Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 01:57 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,745,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
so if I walk 5 mi. a day 7 days a week will that help? I heard doing 30 min. a day on whatever it may be will help...but I need extra so ..............
I know this question wasnt directed at me..but Id cut down on cardio to about three days and go heavy on the weights three days and take at least one day off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 04:32 PM

938 posts, read 3,506,984 times
Quote:
so if I walk 5 mi. a day 7 days a week will that help? I heard doing 30 min. a day on whatever it may be will help...but I need extra so ..............
You'd be a lot better off doing a higher-intensity exercise. Walking really doesn't get your heart rate up very much and takes a long time, walking 5 miles would take you at least an hour and a half. I'd recommend doing some jogging or running, you can burn the same amount of calories in much less time, and the higher intensity of the exercise will make cause you go gain muscle and tone, and lose weight quicker.

Also, if you want to tone up you need to use heavier weights. If the exercise is easy and you don't get sore (at least the first few times you do it), its too light. A higher intensity workout will burn more calories, build more muscle, and make you lose weight faster. You will gain very little muscle mass if you use light weights, the body builds muscle after you take a lot out of it, small tears form in the muscle fiber (making you sore), and it then grows back stronger and larger.

And again, diet is important. For weight loss, IMO it is more important than excercise. Again, how much do you weigh? You may be eating far too few calories with only 1400-1700 calories per day. Here is a simple calorie needs calculator you can plug you info into and get a ballpark estimate for what you need to be eating everyday (to maintain you current weight or to lose weight, I'd recommend normal weight loss rather than extreme weight loss): Calorie Calculator - Daily Caloric Needs

Old 07-29-2008, 05:26 PM

13,003 posts, read 1,019,682 times
Default Plateauing!

This happens to all of us. Be careful not to let your calories go to low. You do have to eat to lose weight. I am 5' 3" and have dropped 36.4 lbs (Down from 154.4) over one year, but I eat 1800 to 2100 calories a day. I follow the bodybuilder's diet, which I believed helped me the most. Your exercise plan...Does it include weight training of any kind? I also added a Polar heart monitor to my workout. I try to hit 400 to 600 calories at each workout. I cycle, swim, and do cardio three to four times a week; but I weight train four times a week. I hope this helps. Oh, yes, I have 5 lbs left and have been dropping .5 of a lb a week now. But I am still dropping weight.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:26 PM

194 posts, read 299,226 times
Quote:
so if I walk 5 mi. a day 7 days a week will that help?
Not really. Weight loss is not a science, just a money-making market. You lose weight by burning more calories than you consume. Your problem isn't your calorie consumption - it's your lack of calorie burning. Walking will certainly keep you toned, but if you've hit a plateau, it won't do much for weight loss.

As others have said, your body has probably gotten used to your routine. Because of that, you're burning less calories than you were when you started. For "fun" exercise, I nominate swimming, kickboxing, or cycling. It'll get your heart rate WAY up and you'll burn far more calories than walking, which is a low intensity workout.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:26 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,970,709 times
Quote:
If you are starving your body, and it looks like you are, then it will hold on to fat. Walking more isn't the ticket- eating smart and working out smart is the ticket.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:06 AM

13,003 posts, read 1,019,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BButrell View Post
Not really. Weight loss is not a science, just a money-making market.
BB,

I could not have said it better myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss