Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2016, 07:40 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,478 times

Advertisements

I just started going to the gym about a week ago. I'm male, 23 years old, 6', 190lbs. I've been going to the gym about 4 days per week, and feel great! My biggest problem is meal planning/lack of food knowledge. I know the obvious (stay away from junk food, soda, etc...) I enjoy veggies and love red meat. Not big on fruit at all ( Lemon is the only fruit I like).

That being said, I'm trying to lose some weight (I have a small "beer" belly) and need to tone up and gain a little muscle. Any help as far as food to consume and good meal planning (breakfast, lunch, dinner, etc...)

All help appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 10:54 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,460,880 times
Sample Meal

Breakfast: 3 eggs (get rid of one yolk), 1 slice Ezekiel Bread with all fruit topping

Snack: Muscle Milk Pro Series Protein Drink (prepackaged - in the health food aisle) 40 grams protein, 220 cals

Lunch: Chicken or Fish with salad, brown rice or baked plain or sweet potato

Snack: Protein Drink again or Low Fat Greek Yogurt

Supper: 8-12 oz lean sirloin steak, unlimited broccoli, 1 cup brown rice

Snack: Yogurt or Nuts

Old 01-21-2016, 11:16 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
Sample Meal

Breakfast: 3 eggs (get rid of one yolk), 1 slice Ezekiel Bread with all fruit topping

Snack: Muscle Milk Pro Series Protein Drink (prepackaged - in the health food aisle) 40 grams protein, 220 cals

Lunch: Chicken or Fish with salad, brown rice or baked plain or sweet potato

Snack: Protein Drink again or Low Fat Greek Yogurt

Supper: 8-12 oz lean sirloin steak, unlimited broccoli, 1 cup brown rice

Snack: Yogurt or Nuts
Thank you! This is what I was looking for. A simple meal plan to start with and follow

Old 01-21-2016, 01:11 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
I just started going to the gym about a week ago. I'm male, 23 years old, 6', 190lbs. I've been going to the gym about 4 days per week, and feel great! My biggest problem is meal planning/lack of food knowledge. I know the obvious (stay away from junk food, soda, etc...) I enjoy veggies and love red meat. Not big on fruit at all ( Lemon is the only fruit I like).

That being said, I'm trying to lose some weight (I have a small "beer" belly) and need to tone up and gain a little muscle. Any help as far as food to consume and good meal planning (breakfast, lunch, dinner, etc...)

All help appreciated
[Mod cut: yes, it's snarky] You really need to know what your target calories and macros are before you start trying to draw up meal plans.

I'd suggest reading this article (both parts, obviously) and then coming back with the numbers you need to shoot for, or ask us if you need more help setting it up. From there, we can help you out with some meal plans.

Last edited by elnina; 01-21-2016 at 01:31 PM..

Old 01-25-2016, 11:55 AM

683 posts, read 1,885,051 times
When I started to really think more about nutrition and fitness, I found this site really helpful: Simple Science Fitness. Burn Fat. Build Muscle. Be Healthy.. It is really comprehensive, yet keeps the science simple. While not all of it is relevant to your question, I think you may find some useful information there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss