Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 05:43 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times

Advertisements

Okay well since we are talking about shelters , look at what they charge to adopt a dog I knew of one shelter charging 500.00 for pure breeds hello i can go to a breeder for alot cheaper and they wonder why we have so many dogs in shelters and they are over crowded . That my friends is why . also yes some shelters have stupid people working in them and yes they make their own rules too . so anybody who thinks they dont go spend volunteer time there . I agree stupid idiots .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 05:49 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
I'm absolutely sick about this. SICK! And the dog, poor Copper, is 11 years old. I mean, really, this sweet girl has been a family pet for 11 years... and was let loose into the wild in her old age. I'm sick.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:56 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Okay well since we are talking about shelters , look at what they charge to adopt a dog I knew of one shelter charging 500.00 for pure breeds hello i can go to a breeder for alot cheaper and they wonder why we have so many dogs in shelters and they are over crowded . That my friends is why . also yes some shelters have stupid people working in them and yes they make their own rules too . so anybody who thinks they dont go spend volunteer time there . I agree stupid idiots .
yes some shelters are terrible in many different ways, but in my experience what you describe is not typical. and i have volunteered and adopted at shelters in 3 states. there are 3 shelters in my city and they all charge from $75 to $200 for a dog, depending on the age and breed. at the shelter where i adopted my dog (and volunteer) you're going to pay more for a puppy or a non-pit, which i think is perfectly fair, but even the top price is not that expensive. even the rescues i've seen the fees for aren't that much more expensive.

i don't know why this seems to come up any time shelters are mentioned, but if overcrowding in shelters is due to shelters charging too much for dogs (or having application processes that are too stringent, another frequent complaint), then there shouldn't be a problem in my city, where adoption fees are low, adoption processes are simple and easy, and there are 3 large shelters and many rescues. but there is a problem here, just like everywhere else. how do you explain that? yes, anything that makes it more difficult to adopt contributes to the pet overpopulation problem, but i seriously doubt that difficulty of adopting is a major factor. i don't think most people even consider adopting when they want to get a pet.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:58 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
yes some shelters are terrible in many different ways, but in my experience that's not typical. and i have volunteered and adopted at shelters in 3 states. there are 3 shelters in my city and they all charge from $75 to $200 for a dog, depending on the age and breed. at the shelter where i work you're going to pay more for a puppy or a non-pit, which i think is perfectly fair, but even the top price is not that expensive. even the rescues i've seen the fees for aren't that much more expensive.

i don't know why this seems to come up any time shelters are mentioned, but if overcrowding in shelters is due to shelters charging too much for dogs (or having application processes that are too stringent, another frequent complaint), then there shouldn't be a problem in my city, where adoption fees are low, adoption processes are simple and easy, and there are 3 large shelters and many rescues. but there is a problem here, just like everywhere else. how do you explain that?

ditto for here.........

Old 07-24-2010, 11:40 AM

1,272 posts, read 2,373,588 times
The saddest thing to me on this is the cascade of errors from the top down.
The owner should have had a collar on her pet or microchipped.
When she realized Copper was missing it's always good to call the shelters in the event your dog was picked up. Putting up posters is great but don't forget to call too.
The officer that released the dog, believing it was trained should have known it wasn't a feral and raised a red flag.
I understand the Humane person defending their staff, they don't want to cast blame as it's hard to get people to work there for the little money they have. But he could have at least said they will assist their staff in better identification.
I hope they do find Copper as she isn't prepared to be loose.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:44 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,696,212 times
This^^. As others have stated, many shelters have volunteer staff. I had initially thought the same--"How horrible! They should have known!!" But seriously, a Shiba Inu isn't exactly the most common dog. In fact, I had never heard of one until this thread. Just b/c the shelter workers didn't recognize a dog breed doesn't make them incompetent or open to criticism. In fact, given how many animals they do help, I think that we should remember all of the things that they do right rather than the one or two things that they do wrong.

And, yes, I am hoping that this dog makes its way home. Fortunately, many of them do. I say, let's send some positive thoughts to the shelter workers and the dog; I bet anything the shelter workers feel horrible and criticizing them for their mistake isn't going to help get Copper home.

May the force be with you, Copper

Old 07-24-2010, 10:32 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykat View Post
Just read this story in the news and I'm so sad for the poor owners of this dog.
Apparently the dog got loose, was picked up and the shelter had it released as it was a coyote. Actually it was a sheba inu.
Hopefully they will find their dog.

Woman's dog mistaken for coyote, set loose in wild | Odd Headlines | Comcast.net (http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-odd/20100723/US.ODD.Not.a.Coyote/ - broken link)
sure hope there is a follow up if and when the dog is found.........

Old 07-24-2010, 11:41 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
After reading that, I had to go over to the couch and sit by Nanners for awhile. I can't imagine her on her own in the wild. Poor Copper.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:36 PM

426 posts, read 1,570,918 times
Actually, she DID call the shelter, first thing when she discovered the dog was missing.

The original article from the Kentucky paper:
State-Journal.com - Beloved pet called a coyote, sent into the wild

Quote:
Goodlett said she returned to her Cloverdale home around 3 p.m. after being away for the night to find Copper gone from her fenced yard. A veterinarian friend told her to call the Humane Society to see if Copper had been turned in.
Goodlett says the person who answered said, “We haven’t gotten a stray dog today,” and that ended the conversation.
Goodlett phoned again to leave her name, number and Copper’s breed.
“I was able to get out the breed of the dog, but the person reiterated they didn’t have one and once again hung up.”

So, so awful. I hope they find poor Copper. There is no excuse for the way the shelter acted, IMO. Mix up breeds, ok, I understand that somewhat, but to mistake an obviously tame pet dog for a wild animal is ludicrous.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:49 PM

577 posts, read 1,759,252 times
That picture in the article is the longest nose I've seen on a Shiba Inu... usually their noses are shorter , from the picture I wouldnt have guessed Shiba based on the nose and I've seen quite a few and have two friends with them. They also tails that curl over their back, certainly the dog in the pic doesnt look like a coyote though! That's crazy! I hope they find her
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs