Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2009, 06:56 AM

438 posts, read 1,730,805 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone's tried the diet in Insulin Resistance Diet book and what they thought of it. In short it stresses no more than 30 grams carbs at a meal/snack and having at least 7 grams protein for every 15 grams carbs. Also, talks about the right kinds of fats, carbs, etc.

I was diagnosed with insulin resistance/metabolic syndrome a few months ago but never looked into it until a couple weeks ago (my father was dying and just couldn't take on anything else). Last week Wednesday I changed my way of eating and have lost 3 lbs! That's really good for me. Even on weight watchers where I documented EVERYTHING and stayed within my points I didn't lose weight. I did lose weight on Atkins but couldn't eat that way forever.

I made a promise to myself to commit to this way of eating for 2 months. So far it's not bad. I could see doing this the rest of my life. We'll see if I keep losing weight but it's also supposed to help with my fatigue and some gastro issues as well. Gastro has been better but fatigue hasn't improved. If those two things are improved I will continue eating this way even if I lose no additional weight. May cut carbs to 15 grams but not sure I could sustain that way of eating indefinitely. I'm really trying to concentrate on doing something I can handle doing the rest of my life and that is HEALTHY.

Yesterday at lunch (celebration for coworker's wedding) I didn't link/balance my carbs with protein and had more carbs than I should have. Carb cravings the rest of the day were insane and I paid for it with gastro issues last night that are going on into today.

Hope to hear from others out there with experience eating this way.

Thanks.

Dea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 11:55 AM

982 posts, read 3,306,830 times
Hi Dea,

I really don't have much experience, but I do prefer doing the low-carb method (South Beach, Atkins, etc.) I am working on losing my baby weight, and it's been tough going after 30. I suspect that I do have insulin resistance - my numbers are on the high side, but not high enough to be labeled 'insulin resistant.'

I read South Beach and am currently reading Atkins, and both emphasize the importance of the Glycemic Index when chosing carbs while trying to lose weight. The Insulin Resistance Diet you're asking about sounds like a compromise between the two. Either way, I think 30g sounds reasonable. To check if you're losing weight, see if you are in ketosis. If not, cut back to 20g and see if that speeds up your progress.

I agree that living on that few is limiting (and I don't want to eat that way forever). Some people have no problem with it, some people really miss their fruit or pasta, etc. Frankly, I feel terrific. I have more energy, my quality of sleep has improved, and my mood swings are much better. My hormones have been so topsy-turvey since I had a baby, and I feel 'leveled out' now.

I hope that helps answer your question. The Insulin Resistance Diet sounds like a reasonable plan - I'd give it a shot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss