Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 07:31 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,906,197 times

Advertisements

Here is the video where Dr. Fung speaks about the underlying cause of obesity and how the "eat less/move more" model has a 99% failure rate:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5o0a4p_3U&t=219s

Let me reiterate that I try to avoid the "true believer" perspective. If over time IF proves to be a false concept, or fraudulent, or whatever direction the practice takes in terms of validity in its practice, I would want to follow the evidence, no matter where it goes. Truth finding, not wishful thinking, is what is valuable.

It's important to say that because humans tend to believe all sorts of things, based on their desire that the things are true. But opinions which are held tentatively, based on current evidence, are more scientific (and more apt to hold up under scrutiny).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 04:40 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Here is the video where Dr. Fung speaks about the underlying cause of obesity and how the "eat less/move more" model has a 99% failure rate:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5o0a4p_3U&t=219s

Let me reiterate that I try to avoid the "true believer" perspective. If over time IF proves to be a false concept, or fraudulent, or whatever direction the practice takes in terms of validity in its practice, I would want to follow the evidence, no matter where it goes. Truth finding, not wishful thinking, is what is valuable.

It's important to say that because humans tend to believe all sorts of things, based on their desire that the things are true. But opinions which are held tentatively, based on current evidence, are more scientific (and more apt to hold up under scrutiny).
It has a 99% failure rate because 99% of the people don't carry on eating less and moving more.
If you burn more calories than you consume you will lose weight.
It's physics that even the dumbest can understand.

Old 12-18-2018, 01:49 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,575,509 times
I'm sorry, this is just dumb, dumb dumb....

Ultimate versus proximate is flawed because you can clearly qualify eat less/move more as a lifestyle modification, not just a plan to treat obesity. This also empowers people who run and hide behind the "it's not my fault" lie they tell themselves.

Also, the 99% is remarkably subjective and not even close to representative of any meaningful statistical analysis. My insulin resistance was not the reason I was 80 lbs overweight, eating to a consistent daily energy surplus was. Most of the people I know who have lost weight did so by reducing consumption and eventually increasing movement.

Dr. Fung is trying to sell books and book paid speaking engagements, more power to him.

Old 12-18-2018, 02:21 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
It has a 99% failure rate because 99% of the people don't carry on eating less and moving more.
If you burn more calories than you consume you will lose weight.
It's physics that even the dumbest can understand.
If you search hard enough you will always find someone dumber than you ever thought possible. That guy who dreamed up the Laws of Thermodynamics had a point. Then there's that one about motion Newton penned. Objects at rest tend to remain at rest.

Old 12-18-2018, 03:12 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,819,357 times
So many crackpots that want to sell books to people that allow their common sense to be suspended on the hope of losing weight.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:51 PM

Dumb? I have two points in rebuttal:

1. Dr. Fung graduated from the University of Toronto and did his residency at UCLA. Nobody who had done that could honestly be characterized as dumb.

2. Just because an author, doctor, researcher or other public figure has published books (three in Dr. Fung's case), it doesn't necessarily then follow that their work is a fraud, or they are only doing it for money, or they are somehow dishonest. I have four books published and for sale on Amazon, three on string pedagogy, but I did not write those books with the primary objective to generate income. Neither, I am certain, did Dr. Fung.

It is not entirely clear if people are saying Dr. Fung is dumb or his ideas are dumb, but they are mistaken in either case.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:30 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,252,935 times
Quote:
I have four books published and for sale on Amazon, three on string pedagogy, but I did not write those books with the primary objective to generate income.
Found 'em.

Old 12-19-2018, 07:47 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,166,449 times
Quote:
Dumb? I have two points in rebuttal:

1. Dr. Fung graduated from the University of Toronto and did his residency at UCLA. Nobody who had done that could honestly be characterized as dumb.

2. Just because an author, doctor, researcher or other public figure has published books (three in Dr. Fung's case), it doesn't necessarily then follow that their work is a fraud, or they are only doing it for money, or they are somehow dishonest. I have four books published and for sale on Amazon, three on string pedagogy, but I did not write those books with the primary objective to generate income. Neither, I am certain, did Dr. Fung.

It is not entirely clear if people are saying Dr. Fung is dumb or his ideas are dumb, but they are mistaken in either case.
So, there are plenty of idiots in colleges all across the country. In this case though, he doesn't seem like an idiot, just a shill selling his book. He reminds me of Dr. Oz.

Old 12-19-2018, 07:56 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,076,440 times
Eating less and moving more is hard, so people fail.

People I know who have lost weight and kept it off changed their lifestyle. They eat less, eat better and they exercise regularly.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
So, there are plenty of idiots in colleges all across the country. In this case though, he doesn't seem like an idiot, just a shill selling his book. He reminds me of Dr. Oz.
You have every right to your views and impression, but I strongly disagree with you. My impression is that he is working to help his diabetes patients, not line his own pockets. I just don't see that, don't agree with your perspective. I could be wrong, of course.

And apparently he is having success with these patients. So that has to be taken into consideration, I think. If Intermittent Fasting and low-carb diets facilitate Type2 Diabetes patients normalizing their lives, and being able to stop using insulin, that would be the defining issue, I would think. Not, that he reminds you of some television personality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss