Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 03:57 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,508,155 times

Advertisements

Yes, it has calories you know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 05:20 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,413,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
I have been drinking a lot of red wine lately and I have gained at least 20 pounds in the last couple of months. I admit that I have not been exercising like I suppose but never gained this much weight. Should I cut back on my wine intake?
Dang! 20lbs is a LOT. I drink a LOT of beer, I mean a LOT OF BEER and I stay around the 172lbs to 178 lbs range. This is with putting away 3-6 bottles of high calorie Bass beer per day. Wine is less cals, but I know red wine needs to be consumed shortly after opening, so a bottle every two days is not out of the question. Still, you need to look at your entire nutritional intake as well as your daily exercise routine to find out how to fix it. Still, 20 pounds is a LOT and Im sure the wine plays only a very tiny tiny tiny tiny role in that weight gain.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:31 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Dang! 20lbs is a LOT. I drink a LOT of beer, I mean a LOT OF BEER and I stay around the 172lbs to 178 lbs range. This is with putting away 3-6 bottles of high calorie Bass beer per day. Wine is less cals, but I know red wine needs to be consumed shortly after opening, so a bottle every two days is not out of the question. Still, you need to look at your entire nutritional intake as well as your daily exercise routine to find out how to fix it. Still, 20 pounds is a LOT and Im sure the wine plays only a very tiny tiny tiny tiny role in that weight gain.
Well there, Kings Gambit. I was out Saturday night and put away six pints of Stella. I rarely drink that much anymore but I was proud that I did it and stayed out past midnight, too!

Alas, vacation is over. I don't want to add up those calories.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:33 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
What people dont' understand about wine (or alcohol in general) is not so much the calories. It's the fact that your body MUST PROCESS alcohol before it can touch anything else you have consumed. So it (alcohol) can promote fat storage. It also makes you hungrier and/or eat more. I have alcohol every day, but have managed to lose a LOT of weight and keep it off. But I eat small portions of very healthy food and exercise/work out a lot.

As others have mentioned, wine is pretty much low carb (except sweet wine) and the alchohol offsets the carbs.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:57 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,065,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
The wine itself isn't even that bad, but it gives you the munchies so chances increase you'll overeat. If you really want your wine then don't eat any other unhealthy foods and make sure you eat plenty of vegetables
I drink red wine..it averages out to a glass or so a night, but I always account for it when counting calories.

Now...I have never gotten the munchies from it. I would have to stop enjoying my wine if that were the case.

I'm more inclined to partake in calorie burning activities if I have more than a glass at night

Old 07-20-2015, 08:03 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,282,765 times
I find that if I drink a glass of wine in the evening, that I forget that I'm hungry, so I tend to eat less food for dinner. Of course, overindulgence of wine can backfire and make me eat more the next day, but typically, I don't do this. Now, if there is beer in the house, that is whole 'nother story.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:05 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
I have been drinking a lot of red wine lately and I have gained at least 20 pounds in the last couple of months. I admit that I have not been exercising like I suppose but never gained this much weight. Should I cut back on my wine intake?

Anything can make you fat if you consume excessive amounts of it.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:50 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
I drink red wine..it averages out to a glass or so a night, but I always account for it when counting calories.

Now...I have never gotten the munchies from it. I would have to stop enjoying my wine if that were the case.

I'm more inclined to partake in calorie burning activities if I have more than a glass at night
Yes I'm talking about drinking a bottle or so a night. I don't think one glass will have any negative effects

Old 07-21-2015, 06:26 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,549,779 times
I do drink a bottle of wine per night. Gosh I love my wine But I am willing to stop drinking it period. Im not the type of person that can cut back to one glass. So no more wine for me. And back to a continuous daily work out routine. Thanks for all your positive responses

Old 07-21-2015, 06:44 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,954,427 times
No one food makes you fat. Drinking or eating more calories than you burn makes you fat. It's the simple matter of calories in/calories out. But based on what you've written, that you drink a bottle of wine a day and you don't exercise, I suspect that is the culprit in your case, especially since a lot of wines have about 200 calories/5 ounce glass! I feel your pain. I had to give up champagne because it was giving me awful migraines. What a tragedy. I love champagne more than any other drink
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss