Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 12:11 PM

42 posts, read 35,424 times

Advertisements

I’ve always been an advocate of giving yourself a cheat meal every now and then especially when your clean the other 6 days and working out hard .

However due to some injuries my workouts are limited .

So I’ve been doing keto for the past few weeks and feel amazing .

However; this next month I have something planned every weekend .

3 concerts both country and rap scene . A big family get together at a horse racing track . As well as my significant others birthday weekend .

4 straight weeks of an event which historically would be an all day drinking and eating event . But I feel so good on this keto that I want to continue on through with it despite what is planned .

I know the obvious is self control which I have had my whole life . But with a diet as strict and specific as keto how do I make it through so many drinking and cheat meal laden events?

Edit : I knew these events were comming up so I was very strict with my diet leading up to it . I let 4th of July be my last hoorah I’ve been on strict keto and zero alcohol since July 5th .
The other issue is the weekend of my last big concert football season starts and every year I use Sunday football as my all day drinking and cheat meal .

What should I do ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 02:24 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,995,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNy92 View Post
But with a diet as strict and specific as keto how do I make it through so many drinking and cheat meal laden events?
Limit the amount of drinking you do at these events. Have - or 2 alcoholic drinks, then switch over to something low or no carb (like water unsweetened ice tea).

Focus on the items you can eat without taking in too many refined carbs. For instance, have some BBQ or a grilled brat without a bun, then a SMALL serving of potato salad, etc.

Remember, the primary purpose of the event is to enjoy the company of your friends and family. The eating is supposed to be secondary to that!

Old 07-31-2018, 04:56 PM

I figured I could at least do vodka seltzer since there is no real carb count . And watch my eating the best of my
Ability . Mainly worried about the concerts . Such a big party scene at outdoor country shows it’ll be hard not to want to rage on

Old 08-01-2018, 08:10 AM

765 posts, read 474,229 times
i guess my main question is why such a strict diet? i know i didn't eat any carbs at all (with maybe 20 digressions in a four year period mostly with bread my heroin of choice, otherwise i never went near a grain of rice or a potato)..... for me i wanted to lower my A1C and try to conquer the diagnosis of diabetes, which did happen.

If there is a medical reason like epilepsy you are trying to control, then i can see why digressing off your diet might prove dangerous.

otherwise, is it just that going "off the wagon" might prove a disaster to your will power to stay on this diet??? all extreme diets aren't going to be workable for a long period of time. i would just try to be easier on yourself and find a few lesser evils within your diet parameters so that you don't feel so guilty. good luck!!!!

Old 08-01-2018, 09:00 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,482,440 times
I assume you are on Keto for weight loss since it is in this forum. You are probably overthinking this. One cheat meal or day will not sabotage your plan. That said, minimize the cheat by automatically omitting high carb foods and drinks. Avoid sugary drinks and heavy beer. I used to be a beer drinker years ago. I will not have only 1 or 2 low carb beers and mixed drinks after that. I only use low or no carb mixers such as water, seltzer etc. The next day just go back to your regular plan. By the way, exercise does not really make a difference for weight loss so don't sweat it. Sure it burns some calories but not enough to make a big difference. This is all assuming you just do regular daily workouts and are not a fitness guru. It is good and necessary but not a deal breaker.

It takes a while to get used to it but eventually you should know what has a lot of sugar/carbs and what does not. At a BBQ for example, avoid the BBQ sauce, potato salad, rice etc. It's OK to eat the meat, green beans, salad. You get the idea. You could eat some of the foods as mentioned, just keep the portions small.

The diet is not extreme. All you have to do is avoid foods that are not good for you anyway. You count carbs instead of calories, same basic premise just a bit different. You are still conscious of what you eat just like with any diet.

I personally don't count anything, I just avoid the high carb foods. I certainly do not count carbs for vegetables. The rest falls into place.

Last edited by gguerra; 08-01-2018 at 09:12 AM..

Old 08-01-2018, 09:11 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,491,161 times
Sorry, I don't plan when it comes to social events. I just enjoy them and get back on track later. Life's too short.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I assume you are on Keto for weight loss since it is in this forum. You are probably overthinking this. One cheat meal or day will not sabotage your plan. That said, minimize the cheat by automatically omitting high carb foods and drinks. Avoid sugary drinks and heavy beer. I used to be a beer drinker years ago. I will not have only 1 or 2 low carb beers and mixed drinks after that. I only use low or no carb mixers such as water, seltzer etc. The next day just go back to your regular plan. By the way, exercise does not really make a difference for weight loss so don't sweat it. Sure it burns some calories but not enough to make a big difference. This is all assuming you just do regular daily workouts and are not a fitness guru. It is good and necessary but not a deal breaker.

It takes a while to get used to it but eventually you should know what has a lot of sugar/carbs and what does not. At a BBQ for example, avoid the BBQ sauce, potato salad, rice etc. It's OK to eat the meat, green beans, salad. You get the idea. You could eat some of the foods as mentioned, just keep the portions small.

The diet is not extreme. All you have to do is avoid foods that are not good for us anyway. You count instead of calories, same basic premise just a bit different. You are still conscious of what you eat just like with any diet.
I wonder - do you exercise?

if people are physically able to exercise, THEY SHOULD. To say that it "doesn't make a difference" is totally off-base. Sure, weight loss is all about achieving a caloric deficit (which can be achieved by diet alone), but you'll be weak and soft and still out of shape. No thanks! I'd rather be firm and not have to do any deprivation dieting to get the job done.

You don't need to be a "fitness guru" either.

Besides, the OP is also active on the fitness forum, so his lack of exercise is only temporary.

and your assertion about "foods not being good for us" is up for debate.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:27 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,824,977 times
When I was actively losing weight, (I am maintaining now) and I had an event to go to, I would make sacrifices the week prior to give myself some extra room for indulging. You can also eat a healthy meal or snack before going so you are not as hungry. As for drinking, try sticking to only a couple of drinks and drink lots of water in between.

This is where food-type restrictive diets lose people. If you are a social person and enjoy going to events, lunches, dinners, or hosting people you will more than likely end up failing a keto-type diet.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:56 AM

Thank you for the advice everyone .

No real need for me to do keto , I just like how quickly my body leans out so I usually do like a 2-3 week cycle of it . But this is my first time following it to the best of my ability .

Basically just wanted to do a quick lean out / detox of the little bit of flab and bloat I gained early in the summer from when I couldn’t lift with my injuries and drank a little too much on the weekends.

I’m gonna be strict all week ( normal balanced healthy diet for me ) and enjoy my time on the weekends with what’s planned . I figure 6 healthy days and working out and the fact I am already in shape and carrying muscle I don’t 1 day a week enjoying the end of the summer will deter me much .

Even when I do non keto my
Carb sources are only veggies , nuts , brown rice , sweet patatoe , Ezekiel bread

And maybe once a week I enjoy an ipa or two and a nice chicken sandwich and onion rings .
Occasional binge on pizza

Old 08-01-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNy92 View Post
Thank you for the advice everyone .

No real need for me to do keto , I just like how quickly my body leans out so I usually do like a 2-3 week cycle of it . But this is my first time following it to the best of my ability .

Basically just wanted to do a quick lean out / detox of the little bit of flab and bloat I gained early in the summer from when I couldn’t lift with my injuries and drank a little too much on the weekends.

I’m gonna be strict all week ( normal balanced healthy diet for me ) and enjoy my time on the weekends with what’s planned . I figure 6 healthy days and working out and the fact I am already in shape and carrying muscle I don’t 1 day a week enjoying the end of the summer will deter me much .

Even when I do non keto my
Carb sources are only veggies , nuts , brown rice , sweet patatoe , Ezekiel bread

And maybe once a week I enjoy an ipa or two and a nice chicken sandwich and onion rings .
Occasional binge on pizza
Well once (or sometimes two, depending on life) a week I have a cheat day and eat crap. Still have muscle, still pretty lean. I guess if I want to be "super lean" maybe it'd make a difference, but I'm happy where I'm at.

The key thing is returning to healthier eating and not eating garbage day in and day out. That packs on pounds. Healthier carbs (vs. chips and stuff) are always preferred, keeping in mind that portion sizes are not huge. One medium sweet potato for example, not the supersized ones they sell in the stores.

You need to not be in a dieter mindset and realize that life happens. One day a week for even weeks isn't going to truly ruin your gains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss