Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 02:58 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,790,682 times

Advertisements

Say for the last year you've increased your beer intake from 3-4 beers a week to 2 beers a day, would that be considered excessive alcohol consumption? I've heard all sorts of differing opinions on this, one guy looked at me like I was crazy saying that hardly is anything at all since he has been drinking 3-4 beers and sometimes a glass of wine daily for the last 30 years (he is 64 right now without any major health issues), others say it is a serious problem if it is that many beers. What is the reality here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 04:15 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
Have you asked why his (I'm assuming you're talking about a man) drinking has increased?

From what I've read, it's not too much for a man to drink. Google it.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:13 PM

18,021 posts, read 27,468,060 times
To honestly be able to drink two beers a day for the rest of my life would be a dream of mine; an obsession to be exact.

We don't get drunk off two beers. When I drink two beers, each of my beers drink two more beers, then those beers each drink two more beers, and before you know it, I'm drunk.

I once mowed the back yard when I got home from work. This was about 3/4 of an acre, so this was gonna be a project. Now, since I was "working so hard", I thought it would be fair to have a beer after every other time I dumped the clippings. So this went on for a few hours and after it was dark, I finished mowing the lawn.

I was rather tired and catching my breath, and had a good buzz going. So I continued to drink my beers. I noticed I was on my 11th beer, it's 11 o'clock pm, and it's Thursday night, so I've got to go to bed. But not until I finish off that last beer. Thank God I had some bourbon left to get me through the night.

For me, the problem comes with the stopping of drinking. If you can drink two beers and stop, you're a doctor's or a nutritionists wet dream.

Not a problem.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:41 AM

603 posts, read 2,340,107 times
If you have to have those two beers in order to survive, you have the beginnings of a problem. If your consumption of alcohol is affecting the other areas of your life, you have a serious addiction. I don't think it matters exactly how many you are drinking.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:25 AM

18,021 posts, read 27,468,060 times
First of all, alcoholism is not an addiction; it's a very selective allergy.

If you're only drinking two a day, that's good for you. Ask any doctor. Take a poll and survey 100 doctors. 90% of the population can process an ounce 100 proof alcohol per hour and there are 24 hours in a day. What's 2 beers? Not even a buzz!

Alcoholism drives it's victim to drink vast amounts of alcohol without any apparent ill effects until the latter progression of the disease. In fact, the newly developing alcoholic seems to perform better with alcohol to a point.

Being an alcoholic truly has nothing to do with how much you drink. But once alcoholism develops in one who's predestined to become one, they go from a position of being able to control the amount they take-somewhat- to blatant abuse.

If you're not an alcoholic, you can't drink yourself that way. Period! To beers is nothing!

Please get your facts straight.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:59 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,729 times
Two beers is not a problem, unless it's the last two you count of a 30pk for that day.

I drink 8-12 a day, but my day starts at 4:30am and goes till 8-12pm. If I start to get buzzed, I drink water for a while. When I have a couple beers I'm relaxed and I slow down...which is good. I don't drink around kids(unless we are smoke'n/grill'n something together), and can stop anytime. I just like the taste of beer, tea....but not coffee.

Worst thing is the price.

Control and moderation, the key to everything.........even your wife.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:31 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,095,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charz View Post
If you have to have those two beers in order to survive, you have the beginnings of a problem. If your consumption of alcohol is affecting the other areas of your life, you have a serious addiction. I don't think it matters exactly how many you are drinking.
ditto

How would you feel if you didn't have those 2 beers? Would you miss it? Or would skipping them be no big deal? If you can do without the beer without missing it, I wouldn't worry about it. But if you feel like you need them, that can be a sign of a problem. If you are worried, the best person to talk to would be your doctor.

As far as your physical health goes, my main concerns would be the liver, and the brain.

The liver foundation says up to 1 drink a day for women, 2 drinks a day for men is probably okay.
Alcohol-Induced Liver Disease

I couldn't find any specific recommendation online for alcohol-related dementia, but I know it is associated with heavy drinkers. Two drinks/day is not considered heavy so in all likelihood, you are okay in this regard, too.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:49 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
Why is this in weightloss?

You should be having zero beers if you are trying to lose weight.
;P

I think different generations see drinking in different ways.
But health wise its two max per day. (male)
I would just be reviewing the cause of increase and need.
Alcohol and Public Health - FAQs

Why not switch it to red wine for your heart?

Old 09-22-2008, 09:47 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,095,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Why is this in weightloss?

You should be having zero beers if you are trying to lose weight.
;P
That's a very good point! lol I'm dieting, and I've been sneaking in an occasional glass of wine or lite Smirnoff Ice, but I'm trying to keep it to a minimum. I'd rather get to eat food.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:08 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,165,593 times
If you have to ask if it's too much then it probably is too much.......you can't compare your intake to anyone elses.....

What I came in here to say is that it's actually good for you to have a small glass of wine each night.....my pops calls it a "chin chin".....lol, and alright, i'm still young and i've only been legally allowed to drink for 6 years so I do occassionally however, because I want to be able to wake up the next morning and run or do some mtn. biking I know my limits. it's all about limits .

They do have these new jack daniels drinks that have like 50%fewer calories and 0sugar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss