Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 12:40 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
No I don't really think it is common sense. It isn't about that.. it is that you need to reduce your metabolic rate because the less you use your metabolism the longer you will live and the more healthy you will be. Either you eat less (so the metabolism has a little to do at a time) or you eat less and have it within a window of time so your metabolism isn't working all day long. So it isn't that you just "eat less" to remain thin, it is that you concentrate on keeping your metabolism low and as a side effect of that you get thin. People can be thin and eat all the time and exercise like nuts to keep thin but that behavior keeps your metabolism going all day and that causes stress on the body which is what really makes you age and get sick.

It isn't necessarily about dieting.

But on that note... it puts serious doubts in a lot of common claims like

- yo yo dieting is bad for you. Err no not really as it would just be like a fast.
- you can't eat less than 1200 per day because you won't get nutrients.
- you must take a multi vitamin if you are dieting to make sure you get the nutrients.
- The RMR calculators just have to be wrong because they routinely come out wayyy to high
- Strenious exercise is good for you because it gets the metabolism up and keeps it up for hours after you are done.

It doesn't matter what you eat...(this is exactly the point I am trying to make) health foods don't make you healthy. Keeping the metabolism low and reducing the stress on the body keeps you healthy. The food itself likely won't make a difference.
There may be some persuasive evidence of this type of calorie restriction, but it is still being debated. These articles are not concrete evidence. As for the bolded part, you will have to provide some more evidence.
Even if it were the best way to be healthy it will never catch on in this country because it is simply very hard to do.
Personally I will stick with what works for me, which is eating healthy foods, mostly plant based with some animal protein. I like to eat good food and exercise. I also dont necessarily believe those, 'common claims'.

Articles about eating healthy foods:

http://https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/...uality-counts/

https://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...y-eating-plate
https://familydoctor.org/nutrition-t...g-your-health/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 08:06 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
I think the operative phrase is that healthy food won’t necessarily make younlose weight. And separately we need to stop equating weight with health. There may be a relationship but a low weight may not mean good health and vice versa.

Old 04-01-2018, 11:27 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
I average about 1500 calories per day. To maintain my weight I could eat as much as 2000-2100. I eat at least five times per day and it works for me. I work out a lot. I guess if I was sedentary things would be different who knows.

Old 04-02-2018, 04:16 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,552,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I think the operative phrase is that healthy food won’t necessarily make younlose weight. And separately we need to stop equating weight with health. There may be a relationship but a low weight may not mean good health and vice versa.
Agreed to the extent that it is very true that you can be overweight eating kale if you eat too much of it. Which leads me to...

Quote:
I eat at least five times per day and it works for me. I work out a lot. I guess if I was sedentary things would be different who knows.
So you do exactly what these studies say will leave you dead and sick 10 years before people who are sedentary and eat 1 to 2x per day. Ok... then does it really work for you? I mean that is the question. Not sure why you posted. Assuming you are thin this is exactly what the above post is talking about. Thin but not healthy.

Quote:
There may be some persuasive evidence of this type of calorie restriction, but it is still being debated.
It is still being debated because there are large powers who don't want to see it be adopted but it got started again because there are studies going back to the early 1900s showing good results. One problem with the "eating healthy" campaign is that no one really knows what it is. Tomorrow they will tell you that something you are eating isn't healthy. Your kale could be soaked in chemicals and you not know it. So yes... they can talk about eating healthy but it is a moving target. And due to that I think there is no scientific basis for them to say "eating healthy" leads to health.

ETA: One reason I think it is key that people start adopting this is that I think if people had a different mindset about food it could really assist people in not only getting thin but being happy about it. Right now when people go on diets it seems such a nightmare because it is so far from wha they think they "should" be eating. But if that expectation was gone...

Old 04-07-2018, 10:15 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,552,074 times
Another study showing calorie restriction extends life in primates.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0405093241.htm

Old 04-07-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
Agreed to the extent that it is very true that you can be overweight eating kale if you eat too much of it. Which leads me to...

So you do exactly what these studies say will leave you dead and sick 10 years before people who are sedentary and eat 1 to 2x per day. Ok... then does it really work for you? I mean that is the question. Not sure why you posted. Assuming you are thin this is exactly what the above post is talking about. Thin but not healthy.

It is still being debated because there are large powers who don't want to see it be adopted but it got started again because there are studies going back to the early 1900s showing good results. One problem with the "eating healthy" campaign is that no one really knows what it is. Tomorrow they will tell you that something you are eating isn't healthy. Your kale could be soaked in chemicals and you not know it. So yes... they can talk about eating healthy but it is a moving target. And due to that I think there is no scientific basis for them to say "eating healthy" leads to health.

ETA: One reason I think it is key that people start adopting this is that I think if people had a different mindset about food it could really assist people in not only getting thin but being happy about it. Right now when people go on diets it seems such a nightmare because it is so far from wha they think they "should" be eating. But if that expectation was gone...
Ok. Well sure, I can be considered "thin" though I prefer "lean and fit". I have muscle and I actively lift. As for my health, well it’s a helluva lot better than it was. The jury’s still out as to how long I’ll live and considering-someone I knew just died of cancer in her 40s I’m just glad to be alive each day. There are no guarantees, regardless of your how well or poorly you eat. But I definitely prefer where I’m at now vs where I was two years ago, obese and barely climbing a flight of stairs and crying due to arthritic pain. No thanks. I can't afford to be sedentary. As for how many times I eat, I don't pay attention to studies. I go by what works for me. Other people do what works for them.

Last edited by riaelise; 04-07-2018 at 01:13 PM..

Old 04-08-2018, 06:20 PM

7,129 posts, read 12,670,656 times
From all the reading I've done on a "healthy diet," it seems the folks living in the Blue Zones are healthy by eating whole foods, heavy on the locally-grown veggies and fruits -- and low on the animal protein and they are quite active physically...

Little to none fast food and snack junk--or sodas...

Doesn't seem that complicated, does it?

Then I stroll down the snack aisles, the baked goods, and the soda and sugary drinks aisles at my grocery store and see our problem staring me in the face...

Old 04-09-2018, 12:06 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
From all the reading I've done on a "healthy diet," it seems the folks living in the Blue Zones are healthy by eating whole foods, heavy on the locally-grown veggies and fruits -- and low on the animal protein and they are quite active physically...

Little to none fast food and snack junk--or sodas...

Doesn't seem that complicated, does it?

Then I stroll down the snack aisles, the baked goods, and the soda and sugary drinks aisles at my grocery store and see our problem staring me in the face...
Not disagreeing! I just don't go down those aisles.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-09-2018, 01:45 PM

7,129 posts, read 12,670,656 times
Me, either...why put myself in the way of temptation. You'll find me loading up on produce and browsing in the ethnic food sections, mostly...on a Thai cooking kick lately.

Invented/modified a Thai soup recipe..took a basic recipe, eliminated the shredded chicken and added lots more veggies and rice noodles. Garlic and onions. Bok Choy. Carrots.

The base is low-sodium chicken stock, fish sauce, light coconut milk and some Thai hot sauce and lime juice. Plus some spices/herbs. Quite good and filling.

Old 04-09-2018, 02:43 PM

I have to go down those aisles all of the time. High calorie, high salt, high sugar food is everywhere. What gets me through is my little daily treats. So by eating my two Skinny Cow desserts that total 280 calories, I can easily pass up 500 calorie pecan twirls, ice cream pints, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss