Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 11:51 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,015,803 times

Advertisements

Has anyone has success losing weight this way ???

I have been reading about it and have decided to try it...I plan to have a protein shake or few eggs during the day and then a nice meal of my choosing at night...

Reasons I think it may fit me ..

I don't mind being on the hungry side during the day but dislike that at night..
I love variety and diets that eliminate favorite foods usually fail for me
I tend to eat healthy foods but want to be able to eat what I am craving.
I like to try new recipes and not count calories
I like to travel and experience the food where I am visiting.
I like socializing over a nice meal at home or eating out..
I am dating and this plan would fit that perfectly..
I can easily not eat all day (except maybe 200 calories) if I know I can enjoy a full meal later
I don't often eat sweets so that helps with calories at my one meal.
I limit my gluten, so that makes my one meal healthier also..
I have tried calorie counting, low carb, south beach & other diets that all make eating out hard..

I would love to hear from anyone that has tried this...
I am pretty sure I can stick to this plan but not sure I will lose weight on it...

ps. I need to lose about 20 lbs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 11:58 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,561,614 times
Are you going to do this for the rest of your life?

Isn't this like IF?

If it does work for you and helps you lose weight, great.

From what I understand, you can lose weight doing anything. But if you go back to how you used to eat when you were fat, you are going to gain the weight back all that much quicker. Don't know science behind that, something like, your body was kind of starving from your dieting so once it gets food, it's like hold on to this! Hold on to it all! For dear life!

Old 07-08-2015, 12:21 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,245,042 times
My personal experience is that amount of meals and time of intake doesn't matter at all. (For example: some say you shouldn't eat late because <insert some theory about nocturnal metabolism rate>... like you however I like to sleep on a full stomach so I tend to eat late or even in the middle of the night, and to some it might be a surprise that I'm not fat.)

Whether you eat 10 meals or 1 meal a day the (long term) success still mostly depends on what you eat.

Old 07-08-2015, 01:17 PM

95 posts, read 81,578 times
The body can survive with one meal day without a problem. Eating a nutritious meal, that is. The notion that one has to eat 3 to 4 meals a day is more the result of cultural upbringing than physiological...

Old 07-08-2015, 04:12 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,331,964 times
My husband only ate one meal a day (dinner) for many years. Once he hit 50, he started having trouble with blood sugar. Our doctor told him the rise in blood sugar was because he only ate once a day, even though what he was eating was healthy vegetables, grains and meats. She said eating more frequently was better at reducing the blood sugar peaks and valleys that can lead to insulin resistance.

I don't have feelings on it one way or the other. I'm very much, if it works for you, go for it. Just relating one person's experience.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:19 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,257,773 times
Not a healthy way to live; not a healthy way to lose weight.

Old 07-09-2015, 06:50 AM

4,566 posts, read 5,423,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
One meal a day plan

Has anyone has success losing weight this way ???
NO!!

If it isnt HEALTHY you shouldnt do it.

One meal a day is NOT healthy. It would be insane to do this and think that you are getting healthier.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:20 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,074,327 times
I have to disagree with the last two posts. There have been studies showing that short term fasting does not result in any nutritional deficiencies in of itself, and even people in the industry who were previously skeptical have come to support it. I've never really been a fan of it for the simple reason it would be difficult to plan around, but it works nonetheless.

If you're interested in doing this sort of intermittent fasting thing, I'd recommend Martin Berkhan's work. He went a little crazy recently, but his work is still up on his Leangains site and he's universally regarded as one of the most knowledgeable on IF.

The Leangains Guide | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

Old 07-09-2015, 10:56 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,803,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
I have to disagree with the last two posts. There have been studies showing that short term fasting does not result in any nutritional deficiencies in of itself, and even people in the industry who were previously skeptical have come to support it. I've never really been a fan of it for the simple reason it would be difficult to plan around, but it works nonetheless.

If you're interested in doing this sort of intermittent fasting thing, I'd recommend Martin Berkhan's work. He went a little crazy recently, but his work is still up on his Leangains site and he's universally regarded as one of the most knowledgeable on IF.

The Leangains Guide | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health
I agree with this--there have been many studies lately centering around fasting, whether intermittent or extended, and there is even some evidence that it may help with cancer treatment. Another thing the OP may want to look into is the Carbohydrates Addict's Diet, which he/she is describing really. The Carbohydrate Addict's Official Home Page For me, this is the only weight loss plan that works and I have lost 50 lbs doing this and cutting out added sugars. I think the main value of it is that it retrains your brain to eat only when it's hungry b/c I don't think it's good for you at all to eat when you're not hungry and will only add weight, whether it's good food or junk. You will also have less tolerance for eating past satiety and that's also bad for your health.

Both of these are things that few naturally thin people are capable of doing--eating when not hungry and eating past satiety. BTW, I find this super easy to plan around--less cooking for me. But then I live by myself. Anyway, I like it for the very same reasons the OP stated. BTW OP, if you start this and find yourself not losing weight, go ahead and log calories, or do that anyway. It's possible, though not probable that you may exceed the number of cals you were eating before.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:32 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,015,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
BTW OP, if you start this and find yourself not losing weight, go ahead and log calories, or do that anyway. It's possible, though not probable that you may exceed the number of cals you were eating before.
I was thinking the same thing about paying attention to calories as well..

This is the third day that I have had a 250 calorie protein shake in the middle of the day and
a nice full meal in the evening..So far I am loving it..

Last night I joined friends to dine out and we all shared entrees at an Indian restaurant and it was
so nice to enjoy some of everything and some wine ...I would estimate that I ate about 800 calories..

I like not thinking about my meals during the day,then in the evening I am ready to fix something nice
or dine out..Tonight I am eating at a friends and having blackberry cobbler made from her backyard
blackberries !!

For those saying the plan is not healthy, I need to know why...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss