Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 02:02 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,654,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
One of my favorite treats are jelly beans and so now I will often consume up to a third of my calories via that horribly sugary delight; I lost another seven pounds since. So at least for me, consuming more calories via pure sugar versus protein didn't have much of an impact provided I stayed on/under budget. Perhaps I'm an outlier as well and am one of the very few who can use straight calorie counting effectively, but I doubt that.

I just have to say that I cannot control myself around Jelly Bellys. I made the mistake of buying one of the huge gallon jugs of them at Costco and I think I ate the whole thing myself far to quickly. Shoved so many in my mouth and enjoyed them that I got canker sores. My goodness they are addictive. They will NEVER come in my house again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 02:09 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,228,599 times
That sounds like me when I encounter black licorice or Good n' Plenty. Balls to the wall, man.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:38 AM

4,213 posts, read 4,739,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
For me, it's only health. And for me, I was one of the ones who couldn't lose for years doing the simple calories in, calories out. I had to change the timing of when I ate. Now I eat more calories and am losing.

Years of second shift work and eating the right things, but at the wrong times, messed me up.

This post was interesting to me.

Why does it matter what time you eat?

Doesn't it just matter that within any given 24 hours of a day, that you burn more calories than you consume?

Old 08-03-2017, 10:29 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post

Doesn't it just matter that within any given 24 hours of a day, that you burn more calories than you consume?
I eat dinner at 9-10 pm, after my work out. I go to bed at 12-1a. I'm a vampire. It doesn't seem to matter me. For me, it was burning more calories than i consumed within a 24 hour period, not specific times of meals. If you are active in the evening, then eating later makes sense. If you are sedentary, then you shouldn't need a big meal. I work out from 8-9:30 pm and when i come home, I need fuel in the form of a 400-500 calorie meal. I also eat throughout the day "grazing style".

Old 08-03-2017, 04:53 PM

9,850 posts, read 7,718,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post

I actually eat more calories than I used to (same low carb foods) and exercise less. I had worked night shift for many years and then couldn't lose the weight. I did a lot of research about hormones, circadian cycles, insulin resistance, leptin, sunshine, sleep, cortisol, etc. I changed my schedule to eat at 10 & 7, made sure I was outside in the morning and kept the lights low at night. I started falling asleep earlier, sleeping better, waking up earlier and the pounds have been falling off. I don't know if that would help anyone else, but it's changed my life.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:50 PM

9,850 posts, read 7,718,719 times
Here's a very general article that touches on the above:

Why Can

Old 08-06-2017, 05:56 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
What has been your experience not just with your efforts to lose weight, but also with the people you know? Do you find that these general rules about who has it easier to be true? And do you think the odds are against you because of your age, gender, etc.?

When I get serious I can lose weight now at almost 51 as I did back when I was in my 20's. For me it is all about calories in/calories out. I just lost 25 pounds and am determined to keep up with it with regular weigh ins and cutting back if I go up 5 lbs. I do not want to deprive myself but I also don't want to go back to my old and bad(too much sugar and breads) eating habits.

Weight loss isn't easy but I do believe everyone can do it.

What I do find harder as I get older is building muscle. I have lost the weight and I weigh the same as I did in college but my body doesn't look "anything" like it used to

My husband is 59 and he can still lose a few pounds just by cutting out his snacks.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:35 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,573,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I actually eat more calories than I used to (same low carb foods) and exercise less. I had worked night shift for many years and then couldn't lose the weight. I did a lot of research about hormones, circadian cycles, insulin resistance, leptin, sunshine, sleep, cortisol, etc. I changed my schedule to eat at 10 & 7, made sure I was outside in the morning and kept the lights low at night. I started falling asleep earlier, sleeping better, waking up earlier and the pounds have been falling off. I don't know if that would help anyone else, but it's changed my life.
I will support the theory that other environmental factors play a role in weight loss/management. I believe that we need to sleep enough and also get out into the sun with some consistency in order for the complicated ecosystems that are our bodies to function efficiently. I find that my best weigh-ins are those after a good nights sleep.

But I would also counter that I sleep way better now that I've lost weight and so it may just all be part of the same cycle.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:41 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,573,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
When I get serious I can lose weight now at almost 51 as I did back when I was in my 20's. For me it is all about calories in/calories out. I just lost 25 pounds and am determined to keep up with it with regular weigh ins and cutting back if I go up 5 lbs. I do not want to deprive myself but I also don't want to go back to my old and bad(too much sugar and breads) eating habits.

Weight loss isn't easy but I do believe everyone can do it.

What I do find harder as I get older is building muscle. I have lost the weight and I weigh the same as I did in college but my body doesn't look "anything" like it used to

My husband is 59 and he can still lose a few pounds just by cutting out his snacks.
Clearly (if you've read my earlier posts in this thread) you know I agree with you. And it always bears repeating, weight loss isn't easy but it is simple; you don't need complex diets, charts/graphs or prepared foods to lose the weight. They may work for you but only because they create a consistent calorie deficit.

I've gotten to the point where when I hear people justifying why they can't lose weight (e.g., too old, medical conditions, work schedule) in my head I hear the low chant of "denial.... denial..... denial....). Everyone I know who is around our age (+/- 50 years old) and who loses weight almost always confesses how their previously held beliefs about weight loss were wrong.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:03 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Weight loss - simple on paper, hard to execute.

There is truth, especially for women, for the rate they lose weight to slow almost to a stop. But a little acceptance of this fact and some hard work, weight loss can be achieved.
People will always make excuses. I always say that when you are really ready to lose weight you will lose weight. Most people just aren't ready. They say are, but they fail, because they weren't ready.
When you are ready you will do what it takes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss