Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 12:24 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,573,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
I agree I think the low carb diets are stupid. Replacing that much carb with protein or fat is disgusting.
It's not the carb's that are the issue, it's that fact that you need to consume a large amount of them to feel and remain feeling full.

Using a calorie counting methodology to achieve weight loss naturally steers you away from the empty calories typically found in bread. If you have only 1,500 calories per day to use to sustain yourself you find that proteins are better options for you. And while the Atkins diet may have gone a bit overboard, 500 calories of sliced turkey breast is a way better option than a muffin or sandwich on thick cut bread. It's for similar reasons that sugar is a bad option as well.

A successful, sustainable diet requires a consistent calorie deficit. What sort of calories you consume will either help you succeed or sabotage your efforts. While a balanced approach imbued with moderation is the best way to go, identifying food groups or categories that are known diet-killers and avoiding them, as a rule, helps quite a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 07:01 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
I stick to pure juice with no sugar added, like cranbury or grape, still has 110 calories.
Olive oil is good with the crust. The pizza was a bit dry, nothing like a deep dish from pizza hut.
Cocoa krispies has vitamins/minerals and milk makes it better. I felt like buying cookies but had the cereal instead. I usually pick up what I missed the next day, like fiber. The day I had 3 cups of kale didn't make me fill full at all, that move was purely for health.

Do yourself a favor, go to your local bookstore, or Amazon and order yourself a book on nutrition.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
It was just juice with out the corn syrup or sugar added. I don't recall seeing if it was fortified but cranbury juice or dark fruit juices are good for us sometime, especially after only 2,500 calories in 140 hours. People keep losing the context.
Cranberry juice has to have a lot of sugar added in order for it to be palatable. Any juice at all is a poor choice, not unless you are juicing veggies.
Whole fruit is what you want to eat, not drinking juice. I really have to wonder where you get your information from.

Old 10-02-2017, 10:06 PM

1,195 posts, read 985,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post

Do yourself a favor, go to your local bookstore, or Amazon and order yourself a book on nutrition.
Half of the info out there is catered to truly fat people or outdated incorrect info influenced by big agriculture or the Michelle Obama types that want us to eat foods that sterilize and dumb us down.

Old 10-02-2017, 10:09 PM

1,195 posts, read 985,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Cranberry juice has to have a lot of sugar added in order for it to be palatable. Any juice at all is a poor choice, not unless you are juicing veggies.
Whole fruit is what you want to eat, not drinking juice. I really have to wonder where you get your information from.
You can't go that far to say all fruit juice is bad. I think it's unnatural to drink it as a daily habit but sometimes it's just what we need. Maybe you should focus on yourself, I'm an athlete doesn't go by the same rules. Preach to the bubble gut body builders.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:06 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
You can't go that far to say all fruit juice is bad. I think it's unnatural to drink it as a daily habit but sometimes it's just what we need. Maybe you should focus on yourself, I'm an athlete doesn't go by the same rules. Preach to the bubble gut body builders.

So you didn't really come here for advice.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-03-2017, 08:09 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,500,225 times
Quote:
Half of the info out there is catered to truly fat people or outdated incorrect info influenced by big agriculture or the Michelle Obama types that want us to eat foods that sterilize and dumb us down.
You believe foods like vegetables sterilize and dumb people down? Wow, that says a lot about you.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:40 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,662,130 times
Quote:
I agree I think the low carb diets are stupid. Replacing that much carb with protein or fat is disgusting.

Why is it disgusting? Our bodies are designed to burn fat as its primary fuel source. Compare it to a vehicle that is designed to run on 87 octane fuel but can also burn E85 ethanol as a secondary fuel source. Sure E85 will burn, but it burns less efficiently. Less mpg equals needing more of that fuel more frequently. Your body works the same way.

Since many of us grew up with a lifestyle full of carbs our bodies have adapted to use that fuel source since it is available in abundance. When you do that, the amount of fat being burned is negligible and is stored in the body. This causes weight gain unless you have an overly active metabolism.

Look at animals in nature. Most omnivorous creatures are lean. That's because they eat a lot of protein and fat.

A healthy person consumes a balance of (this isn't meant to be an all inclusive list):

1. Protein
2. healthy fats
3. Some carbs (mostly obtained from fruit and vegetables)
4. Fiber
5. A lot of water

An unhealthy person consumes:

1. An abundance of carbohydrates
2. Limited protein
3. Trans fats (processed or convenience foods)
4. An abundance of sugar

Low carb diets are far from stupid. They are actually putting your body back into the state in which it was designed to be in.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Why is it disgusting? Our bodies are designed to burn fat as its primary fuel source. Compare it to a vehicle that is designed to run on 87 octane fuel but can also burn E85 ethanol as a secondary fuel source. Sure E85 will burn, but it burns less efficiently. Less mpg equals needing more of that fuel more frequently. Your body works the same way.

Since many of us grew up with a lifestyle full of carbs our bodies have adapted to use that fuel source since it is available in abundance. When you do that, the amount of fat being burned is negligible and is stored in the body. This causes weight gain unless you have an overly active metabolism.

Look at animals in nature. Most omnivorous creatures are lean. That's because they eat a lot of protein and fat.

A healthy person consumes a balance of (this isn't meant to be an all inclusive list):

1. Protein
2. healthy fats
3. Some carbs (mostly obtained from fruit and vegetables)
4. Fiber
5. A lot of water
6. Whole grains

An unhealthy person consumes:

1. An abundance of carbohydrates
2. Limited protein
3. Trans fats (processed or convenience foods)
4. An abundance of sugar

Low carb diets are far from stupid. They are actually putting your body back into the state in which it was designed to be in.
I am a healthy person and I consume whole grains. Whole grains like quinoa, farro, black rice, etc.. have lots of fiber and nutrients. Beans are another powerhouse source of fiber and nutrients as well.

Some people do well on a low carb diet. Some people do not.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
You really have no idea what you are talking about. You post your cockamamie diet and the foods you eat and we are giving you lots of good feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss