Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 02:44 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,250,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Uh no fruit? That's nuts!
I only eat fruit that I have to put sweetener on.

It doesn't matter that other fruits are nutritious.
My meter tells me they are extremely unhealthy for a diabetic to eat except on special occasions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 04:03 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post

My meter tells me they are extremely unhealthy for a diabetic to eat except on special occasions.
you're diabetic. that kinda goes without saying that you have to watch it. im hypertensive, so it goes without saying that i need to watch my sodium intake. For people who aren't, there's no reason not to eat fruit. I eat it fresh, picked off my bush. don't see any need to add sweeteners unless the fruit isn't ripe/overripe.

Old 01-21-2019, 04:05 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Yeah, I don't get the no fruit thing. It is so nutritious. I like to be seasonal with fruit so in the winter its apples and oranges. In the summer its stone fruits. And berries whenever they are in season.
Low carb/Atkins/Paleo has been a thing for awhile now and yet the obesity problem is no closer to being solved.

The biggest problems with these diets is that it is hard to maintain them as a lifestyle. Sure a few here will say it's easy because they can do it. But they are the outliers. Of course CICO is not easy either, but at least there are no off limit foods.
I cannot imagine it is healthy at all to do a high protein/fat diet if it ends up having the yo yo effect of going off and eating carbs then switching back.
The only diet that works for me is one that isn't exclusive, but inclusive.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:04 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:

Diabetic is another story. For people without diabetes fruit is a wonderful thing to eat.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:03 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Quote:

Never heard of a fruit that you have to put sugar on. Maybe grape fruit, but frankly it's better without sugar.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:30 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,250,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Never heard of a fruit that you have to put sugar on. Maybe grape fruit, but frankly it's better without sugar.
I don't like strawberries, raspberries or blackberries without sweetener.
I eat raspberries all the time with Splenda on them.
I do not get a blood sugar spike from them.

I can't eat grapefruit. Grapefruit juice interacts with atorvastatin.

Old 01-22-2019, 05:36 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,528,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Uh no fruit? That's nuts!

First of all fruit has fiber, which is important for digestive health. So it doesn't have "low food value". On the contrary, fruit also contains many important vitamins and minerals. High fiber foods can fill you up, but fruit wasn't meant to be a meal.
Fruits like apples, oranges, and bananas contain high amounts of fructose which, like glucose and sucrose, is a simple sugar. Most people on low-carb diets prefer to avoid simple sugars.

But many of us enjoy low-fructose fruits like avocados, some varieties of tomatoes, and squashes. In addition we eat an abundance of green and/or cruciferous veggies so aren't missing out on nutrients. I'm on keto for health reasons, not to lose weight, and I eat way more veggies and fruit than I ever did before I went low carb.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:06 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,676,651 times
One week is nothing to really base the effectiveness of a diet on. I always gain a pound or two my first week eating healthy and exercising. I've seen it enough times not to question it. I'm sure it's water retention due to an increase in certain types of foods. The only way to gain or lose body weight not due to water retention is by eating more or less calories than you burn, despite what anyone else says. Your body cannot create body weight from thin air. Make sure you are eating healthy fats and you definitely have to count your calories on a high fat diet. I've eaten low fat, high carb back in the 90s and gotten lean. I've done it eating high protein as well. My calorie count was the only thing that changed.

The big difference between the diets is how you feel. On a high carb starchy diet my overall cholesterol was drastically low, along with my blood sugar. Now I try to work in a lot of salmon, avocado, nuts, and olive oil, along with 3-4 servings of fruit daily. High fat foods have a lot of calories so you have to use things like avocados or nuts sparingly. One of my favorite dinners lately is a big bowl of salad seasoned with avocado, and chopped pecans, along with grilled salmon and whatever other vegetables I feel like adding. The lettuce and veggies balances the calorie count as opposed to pairing the salmon and avocado with a plateful of rice and potatoes.

I personally feel much better on a high (healthy) fat diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss