Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 04:45 PM

968 posts, read 2,617,804 times

Advertisements

Getting healthy!!!!!

I started exercising regularly about a year ago but became serious in August committing to at least five days a week. At the time, I was about 25lbs +/- over (comfortable) weight and maybe 18 lbs truly overweight. Of course, being heavier was a motivation but I wanted to change my life and prevent myself from going on a downward health spiral as I got older.

So, as a began exercising I looked at ways I could initiate and stick to a healthy food plan; that ultimately led to clean eating. My work out plan started with walking [3 miles daily x 5 days per week]. Next, I started using resistance bands. Later, I increased my mileage to 4 miles a day. Now, I am doing a combination of brisk walking and jogging with the goal to be able to jog 4 miles continuously.

My weight loss has been slower than most of those packaged plans; however, my plan is something I grew into and will be able to live with and stick too indefinitely. As far as the eating is concern, I try to stay as clean as possible but do cheat every now and then. This progress has taught me a significant amount about physical fitness, eating, and the despicable processed-food industry.

Ultimately, in the next few years I hope to grow 60% of my produce and purchase the other 40% produce and 90% meats via CSAs and local farmers. Then the other 10% of meats (seafoods), I will purchase through a local farmers market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 11:29 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,639,656 times
Luckily, I've always been healthy and remained so even at my higher weights. My goal has been and is continuing to be to lose the weight and I've been successful thus far and remain to be even healthier.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:33 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
Today marks the end of Week 12. Weight loss is 22.5 pounds.

Just started jogging on the treadmill in an effort to keep things moving in the right direction. I'm pretty out of shape, so I have do do a jog/walk/jog/walk sort of thing. (I call it JALK-ing.) I jog for 5, walk for 2. It's a good way to start the day, and then after that I clip on my pedometer and aim for my 14,000 steps for the day. (I'm only at 3763 right now. I foresee a looooong walk in my future this evening.)

Anyway, regarding the jalking, I can feel it in my body! Whew! My inner thighs feel like I've had a marathon session of sex.

Next step...push-ups. Ugh. Kill me now.

All the good benefits of my changed habits are still there. Except...I had added meat back into my diet in an effort to get more protein, and I think I feel slightly worse because of it. Slightly. Maybe it's all in my head. I'd like to cut it out again, but then I'd be shy of my protein requirements by about 20 grams. When I'm completely plant-based, I get about 45-50 grams of protein each day, but given my current weight, I need to be more in the range of 65-70....then that will decrease as my weight decreases.
That is FANTASTIC!!! Keep up the good work.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:39 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
Today marks the end of Week 12. Weight loss is 22.5 pounds.

Just started jogging on the treadmill in an effort to keep things moving in the right direction. I'm pretty out of shape, so I have do do a jog/walk/jog/walk sort of thing. (I call it JALK-ing.) I jog for 5, walk for 2. It's a good way to start the day, and then after that I clip on my pedometer and aim for my 14,000 steps for the day. (I'm only at 3763 right now. I foresee a looooong walk in my future this evening.)

Anyway, regarding the jalking, I can feel it in my body! Whew! My inner thighs feel like I've had a marathon session of sex.

Next step...push-ups. Ugh. Kill me now.

All the good benefits of my changed habits are still there. Except...I had added meat back into my diet in an effort to get more protein, and I think I feel slightly worse because of it. Slightly. Maybe it's all in my head. I'd like to cut it out again, but then I'd be shy of my protein requirements by about 20 grams. When I'm completely plant-based, I get about 45-50 grams of protein each day, but given my current weight, I need to be more in the range of 65-70....then that will decrease as my weight decreases.

I go next week for my endoscopy/colonoscopy. My GI doc thinks everything is probably fine, but it'll be nice to know for sure. Clean slate and all that.
Great work!! You should be very proud!

I hear you about the pushups. They're not my favorite.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:43 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityhopper View Post
Getting healthy!!!!!

I started exercising regularly about a year ago but became serious in August committing to at least five days a week. At the time, I was about 25lbs +/- over (comfortable) weight and maybe 18 lbs truly overweight. Of course, being heavier was a motivation but I wanted to change my life and prevent myself from going on a downward health spiral as I got older.

So, as a began exercising I looked at ways I could initiate and stick to a healthy food plan; that ultimately led to clean eating. My work out plan started with walking [3 miles daily x 5 days per week]. Next, I started using resistance bands. Later, I increased my mileage to 4 miles a day. Now, I am doing a combination of brisk walking and jogging with the goal to be able to jog 4 miles continuously.

My weight loss has been slower than most of those packaged plans; however, my plan is something I grew into and will be able to live with and stick to indefinitely. As far as the eating is concern, I try to stay as clean as possible but do cheat every now and then. This progress has taught me a significant amount about physical fitness, eating, and the despicable processed-food industry.

Ultimately, in the next few years I hope to grow 60% of my produce and purchase the other 40% produce and 90% meats via CSAs and local farmers. Then the other 10% of meats (seafoods), I will purchase through a local farmers market.
Congratulations! That is really great. And the bolded bit up there is the key to long-term success, I think. A lot of people make short-term changes to achieve a goal but don't consider what long-term changes they will have to make to maintain that goal. You have to build yourself a new way of living based around what you really want for yourself.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:02 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,972,527 times
For me weightloss is most important...I have done the starvation diet before and lost 100lbs (sometimes not eating at all...other times only eating a half of a turkey sandwich for the whole day etc.). It worked for me when I was a fat ass and I would do it again if I needed to. If you become desperate enough its interesting how far you can push yourself. And after the weight is off, you can ease up a little and then its only a matter of monitoring your weight closely and deciding when you need to tighten up your eating habits again.

I think the best thing that a person, of any size, trying to lose weight can do is sprints. Not this mamby pamby jogging/brisk walking crap. But hard, fast, multiple sprints day in and day out. Sprinting devours weight quickly like no other in my experience. When combined with weight lifting, its almost like a jolt to your metabolism.

Last edited by solytaire; 05-20-2010 at 12:18 PM..

Old 05-24-2010, 12:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,112 times
i'm looking for the 18 in 4 diet if anyone has it please send it to me.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:40 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I ask this because Ive noticed a lot of people here posting things about super outrageous diets (HCG, "master cleanse" fasts, acai diets, etc.) that are far far far from being healthy. There are others (few here, but many out in the real world) who prefer to lose weight AND get healthy at the same time by exercising and eating right.

It just baffles my mind that people would choose to lose weight in a way that hinders their health all because they want to lose pounds.

Also, I find it outrageous and silly that people say that they want to lose weight BEFORE starting exercise. WTF?

For me, the #1 most important thing is my health. I dont really care about what the scale says. I care more about improving my health and fitness level. I must admit, that Ive never been overweight in my life. The heaviest I have ever been was 199 pounds (tried to get to 200 but couldnt) while on a bulking/muscle building program. If I dont workout, I lose weight and increase my body fat %. But my goal has always been health/fitness.

Just curious what others here find is most important to them - losing weight or getting healthy. One would think that they are one in the same, but based on some of the really stupid diets that people go on, its obvious that they are not.
The answer is both, but how can you possibly understand things when you've never been overweight in your life? Why do you think there are commercials that say "check with your physician before beginning an exercise program?" For fun? No, because overweight people can't just go from being couch potatoes to sprint runners or they'll keel over. Exercise should be eased into. And believe it or not, when you are obese, your feet hurt if you are on them for too long. You can only walk so far before your feet hurt (at least that is my experience). Heck, just getting out of bed and putting on my shoes is an ordeal in and of itself some nights and I know it's the weight. So don't be so hard on those who are less than thrilled with the concept of an exercise program when obese. Now, if I had a recombinant bike it would be a different story, but I don't. And I won't join a gym as I already did that and think I went a few times. I found even walking the treadmill for half an hour hurt my hips. See what I mean?

Last edited by mistygrl092; 09-07-2011 at 05:00 AM.. Reason: bold for emphasis

Old 09-07-2011, 05:09 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,207 times
And that just shows how much out of reality some really are. Fact is to lose weight you have to excercise. I have a friend that I have known a long time that weighs 400+. Guess what she just recently started going out and walking once to twice a day. She has lost 35lbs so far just walking 1-2 miles each time.
Its all about discipline. If one really wants to lose weight portion control, healthy balance of fats, carbs and protiens, cutting out cokes, HFCS (and other corn syrups), sugar and a few other ingredients are the way to go along with a healthy excercise routine. And yes this comes from some one who has been over weight. Want to push that envelope futher, check out Ruby Gettinger. She has lost weight and is her 300's from 700+. She sure as heck didnt just lose it from just a treadmill. To be quite honest she is one of the few that is a true inspiration! Oh and Tosca Reno...she was 200+, went to the gym and lost weight and she is now in her 50's and a female bodybuilder. As I said, its all about discipline. If one wants to lose it that bad, they can. I did it once and gained some of it back over almost 1 1/2 years. Verses my cousin who's Dr put her on a no carb diet...you guessed it, she gained it and then some back in 6 months. Next week when I get over being sick its on like donkey kong! Back in the gym 4-5 days a week, watching what I eat etc. BTW, before I started the first time I NEVER consulted my Dr because they would have pointed me to an easy fix because that is what they like to do.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:21 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
And that just shows how much out of reality some really are. Fact is to lose weight you have to excercise. I have a friend that I have known a long time that weighs 400+. Guess what she just recently started going out and walking once to twice a day. She has lost 35lbs so far just walking 1-2 miles each time.
Its all about discipline. If one really wants to lose weight portion control, healthy balance of fats, carbs and protiens, cutting out cokes, HFCS (and other corn syrups), sugar and a few other ingredients are the way to go along with a healthy excercise routine. And yes this comes from some one who has been over weight. Want to push that envelope futher, check out Ruby Gettinger. She has lost weight and is her 300's from 700+. She sure as heck didnt just lose it from just a treadmill. To be quite honest she is one of the few that is a true inspiration! Oh and Tosca Reno...she was 200+, went to the gym and lost weight and she is now in her 50's and a female bodybuilder. As I said, its all about discipline. If one wants to lose it that bad, they can. I did it once and gained some of it back over almost 1 1/2 years. Verses my cousin who's Dr put her on a no carb diet...you guessed it, she gained it and then some back in 6 months. Next week when I get over being sick its on like donkey kong! Back in the gym 4-5 days a week, watching what I eat etc. BTW, before I started the first time I NEVER consulted my Dr because they would have pointed me to an easy fix because that is what they like to do.
I certainly hope you are not addressing this to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss