Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 09:08 PM

1 posts, read 5,161 times

Advertisements

I have a dog that looks just like yours. We think she is aborder collie/lab mix as well.I wish I could post a pic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 04:08 PM

693 posts, read 1,041,124 times
Default Reviving the thread . . .

I have a border collie/lab mix who barks at people on our walk. It definitely seems fear based (mohawk on the back) and/or that she's being protective. She's not consistent however. Sometimes she barks and other times doesn't. She does bark at men mostly. Has anyone had success with any of the suggestions given in this thread?
Attached Thumbnails
Lab-border collie mix, barks at others, seems fear based- help?-lexie.jpg  

Old 09-12-2012, 07:29 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,099,146 times
Sailorgirl2007. Thanks for reviving this thread. I just read through it and it may help my dog as well. I'm not sure what my dog is mixed with, he looks like a golden mix, vet says a nova scotia duck tolling retriver mix, who knows. Anywho, he also barks on walks and at people when he doesnt know them. Once he warms up to them he is fine. I'm working with him and I'll let you know if anything I do has any success.
Only thing I've done that has helped is on our walks, when we see another dog approaching, I make him sit until the dog has gone by. I stand in front of him and tell him to watch me. This has helped a lot.
If I get any other ideas and results I will let you know.

By the way, your dog is gorgeous!

Old 09-13-2012, 09:00 AM

693 posts, read 1,041,124 times
Thanks Sawyersmom!

Old 06-16-2014, 05:05 PM

1 posts, read 4,354 times
Hi, Not sure if anyone still posts here but I just came upon the site. I also have a Rough Collie/Lab Mix, her name is Carmen. She has some similar issues with other dogs. When we go on a walk and she is on her leash she barks like crazy when she sees other dogs and when we are at home and she is in our fenced in back yard when she sees the neighbors dog she barks like crazy and runs up and down along the fence. She seems to be a little different though when she is off her leash which doesn't happen much but this memorial day we were at a big gathering at my uncle's cabin in the country so I decided to let her off her leash and when she saw other dogs she would run to them on a mad sprint to get to them but wouldn't bark at all. I'm thinking all her barking is just her being excited and wanting to play or get the other dogs attention. I also notice when she is in the yard she will bark at anyone who walks by but when she is on her leash on a walk she doesn't bark at people at all which makes me also think her barking is for attention. Anyway just thought I would throw in my 2 cents lol. If I can figure out how to post a pic of her I will but she is the spitting image of your collie lab mix its crazy how much they look alike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs