then average. I spend my weekends nursing a drink, since I have no family of my own to tend to. Booze cures boredom, that's why i like to drink.

1. I am thinking of stopping all alcohol consumption until my doc giver me a good health bill. This is more difficult then quitting smoking (for the reasons I mentioned above). So if that will not help let me know, I will not waste my energy stopping something I enjoy. ???

2. I understand low crab diet, I don't understand fruits and vegetables outside of (heavy carb), Peaches, apples, berries, tomatoes, cucumbers, celery, carrots, an occasional hummus, what about BBQed corn? What about banans? Doctor told me not eat pizza, bread and rice (I assume potato as well, but what about the rest of it ?). What about sun flower seeds and dark chocolates?

I was taking some diet pills from Amazon, they could have contributed to my problem. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 01:15 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,568,693 times
Low crab diet? Couldn't do it, hahahaha.

Kidding aside, about your comment, "Booze cures boredom, that's why i like to drink."
I did it for the same reason. Then I quit, and started going to Celebrate Recovery. Since the day I quit, I have been so super busy with friends and activities relating to CR and church, I barely have any time to be bored. Love it!

Old 06-02-2015, 01:35 PM

380 posts, read 654,413 times
I gave up alcohol 10 months ago. If you do that and also give up animal products and added oil, I'd bet my 401(k) that weight will fall off you like it did for me.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:54 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,435,315 times
I am not going to church ! hate organized religion

But I am not clear if I even need to give up alcohol at this point. I can just switch to not drink beer ? ! ???

Old 06-02-2015, 03:17 PM

20,130 posts, read 16,209,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post

But I am not clear if I even need to give up alcohol at this point. I can just switch to not drink beer ? ! ???
Uh...... I'm sorry to break it to you but, from what you gave described, you NEED to give up the alcohol. That is all alcohol - beer, wine, whiskey, vodka, gin, .... whatever. People with fatty livers have a particularly difficult time processing booze, just changing the type is not going to do the trick.

Go see if you can check out the book "Wheat Belly" from the library. When you are supposed to go low carb, which is often recommended for pre-diabetes, diabetes, and fatty liver, getting rid of all animal products is not the solution. You can still eat salads, have fruit, enjoy pretty much all veggies, and basically continue enjoying food. Dressing for your salad is fine provided it has no processed sugar - ranch dressing or simple oil/vinegar is often what is recommended. What you should get rid of is wheat/grain products, processed sugar, and alcohol.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:25 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,923,178 times
The medication for diabetes may help with weight loss too. I hope you were honest with the doctor about your alcohol consumption, because some diabetes meds do not work well in combination with alcohol...metformin being the first example that comes to mind. I think one or two beers a couple times a week would probably be okay, but not a 12 pack a day on the weekends. You can end up with lactic acidosis.

Don't worry about the carbs in lettuce, spinach, cabbage, cucumber, celery, summer squash (zucchini and yellow squash), broccoli, cauliflower, eggplant, green onions, and things like that. Limit potatoes, corn, carrots, winter squash, and peas. Fruit will have sugar in it so just eat reasonable portions (for example, a couple slices of watermelon not half a melon). Bananas, grapes and mangoes seem to have a lot of sugar compared to other fruits. Still, if you're deciding between a slice of cake and some grapes, then have the grapes.

Limiting carbs but not cutting them out completely would also help you. Have two slices of pizza instead of a whole pizza. Have one sandwich with extra meat instead of three regular sandwiches, that kind of thing. You can still have salad dressing, just look at the carbs and calories and measure the dressing, don't just pour it on.

What you need is a different hobby for the weekends...hiking, riding a bike, spending more time in the gym. Exercise will help control your blood sugar and keep your pre-diabetes from turning into diabetes. Cardio twice a week is better than nothing but not really enough exercise to help control blood sugar.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:28 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,155,425 times
I would hope that most people are smart enough not to resort to fad diets. There's so much nutritional information easily available that it's no trick to put together a good diet.

I like crab AND lobster.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:29 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,568,693 times
Quote:

My church is not organized religion. It is a group of people who love Jesus and are thankful that He gave us salvation by dying on the cross. Period.

And Celebrate Recovery is pretty much separate from the church it is held in. Of course you do need to believe that Jesus saves and surrender to Him. It's about Jesus though, NOT religion!

Old 06-02-2015, 03:31 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,343,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
The medication for diabetes may help with weight loss too. I hope you were honest with the doctor about your alcohol consumption, because some diabetes meds do not work well in combination with alcohol...metformin being the first example that comes to mind. I think one or two beers a couple times a week would probably be okay, but not a 12 pack a day on the weekends. You can end up with lactic acidosis.

Don't worry about the carbs in lettuce, spinach, cabbage, cucumber, celery, summer squash (zucchini and yellow squash), broccoli, cauliflower, eggplant, green onions, and things like that. Limit potatoes, corn, carrots, winter squash, and peas. Fruit will have sugar in it so just eat reasonable portions (for example, a couple slices of watermelon not half a melon). Bananas, grapes and mangoes seem to have a lot of sugar compared to other fruits. Still, if you're deciding between a slice of cake and some grapes, then have the grapes.

Limiting carbs but not cutting them out completely would also help you. Have two slices of pizza instead of a whole pizza. Have one sandwich with extra meat instead of three regular sandwiches, that kind of thing. You can still have salad dressing, just look at the carbs and calories and measure the dressing, don't just pour it on.

What you need is a different hobby for the weekends...hiking, riding a bike, spending more time in the gym. Exercise will help control your blood sugar and keep your pre-diabetes from turning into diabetes. Cardio twice a week is better than nothing but not really enough exercise to help control blood sugar.
Really? Mr. CSD does not cardio at all and his blood sugar is controlled with food and walking.
Not walking fast walking either just his normal walk.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:34 PM

29,765 posts, read 34,486,345 times
Quote:
If you're trying to lose weight, why do you want to drink empty calories, like in alcohol? A 12 oz. serving of light beer has around 100 calories, as does a 5 oz. glass of wine or a shot of liquor (give or take.) so if you drink "lots" of beer as you said, that's hundreds of calories that you're taking in. Cut it out and you'll initially drop weight easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss