Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2009, 01:47 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times

Advertisements

Checked a book out from the library having to do with carbohydrate addiction. That's me to a T. I've only read a few chapters and haven't gotten to the program yet. I once made a box of Kraft Mac&cheese deluxe and ate the entire pot. Didn't even put it in a bowl. Just ate it right out of the pot. My big weakness is white flour based crackers and pasta. Cheese crackers will disappear within a day or two. The book so far is about insulin and another chemical the body produces. Insulin makes you hungry and want to store fat while the other chemical will cause you to use the fat stores for energy. It's an over simplification of several chapters. The husband/wife authors both have PHDs in medical and science fields so they aren't some ignorant celebrity author. I'm also going back on the exercise routine but slow and easy this time. I'm taking the stairs at work twice a day as part of my routine rounds and twice a day I'm doing push-ups, sit-ups, and deep knee bends. I work at a hospital boiler room. I'm approaching 40 in February, 5 feet 5 inches tall, and weigh this morning 211 lbs. I use to be in fantastic shape during my 8 years in the Navy. Shoulder injury started my downward spiral forcing me out of the service. No more excuses. I even started a personal journal this morning with my goals and resolutions and had my wife read them. Will weigh myself and check the blood pressure and body fat % every week. Will come back weekly for updates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 04:03 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times
Well, good luck to you. We're on your side.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 01-01-2009, 04:12 PM

Frustrating when I remember being able to jog 2 miles, do 50 push-ups and sit-ups, and workout with a 200 lb bench press. Oh well. Time to take it slow and steady.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:28 PM

269 posts, read 913,987 times
Sailordave, checkout Sparkpeople.com ... lots of great articles, ability to input calories burned and intake ... and lots of support!! I love it

Old 01-03-2009, 02:24 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,495,356 times
Hi my name is Lilly and I'm a carb addict. When I start eating them I can't stop till I'm way past full. But if I try to eliminate them I get cravings and break down and eat them and then I feel weak and worthless and I can't stop eating them till I'm way past full.

So this carb addict has eliminated most processed carbs including potatoes from my everyday diet, but I have occasional treat days where I indulge in as many carbs as I wish with no guilt, no punishment. I lost a whole bunch of weight and have kept it off for 7 or 8 years now. Find what works for you and do it. Good luck!

Old 01-03-2009, 03:44 PM

My exercises are getting easier. Really feel a difference in my body after only 3 days. Am only doing push-ups, sit-ups, deep knee bends, and stairs twice a day.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:19 PM

5 posts, read 13,393 times
Great attitude.

You're doing exactly the right things.

So many people think that to lose weight you have to join a gym. Then they don't go.

It's a much better technique to put exercising into your lifestyle. Taking the stairs and doing your other exercises at work is fantastic.

The weight loss journal is a great idea too.

Keep at it.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:37 PM

Slipped up yesterday. Ate a traditional Cajun breakfast of fried eggs and left over rice. My mistake was using too much rice, or rather all the left over rice. I was left feeling sluggish and unable to focus or concentrate. Also had cravings for carbohydrate foods all day. Still managed to do my exercises but I struggled to get moving. Feel better today.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:33 PM

5 posts, read 13,393 times
Shake it off. Tomorrow's another day.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:14 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,495,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Slipped up yesterday. Ate a traditional Cajun breakfast of fried eggs and left over rice. My mistake was using too much rice, or rather all the left over rice. I was left feeling sluggish and unable to focus or concentrate. Also had cravings for carbohydrate foods all day. Still managed to do my exercises but I struggled to get moving. Feel better today.
Sounds like you've analyzed it and learned from it. Good job! Keep it up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss