Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 12:13 AM

23 posts, read 37,931 times

Advertisements

People also assume I have kids,and im in my mid 30s or early 40s. Also doesn't help I walk with a limp due to arthritis.
Such a sad day when your own age range calls you mam and even grabs your arm to help you walk.
Im hoping weight loss takes pressure off my ankle joint, and helps me look younger. I live a stressful life,living check To check and want to be able to afford a education soon.

Or people asking why I walk slow, so depressing. I read for some weight loss made them look older!

I'm 307 pounds,5 9 height.
Attached Thumbnails
If I lost weight would I look younger? Im 27 and people think im in my mid 30s-20150627_013722-1-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 12:28 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,271 times
I actually think you carry your weight very well. I would not have guessed that you weigh over 300lbs. I would have guessed the mid-200s.

If you lose weight, you might look younger. I think you look your age in your face, but maybe you dress "older" because of your weight, or you carry yourself differently, you know?

I'd try to start with exercising. Start going on long walks. I'm your age and eat a lot sometimes but keep my weight in check mostly by walking. You'll lose weight and feel better, and you'll be better-conditioned for everyday life, too.

Obviously, for huge differences, a diet change will also be necessary, but I think I would start with walking first.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Old 07-14-2015, 12:43 AM

23 posts, read 37,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I actually think you can our weight very well. I would not have guessed that you weigh over 300lbs. I would havessed the mid-200s.

If you lose weight, you might look younger. I think you look your age in your face, but maybe you dress "older" because of your weight, or you carry yourself differently, you know?

I'd try to start with exercising. Start going on long walks. I'm your age and eat a lot sometimes but keep my weight in check mostly by walking. You'll lose weight and feel better, and you'll be better-conditioned for everyday life, too.

Obviously, for huge differences, a diet change will also be necessary, but I think I would start with walking first.

Good luck with whatever you choose!
Thank you. And you have a point with clothes since a teen I had to wear clothes made older. It sucked to be caring for a 89 year old woman and we had the same pants on. Dieting is hard...fail daily. Weakness cheesecakes and soda.

Old 07-14-2015, 01:13 AM

That's why I suggest exercising. Most people will tell you that weight loss is 80 or 90% diet and 20 or 10% exercise. For me, it's more like 50/50. I love to eat and have a hard time giving up the things that I love. Sweets and soda aren't my thing, but Southern food and wine are.

Because of that, I've been doing 90 minutes of cardio a day (usually 6 days a week, sometimes 5 or 7) and minimal weight training 3x a week for years. That's at the gym...on top of that, I try to stay active by taking my dogs on long walks twice a day, swimming and just going outside as much as possible.

For some, dieting is easy. For some, it is not. Dieting is not easy for me. I don't mind exercising, though.

Also, here are a few tips that help me:

- Keep fresh-cut fruits and/or veggies in your fridge. Don't go off of what other people say you should eat -- go off of what you KNOW you will eat. I don't like lettuce too much, so salads are out for me. I do, however, love all kinds of fruit, plus veggies like cherry tomatoes and cucumbers. I keep my fav. fruits and veggies cut-up in my fridge and snack on them when I'm hungry. If I still crave something after, I'll eat it. However, a lot of times I find that I'm NOT hungry anymore. Even if I am, I usually eat a much smaller portion. For example, eat your fill of baby carrots/cherry tomatoes/sliced cucumbers before dinner. Sure, you'll still want dinner, but you'll likely want less. The smaller portions mean you can still eat what you want (within reason).

- Look for healthier options. If you love soda, why not swap it out for sparkling water instead? That fat-free, calorie-free lemon-lime sparkling water is fairly similar to Sprite. I do love my sweet tea and can't give it up, so what I do is drink water when I am actually thirsty and drink tea when I am actually craving tea, rather than drinking tea or soda every time that I'm thirsty. Does that make sense? Chug a glass of water to quench your thirst first. Then, you might not want soda at all. If you do, you'll have a smaller amount for the taste instead of trying to quench your thirst with it.

- Eat off of a saucer plate. My saucers are kind of big, but they're a lot smaller than my plates. When I make dinner, I always prepare my plate on a saucer. If I'm still hungry, I'll go back and get seconds. I often find that I don't want seconds, though.

- Fill up your plate with veggies. Add the fattening food that you want in a small portion, but fill up the bulk of your plate with veggies.

- Try a taste of sweets that you like. Sweets aren't really my weakness, so I can't help much here. I like sweets but don't eat many. I'm usually happy having one or two small bites. Maybe try that and see if you're satisfied before making a huge portion for yourself. Think slivers instead of slices.

Old 07-14-2015, 01:21 AM

Oh yes, and try to center your sweets around fruit. You say you can't give up cheesecake? Have a teeny sliver of cheesecake with lots of sliced-up strawberries.

Some people here will tell you to cut out that stuff completely, but it's a lot easier said than done. As I said, I hate dieting, so I try to make choices that allow me to eat what I want (kind of) without getting fat. For reference, I'm 5'8" and weigh 145. I'm not skinny and never will be, but I'm able to keep my weight under control. The women on both sides of my family are obese, so I wasn't born this way, either. Weight creeps up on me easily, but I've found that making semi-decent food choices and working out regularly help me keep things under control.

Old 07-14-2015, 05:21 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
I'm another person who wouldn't tell you to eliminate cheesecake and soda. My husband is glued to his pepsi bottle, and I love cheesecake. But both of us have been able to reduce our "sin intake." Instead of having cheesecake every month, not caring which one I have, I go to the place where I can get my favorite. If it looks even 10 minutes too old, or they don't have it with the topping I like, I skip it entirely. If they have it, I get one. It's a mini-round, 4 bites-worth. I've changed my craving from "cheesecake" to "THIS cheesecake fresh only, with THAT topping."

My husband has switched from having pepsi morning noon and night, to having pepsi with lunch, water with his snacks, and 2 glasses of pepsi in the evening - one with dinner, one after dinner. He's not overweight, so it's harder to convince him he needs to stop drinking that stuff. But husbands are works in progress from the moment you marry them til the moment they die

I agree with the wardrobe issue too. You're dressing like a frumpy 40-year-old. I didn't dress like that when I was 40, and I still don't dress like that at 54. I don't dress like a kid anymore either, but there are plenty of options for the younger half of adulthood.

If you slim down slowly, it's possible that the crinkly skin problem won't show up at all. You'll benefit health-wise from losing weight, and looking your age doesn't mean much if you look gorgeous in your casket when you're 50. You also don't need to get *thin.* You carry your weight very well as someone else said. If you lose 2 pounds a week, each week for the next year, you'll have lost 104 pounds. Make sure to do some strength and balance training during the process. That will help with your arthritis, AND it'll help keep your muscles in good shape. Remember, when you lose weight, your muscles have less work to do. You want to keep them working just as hard as when they were carrying all that weight around.

By the time you get to 200, you'll FEEL better, you'll look better, you'll breathe better, and you'll want to show off a new, more age-appropriate outfit! I'd start on the outfit part right now actually, with something that doesn't need to have a size. A new scarf, some funky socks, a new hairdo, and a bold new lipstick. Make yourself FEEL the way you deserve to look, and it'll help you get motivated.

Old 07-14-2015, 06:23 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
That's why I suggest exercising. Most people will tell you that weight loss is 80 or 90% diet and 20 or 10% exercise. For me, it's more like 50/50. I love to eat and have a hard time giving up the things that I love. Sweets and soda aren't my thing, but Southern food and wine are.

Because of that, I've been doing 90 minutes of cardio a day (usually 6 days a week, sometimes 5 or 7) and minimal weight training 3x a week for years. That's at the gym...on top of that, I try to stay active by taking my dogs on long walks twice a day, swimming and just going outside as much as possible.

For some, dieting is easy. For some, it is not. Dieting is not easy for me. I don't mind exercising, though.

Also, here are a few tips that help me:

- Keep fresh-cut fruits and/or veggies in your fridge. Don't go off of what other people say you should eat -- go off of what you KNOW you will eat. I don't like lettuce too much, so salads are out for me. I do, however, love all kinds of fruit, plus veggies like cherry tomatoes and cucumbers. I keep my fav. fruits and veggies cut-up in my fridge and snack on them when I'm hungry. If I still crave something after, I'll eat it. However, a lot of times I find that I'm NOT hungry anymore. Even if I am, I usually eat a much smaller portion. For example, eat your fill of baby carrots/cherry tomatoes/sliced cucumbers before dinner. Sure, you'll still want dinner, but you'll likely want less. The smaller portions mean you can still eat what you want (within reason).

- Look for healthier options. If you love soda, why not swap it out for sparkling water instead? That fat-free, calorie-free lemon-lime sparkling water is fairly similar to Sprite. I do love my sweet tea and can't give it up, so what I do is drink water when I am actually thirsty and drink tea when I am actually craving tea, rather than drinking tea or soda every time that I'm thirsty. Does that make sense? Chug a glass of water to quench your thirst first. Then, you might not want soda at all. If you do, you'll have a smaller amount for the taste instead of trying to quench your thirst with it.

- Eat off of a saucer plate. My saucers are kind of big, but they're a lot smaller than my plates. When I make dinner, I always prepare my plate on a saucer. If I'm still hungry, I'll go back and get seconds. I often find that I don't want seconds, though.

- Fill up your plate with veggies. Add the fattening food that you want in a small portion, but fill up the bulk of your plate with veggies.

- Try a taste of sweets that you like. Sweets aren't really my weakness, so I can't help much here. I like sweets but don't eat many. I'm usually happy having one or two small bites. Maybe try that and see if you're satisfied before making a huge portion for yourself. Think slivers instead of slices.
I love to exercise as well. However, I really didn't start to lose weight until I changed my diet.

To the OP-I do think being heavy makes people (not just you) look older. It is a combination of extra fat in the face and being forced to dress in clothing that has an older look to it. I don't think you look like you weigh over 300 though. You are still young and it is easier to lose weight when you are young. I am 49 and my weight comes off very slowly.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:20 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Weight can make you look older. I remember reading a weight-loss story wherein the woman's wake-up call was being out with her sister and her sister's two little kids, and the lady at a store gave the kids a lollipop, then handed one to each of the women and said, "And one for Mommy and one for Grandma". She was 28 years old.

You can do it. It takes time, but don't be hard on yourself.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:30 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,331,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I love to exercise as well. However, I really didn't start to lose weight until I changed my diet.
This is true for me also. Working out--hard--only gave me very moderate results on weight loss. And the downside was, I did some irreparable damage to my feet and knees running 20 miles a week trying to exercise the weight off. If you do go the exercise route, be sure it is low impact--swimming, bicycling, walking, elliptical--at least until your weight is down to a level where your joints won't suffer from the stress.

That said, I lost 65 lbs after my son was born, and a few people asked if I'd had a face lift. LOL On the flipside, I've seen people lose too much weight and they end up looking gaunt and older. So I think it's a fine line.

Regardless, I agree with the other poster who said you carry your weight well. (You are also gorgeous! )

I understand diet failure, but honestly, I never consider any attempt a failure. You learn something more about yourself each time you try, and eventually, you will unlock the key thanks to all those past experiences. The important thing is to keep trying!

Old 07-14-2015, 09:53 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,550,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboniy View Post
People also assume I have kids,and im in my mid 30s or early 40s. Also doesn't help I walk with a limp due to arthritis.
Such a sad day when your own age range calls you mam and even grabs your arm to help you walk.
Im hoping weight loss takes pressure off my ankle joint, and helps me look younger. I live a stressful life,living check To check and want to be able to afford a education soon.

Or people asking why I walk slow, so depressing. I read for some weight loss made them look older!

I'm 307 pounds,5 9 height.

I think it is more the conservative hairstyle and clothing ( which is nice by the way nothing wrong with it) while others in your age group dress more trashy or in the latest fad style, I also think it is the walking with a limp that make people assume you are older . I do agree however that losing some weight in a healthy way and not by starving yourself would be a good idea for anyone to do .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss