Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 07:16 PM

1,098 posts, read 902,825 times

Advertisements

I have a problem controlling myself around dairy, specifically ice cream and cheese. Over the past year it's spiraled out of control and I've gained a lot of weight. It's like the more I tell myself I have a problem the worse it gets. This s points to an eating disorder. However, I can remember way back, long before I even realized I had a problem, I was doing things like eating 4-5 bowls of cereal in one sitting, taking multiple trips to the fridge to grab hand-fulls of shredded cheese, eating entire pizzas, boxes of mac & cheese, containers of ice cream, you name it. Lately, I've even been making spur of the moment trips to the grocery store for ice cream and or blocks of cheese. This points to addiction.

A lot of health experts will advise you to just eat problem foods in moderation but I really don't think I can handle moderation.

I've read that dairy can be addicting due to a natural chemical (casomophin) found in cow's milk and that chemical is super concentrated in ice cream and cheese..which makes perfect sense to me because I definitely get a dopamine rush. Maybe I'm exceptionally sensitive to it.

I'm convinced that I need to eliminate dairy completely. Is there anyone else out there who feels the same way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 04:19 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Sometimes I have to eliminate a particular food completely because I can't stop eating it as long as it's in the house. I'm not sure you need to give up all dairy, maybe give up ice cream and cheese, but still drink milk if you want it and eat yogurt. (not frozen yogurt) Or switch to unsweetened almond milk and only eat light Greek yogurt.

Eating 4-5 bowls of cereal and eating boxes of mac and cheese don't have to do with a dairy addiction, those just have a lot of carbs and when you eat a lot of carbs, your body wants more.

Old 10-14-2015, 05:38 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
All of the foods you mention (except shredded cheese) have lots of carbs. It could be the dairy and it could be the carbs. Try removing dairy from your diet for a few weeks (not days) to see if removal reduces the cravings. I find that I cannot eat all foods in moderation because there is no moderation (for me) with respect to carbs. When I reduce the carbs the cravings completely disappear.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:10 AM

15 posts, read 15,844 times
It sounds like you have a eating disorder or love food to much
Have you ever considered a appetite suppressant?

Old 10-14-2015, 08:13 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrale21 View Post
It sounds like you have a eating disorder or love food to much
Have you ever considered a appetite suppressant?
Please stop with the appetite suppressant crap. She needs to teach herself to eat right, not pop a pill that will TEMPORARILY remove the desire.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:01 PM

1,098 posts, read 902,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Please stop with the appetite suppressant crap. She needs to teach herself to eat right, not pop a pill that will TEMPORARILY remove the desire.
I'm a guy, I don't think that's that's the problem anyway.

When I feel full I'm eating stuff like, beef, coconut oil and plenty of vegetables. So I know exactly what needs to be done. The sad part is it's beef difficult for me to get started. I have had the "i'll start tomorrow" mentality for the past year and it's been rough.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:08 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
I don't think your problem has anything to do with dairy as much as binge eating disorder. Cognitive behavioral therapy might be in order.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:42 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
I think most people have foods that are really problematic for them.

I have certain foods that I REALLY like....but they make me feel pretty crummy when I eat them. I just don't keep these foods in the house and eat them as little as possible.

If I was to keep something like bagels in the house, they would not last more than a few hours......those thingies call to me, any bread does that.

Old 10-15-2015, 04:36 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
I'm a guy, I don't think that's that's the problem anyway.

When I feel full I'm eating stuff like, beef, coconut oil and plenty of vegetables. So I know exactly what needs to be done. The sad part is it's beef difficult for me to get started. I have had the "i'll start tomorrow" mentality for the past year and it's been rough.
Start by getting the bad foods out of the house. Use them up or throw them out. Buy foods that you know work for you. Only buy foods like that. If you're going to eat one of your trigger foods, buy a small portion of it, for example an individual cup of ice cream rather than a carton.

And then think of it one day at a time, as in, one day of eating the wrong foods does not undo all your days of good work. Focus on eating right for one day, then the next day, and so on. If you mess up one day, go back to it the next day.

Old 10-17-2015, 10:22 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Sometimes I have to eliminate a particular food completely because I can't stop eating it as long as it's in the house. I'm not sure you need to give up all dairy, maybe give up ice cream and cheese, but still drink milk if you want it and eat yogurt. (not frozen yogurt) Or switch to unsweetened almond milk and only eat light Greek yogurt.

Eating 4-5 bowls of cereal and eating boxes of mac and cheese don't have to do with a dairy addiction, those just have a lot of carbs and when you eat a lot of carbs, your body wants more.
It sure does. I don't keep cereal in the house for that reason, but last week I was tired, in the supermarket around 8 p.m. wondering what to eat for dinner and too tired to cook, and Raisin Bran was on sale. I bought the smallest box and ate half the box that night with almond milk. Then I ate the rest two days later because I knew it was there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss