Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2009, 01:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,795 times

Advertisements

Did you see cover of the January edition of Oprah. I thought I was seeing double! There were two Oprahs on the cover. One Oprah was skinny. ! The other one was huge. Oprah had lost a tremendous amount of weight and came on to her show wearing her "skinny jeans." Today, she couldn't fit into those jeans even if they used a jack hammer. Why? Because when Oprah lost weight, she stopped eating the wrong foods and went on a diet. But when the diet stops, the weight comes right back on. Stay with me here... The only way to keep it off is by changing the behaviors that got you overweight in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 07:31 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,016 times
I have never understood why people go to all the trouble to loose that weight and soon as they reach their goal, they go back to their old habits and pack it back on..

Over the last 3 years I have lost 45 pounds by changing my eating habits, my goal weight was 130 pounds. I was enjoying how I was eating so much that I kept it up and ended up going down to 122 before I figured out I had to increase my calories to maintain where I was. I have managed to stay at 122 now for about 6 month. I don't plan to change my eating habits, I enjoy what I am eating to much.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:39 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Default Get back in the saddle again....

Well, count me as one who has also lost 35-40 pounds more than once and then slowly over time, put it back on again. Every time I say it will NOT happen again! It seems like it happens when I hit a rough patch of life and am stressed and not watching what I eat. It really makes me mad at myself for going to that much work to get the weight off and then having to do it all over again.

The fact of the the matter is, like the OP stated you have to MAINTAIN good habits. If for whatever combination of reasons you were overweight to begin with~~bad eating habits, emotional eating, genetics whatever, you have to realize that you DO have a tendency to put on excess weight and you will likely have to be very vigilant about it all your life.

But...I figure no need to beat yourself up about it. Get back up on the horse so to speak and do what you need to do. So, once again, I'm dieting....and hoping I've learned my lesson!!!

Last edited by kaykay; 04-07-2009 at 07:51 AM..

Old 04-07-2009, 07:52 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
I have never understood why people go to all the trouble to loose that weight and soon as they reach their goal, they go back to their old habits and pack it back on..
[snip] I don't plan to change my eating habits
Good grief! No one plans to give up the habits they worked so hard to establish. But as you know, losing weight requires a lot of hard work and concentration. And unfortunately, life doesn't always allow us the luxury of devoting our energies to one thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay
But...I figure no need to beat yourself up about it. Get back up on the horse so to speak and do what you need to do.
Absolutely right. Re-gaining the weight is not a failure; giving up and not getting back on that horse is.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:39 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
Good for you, kaykay. Keep up your great attitude which is half the battle.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-07-2009, 05:46 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
I love Oprah but she needs to seek out a good therapist.

She is not being honest with herself about something (or somethings) in her life.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:52 PM

2 posts, read 10,714 times
Nobody saw her show about Oprah's health issues? Her thyroid quit working. If you do not have enough thyroxin in your system, you can look at food and gain weight. I have been on both sides of that fence. Until I got pregnant with my first child, I had an underactive thyroid. While pregnant, I developed grave's disease which in turn caused a goiter and an overactive thyroid. I was eating everything in sight but still lost weight. I came out of the hospital from having my baby 10 pounds lighter than when I got pregnant. I eventually had to have my thyroid out and went on synthyroid (synthetic thyroxin). A few years ago, my doctor decreased the dosage and I gained 20 pounds in 3 weeks! Unless you have been there, you have no idea.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:08 PM

37,592 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iloverugby1 View Post
Did you see cover of the January edition of Oprah. I thought I was seeing double! There were two Oprahs on the cover. One Oprah was skinny. ! The other one was huge. Oprah had lost a tremendous amount of weight and came on to her show wearing her "skinny jeans." Today, she couldn't fit into those jeans even if they used a jack hammer. Why? Because when Oprah lost weight, she stopped eating the wrong foods and went on a diet. But when the diet stops, the weight comes right back on. Stay with me here... The only way to keep it off is by changing the behaviors that got you overweight in the first place.

That is a basic tenet of weight loss. Anyone that doesn't know this just has their head in the sand.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:23 PM

931 posts, read 3,802,043 times
She has a thyroid problem which makes her weight fluctuate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss