Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 01:28 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,102,781 times

Advertisements

foma, I know what you mean. When I lived in California I went to a all womens gym. I felt self conscious at a co-ed gym.

jersey2nm, I will try the ball at my desk. I wonder if it is bad for my back though? (I have a bad back). hmmmm....I should google that and see if it would help or hurt. (I hate my ball by the way).

Anyways, The computer and diet thing works. But your right on not moving around enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 03:16 PM

453 posts, read 2,101,315 times
don't worry about being self-conscious at the gym. most people there, especially the ones that are in good shape, are too busy looking at themselves in the mirror to notice anyone else

Old 05-30-2007, 04:05 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,254,417 times
lol mrdude ... I guess that makes me feel a little better!

Old 05-30-2007, 05:55 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,265,595 times
He's right. And there's always somebody who's a bit heavier or klutzier. Believe me, I know.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:21 PM

479 posts, read 1,237,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
I'm trying to lose a lot of weight. Ideally, I'd like to lose 60 more lbs b4 we try conceiving and after we have our kid or two, I'd like to lose about 60-70 more lbs. *fingers crossed* I've lose 20 since April so I'm hanging in there! I don't watch so much what I eat but I work out vigorously. I hvae noticed, however, now that I work out routinely, I naturally eat less and stay away from fatty foods. Congrats on your weight loss! We all know how much of a struggle it is!
Sometimes conception is impeded by being overweight. I never had that much of a weight problem until after I had my children. Now at age 59, losing weight is a big struggle as my metabolism has really slowed. I'm not giving up though and recently joined Weight Watchers. They told me to lose 10 percent of my body weight, which would put me under 200 lbs. I've always been very bottom heavy and carry most of my weight in my legs and thighs. However, since going thru menopause, I've gotten the ugly belly fat which I've never had before.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:06 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,957,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdude View Post
don't worry about being self-conscious at the gym. most people there, especially the ones that are in good shape, are too busy looking at themselves in the mirror to notice anyone else

Hahaha, yeah my husband is one of them

Old 03-07-2008, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 2,447 times
I think I spend 25 hours a day just sat typing and staring at a computer screen. It's left me with nothing but bad eyes and an ever increasing waistline.

I've come across a few services that offer help and motivation for weight loss online. Some of them seem to free and generic and some seem more detailed but require payment. For example, I found one service, ihelpwellness, that is offering a free trial of their service with food journals, exercise tips and healthy eating advice that you access through your phone.

Has anybody tried any of these and do they work? I suppose just trying them out wouldn't hurt?

Old 03-07-2008, 11:39 AM

233 posts, read 751,822 times
i made a bet with someone not too long ago, i would lose 10 lbs in 3 days. got on the scale 202.8 lbs this was on friday,and went on a fast. tuesday morning 192.8 and in the afternoon 192.3lbs. i lose weight easily, i keep active and burned calories. and with the right foods, one could lose weight. i was cooking for a friend of mine and made full meals, she went down one dress size in 5 days. and i was helping another friends and she lost 9" in 3 months.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:41 PM

52 posts, read 235,395 times
Congrats on your weight loss, I hope you keep it off. A few years back, I lost 68 pounds. My husband and I were having problems and I guess when you're unhappy it's easier to lose. We reconciled and I have gained it all and some. I'm miserable with my weight but just can't seem to get motivated.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,400 times
Thumbs up Saved my life.

Starting spring of 07 i decided to embark on a beautiful weight-loss journey. I was a junior in highschool, football player and very popular kid. Though i weighed around 265lbs, and struggled greatly with my self image. I would mask my fear/depression with humor and on the inside i was miserable. At first all i did was very very minorly clean up my eating habits. I lived by the montra, "garbage, just less garbage" (describing my eating habits.) After little success i began to slightly adjust how i ate what i ate, if that makes sense. Things started small, such as simply converting from white to wheat bread and from 2% to skim milk. With many small changes such as these, i began a rigourous year of cardio workouts. I would try and burn up to about 1000 calories a day on an elyptical training machine. I saw imediate results and lost about 20 lbs before summer. In the summer i hit the gym hard core and slowly my diet cleaned itself up. I made some major commitments, including: Completely cutting out fast food, all regular sodas were now a no no, ranch was converted to only fat free ranch, ice cream was converted to only fat free ice cream, and chocolate my sweet sweet friend was converted to only dark chocolate if any at all. I kept up with my cardio work out and when next august arrived i weighed in at 210 lbs. I kept the weight on for football due to my position (offensive line), henceforth my forum name. After season i changed my diet to around 1200 calories a day and my new workout routine consisted of : 35 mins on a stair master, 8 miles on a bike, and 100 push ups and 200 situps a day. By winter break i had reached my goal weight of 172 (strangely specific, i know.) lbs. I can honestly tell you it was the greatest thing to ever happen to me. In total, i went from a 42 waist to a 32. I went from an xxl to a m. I love everything about life now, litteraly nothing gets me down! My friends even sometimes get annoyed with how positive i am! Being fat was flat out hell, i hated how i looked, was paranoid about clothing and miserable about being girl less. I dreaded taking my shirt off, in fact i wouldnt do it. Now i struggle to keep it on haha! I have so much confidence now and love life. For any tips at all, please ask!!!! I feel like i can help so many people with advice and tips and ideas. Please please please feel free to ask and thank you for your time! Good luck to all embarking and congrats to all concluding their journeys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss