Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 06:41 PM

6 posts, read 4,176 times

Advertisements

I started to gain my weight when my wife became pregnant with my 8 year old son. At that time I had decided to quit smoking and gradually had started putting on weight over the past 9 years.

My wife’s mother passed away this April. She was very young, only 61 years old and this was totally unexpected. The autopsy report identified that the cause of death was a pulmonary embolism. Often caused by clotting of the blood I learned that this could have been prevented had she been more active.

After burying a loved one and going through the grieving process I started to think about my own immortality. I am only 47 years old and in 14 years I will be the same age as my wife’s mom when she passed. My wife and I have three beautiful children; Two 20 year old girls (Yes twins) and an 8 year old boy.

I started to calculate in my mind how old my kids will be in 14 years. In other words, I tried to figure out how old they would be if I passed away at the same age as my wife’s mom. I realized that my girls would only be 34 and my son would only be 22. I then realized how much I want to live a longer and healthier life so I can be around to see my children and even my grandchildren grow up.

I started trying to lose weight about nine weeks ago and really struggled a lot at first. It was very frustrating to try so hard and not see the results I had expected. I wouldn’t give up because my reason for being healthy was too important. So I continued and with the help of some supplements I have now lost 24 pounds. I have 52 more pounds to go and I am now very excited and inspired to see my goal come to fruition.

I wanted to join a forum for support and to offer encouragement to those who are struggling. Thanks for allowing me to share my story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 09:14 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Congrats on the weight loss! Keep up the good work!

Did you follow any sort of diet, or just cut back on calories?

Old 07-18-2015, 09:19 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,331,254 times
Major congratulations on quitting smoking! I smoked for 27 years, quit almost 10 years ago so I know how difficult it is. And like you, I'm still trying to lose the weight I gained when I quit. My sister said it best, life is like a big game of whack-a-mole. You kick one bad habit and another pops up.

I'm really, really glad you are seeing some success with your weight loss efforts. It sounds like you've found something that will work for you, so keep going! You will not regret it. And not just to live longer, but to keep up with that 8-year-old boy!! You're setting an excellent example for him, AND showing your children how much you care for them. They are lucky to have such a great dad!

Old 07-18-2015, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Congrats on the weight loss! Keep up the good work!

Did you follow any sort of diet, or just cut back on calories?
Thanks! I eat 1200 or less calories each day. I don't eat sugar, flour or fried foods. Mainly I am eating fresh lean meat, veggies and fruit.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Major congratulations on quitting smoking! I smoked for 27 years, quit almost 10 years ago so I know how difficult it is. And like you, I'm still trying to lose the weight I gained when I quit. My sister said it best, life is like a big game of whack-a-mole. You kick one bad habit and another pops up.

I'm really, really glad you are seeing some success with your weight loss efforts. It sounds like you've found something that will work for you, so keep going! You will not regret it. And not just to live longer, but to keep up with that 8-year-old boy!! You're setting an excellent example for him, AND showing your children how much you care for them. They are lucky to have such a great dad!

Thanks LoriBee for all of your inspirational kind words. My family is my "Why." I believe if your "Why" is big enough you can continue to accomplish your goals too.

Last edited by Dmagnet; 07-18-2015 at 10:31 PM..

Old 07-18-2015, 10:49 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,528,298 times
Inspiring, OP! Your kids deserve to have you around. This is a really loving thing you are doing for them, whether they realize it or not.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:19 PM

Thanks for saying that west seattle gal.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:14 AM

326 posts, read 704,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post

I think its about time somebody starts investigating which of the 1000's of chemicals in a cigarette suppresses appetite!

On a side note I was listening to a ~85 yr old Vietnam Vet talking about his smoking habit and he was adamant about his method for quitting. It was basically that he would keep increasing the time between cigarettes until his habit was gone (e.g. go 2 hrs without a cig, then 4 hours, then 8 ...) I'm sure somebody has tried this right? Sounds too easy to be true - any thoughts?

Sorry for hijacking the thread - but I was curious (congrats on the weight loss - the body has an amazing capacity to heal and I am positive you will see your kids for many years to come!)

Old 07-19-2015, 08:52 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,331,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciameriken View Post
I think its about time somebody starts investigating which of the 1000's of chemicals in a cigarette suppresses appetite!

On a side note I was listening to a ~85 yr old Vietnam Vet talking about his smoking habit and he was adamant about his method for quitting. It was basically that he would keep increasing the time between cigarettes until his habit was gone (e.g. go 2 hrs without a cig, then 4 hours, then 8 ...) I'm sure somebody has tried this right? Sounds too easy to be true - any thoughts?

Sorry for hijacking the thread - but I was curious (congrats on the weight loss - the body has an amazing capacity to heal and I am positive you will see your kids for many years to come!)
It definitely sounds like a solid idea. Luckily, I don't have to try it. I quit by eating, thinking once I was over the cigarettes, I'd "just drop the weight". Like it would be as simple as it was when I was 34 and did the same thing (due to pregnancy). Problem was, I wasn't 34 anymore. I was 44 and the weight didn't just "fall off" like it did before.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:04 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmagnet View Post
I started to gain my weight when my wife became pregnant with my 8 year old son. At that time I had decided to quit smoking and gradually had started putting on weight over the past 9 years.

My wife’s mother passed away this April. She was very young, only 61 years old and this was totally unexpected. The autopsy report identified that the cause of death was a pulmonary embolism. Often caused by clotting of the blood I learned that this could have been prevented had she been more active.

After burying a loved one and going through the grieving process I started to think about my own immortality. I am only 47 years old and in 14 years I will be the same age as my wife’s mom when she passed. My wife and I have three beautiful children; Two 20 year old girls (Yes twins) and an 8 year old boy.

I started to calculate in my mind how old my kids will be in 14 years. In other words, I tried to figure out how old they would be if I passed away at the same age as my wife’s mom. I realized that my girls would only be 34 and my son would only be 22. I then realized how much I want to live a longer and healthier life so I can be around to see my children and even my grandchildren grow up.

I started trying to lose weight about nine weeks ago and really struggled a lot at first. It was very frustrating to try so hard and not see the results I had expected. I wouldn’t give up because my reason for being healthy was too important. So I continued and with the help of some supplements I have now lost 24 pounds. I have 52 more pounds to go and I am now very excited and inspired to see my goal come to fruition.

I wanted to join a forum for support and to offer encouragement to those who are struggling. Thanks for allowing me to share my story.
I am so glad to hear you are having success. Keep up the good work. My oldest son coming to me and telling me he was afraid that I wasn't going to live long enough to see him marry and have children was the thing that inspired my weight loss journey as well.

I have lost a significant amount of weight, going from a size 22W to a regular size 16. I'm not sure exactly how much weight I have lost because at first I was afraid to get on the scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss