Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 05:48 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,949,452 times

Advertisements

Tell me your favorite food(s) to eat when watching your calories. This should be low fat/low carb and details please. Breakfast seems to be the hardest for dieting.

I just discovered Cabbage Soup from the Good Housekeeping Soup Diet. It is low fat/low carb and good for the winter months. I will keep this as a regular soup to eat as it's very healthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 02:01 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
I dont do diet foods. I just eat things I like that are not terrible.
But a low fat low carb breakfast: (some favorites)

Turkey Bacon Strips
Almonds (no salt - raw | helps with fat burning)
Blackberries/raspberries (mixed in yogurt)(frozen mix is cheaper)
Plain LF yogurt

Egg white Omlets
salsa mixed in for a southwest thing
Cheese optional

Whole grain toast
LF vanilla yogurt

For lazy days:
LC smoothies/bars/meal replacements

Old 11-22-2008, 02:17 PM

149 posts, read 762,103 times
If you're trying to lose weight, you're better off going the low-carb route than the low-fat route. Why? Because it's more filling and still low calorie. So there's less hunger pangs, less temptation to cheat, and no blood sugar crashes.

My favorite breakfast is 2 eggs, 1 bacon, and stir-fryed peppers, mushrooms, and tomatoes. Another favorite is a bowl of oatmeal with butter and milk.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:26 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Fat doesnt prevent blood sugar crashing. Fiber does. If anything its the higher calories from a high fat diet that is keeping you satisfied. Just for your use as you want...eggs should be limited to 4/week max. (i know i cried about it too..lol) Bacon - go with canadian bacon and nitrate free (atkins said to avoid nitrates even) You want to avoid dairy that has hormones in it if you are trying to lose weight.

I just am putting that up there because its something you can tweak if your current plan is not working without really much of a change to shock you.

Low carb/low fat was a "fad diet" called kimkins and people lose a ton on it I guess.
You should review your total fat intake though to see if you are pushing it. Weightloss can happen but whats going on with your vascular system and the saturated fats? I use butter too instead of fake butter. I do think its better for you than hydrogenated crap.

Get some canadian bacon though just because its awesome!
LOL

Old 11-22-2008, 02:29 PM

Although I do not follow a diet myself, I like the philosophy of the South Beach Diet. Good fats, good carbs verses bad.

For breakfast this morning, I had 2 egg omelet (1 yolk), with broccoli and parmesan cheese added, 2 strips bacon, 1 slice whole wheat bread, coffee.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:42 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,139,533 times
I love grilled chicken and avocados

Old 11-24-2008, 07:26 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,718,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasape View Post
If you're trying to lose weight, you're better off going the low-carb route than the low-fat route. Why? Because it's more filling and still low calorie. So there's less hunger pangs, less temptation to cheat, and no blood sugar crashes.

My favorite breakfast is 2 eggs, 1 bacon, and stir-fryed peppers, mushrooms, and tomatoes. Another favorite is a bowl of oatmeal with butter and milk.
Oatmeal??? Isn't Oatmeal high carb???

Well it was when I tried Atkins.

For the OP: Egg whites scrambled with green veggies when I have time. Fiber One bar and a coffee when I'm in a hurry.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:12 PM

I believe one of the only times good carbs like oatmeal are ok is at breakfast. Other times good carbs are ok is when you are active like exercising.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:34 AM

Cottage Cheese is an excellent food for watching calories. I get the fat free and add cinnamon on it or have it with tomatoes and a little dressing (salad).

Old 11-29-2008, 09:39 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,843,220 times
I have low fat vanilla yog with fruit (froz strawberries,blueberries,raspberries, peaches.) 1% cottage cheese with spinach salad and fat free Caesar. If we go out for lunch/brunch I have poached eggs on whole wheat dry or grilled chicken breast on whole wheat. Spinach salad with dinner-no potatoes (an occasional baked sweet), very lean cuts of meat.

As a treat angel food cake with fruit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss