Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 06:44 AM

2 posts, read 12,973 times

Advertisements

We are so devastated, about a month ago Barkley started sneezing bouts, then they showed blood, we took him to the vet that put him on antihistimine and steroids....no relief....then we made the appt for the cat scan....from which the worse diagnosis came...I am researching and researching...but nothing but radiation is offerred...and even our vet said, I wouldn't do it to my dog....just keep him as happy as you can for as long as you can....we took him home yesterday, he is now reverse sneezing or snorting...the vet said this is the metacam reducing the swelling a bit and it is ok, do not be afraid ...they have him on tramadal too if needed. I basically just want him happy and as long as he is eating and wanting car rides and walks and to watch the deer from our deck...I am ready to do this. But this is the worst of times...I can't believe this is so hopeless...how insiduous and quick this cancer is. And I am in such early stages of grief, I wonder why...what did this little guy do to deserve this...he is the light of our lives...he is by my side 24/7 , I can't bear to even leave the house now, and when the time comes...I can not leave him...and I really don't think I can do it...but I know I must....has anyone heard anything of hope in this area? Holistic? anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 09:32 AM

1,286 posts, read 3,479,714 times
I'm so sorry about this. ):

I don't have any advice as I have not dealt with this but I wanted to say that I would probably do the same thing you're doing....let him enjoy his life and not put him through a rough course of treatments.

I've seen several posts about nasal cancer here so perhaps you could do a search to see how others have handled it.

Given his mix, he sounds like an ADORABLE looking dog. Would love to see a photo of this guy who is so lucky to have you as his family.

Hang in there.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:56 AM

2 posts, read 12,973 times
Default My barkley

My 4 yr old king charles cavalier/border collie mix just diagnosed with nasal cancer-barkley.bmp

Hope this works...here's my boy.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:42 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,479,714 times
oh my gosh...so sweet. I bet he's super smart too.

Hugs to you and Barkley.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:55 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Ohhh! I'm so sorry! Barkley (cute name!) is a beautiful boy. I know about these boys being by their mama's side 24/7. I've got one of those too.

Sigh...

I have no knowledge about nasal cancer, but there's a very, very long thread that's been going on for years. You might want to read through it; I'm sure some holistic (and other) information is in there for you.

Here it is:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...al-cancer.html

I'm hoping for the best for you and Barkley. Big hugs to both of you, from me and Artie.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:28 PM

14 posts, read 54,595 times
Barkleys mom -

i'm so sorry to hear that barkley has nasal cancer. my dog milo died from nasal cancer 3 years ago. i found this forum and it was one of the best resources and helped us so much! nasal cancer isn't all that common, so everyone on the forum is going through it together. the people that have been on there for awhile have become very knowledgable on the subject.

this is the link...paste it in your browser...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...l#post10666529

the one thing that really helped me was was when an animal communicator told me to "always remember that dogs don't know they have cancer, they don't feel sorry for themselves or dwell it...so you have to be more like your dog and live each day as it comes"

all the best-
Meggin

Old 10-21-2012, 08:51 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,332,477 times
What a cute guy!!!!

I am so sorry to hear the bad news.

I know how much he is loved.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:24 AM

741 posts, read 1,678,757 times
What a cute dog--I am sorry to hear that he has cancer..

Old 10-21-2012, 09:24 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,118,738 times
I can feel your heartbreak and despair just in reading your post. I'm so sorry about your boy Barkley. While I don't have any experience with nasal cancer, I agree with your vet. The quality of time, to me, is more important than the quantity...and I wish you and your boy many, many days, months, years together. He is so handsome!

Old 10-22-2012, 04:51 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,584,576 times
I am do sorry that ou are dealing with this and with such a young dog I am the one that started the now ( sadly) very long thread on nasal cancer. I think some vets only think of the older radiation treatments where there is a lot of damage to the healthy tissues, But there is IMRT and even Cyberknife now that do not cause all that damage. Neither is cheap but sometimes they can buy some good quality time. I did palliative IMRT with Dash and have no regrets. If I had to do it over again I would have flown him to Colorado State and done cyberknife. That is what I was really hoping to find as I knew about it from helping mom mom with her cancer but at the time I could find no one doing it for dogs and was lucky to find the IMRT. There are drugs that may help buy time that are part of an anti-angiogenesis protocol ( meaning they help to cut off the blood supply to a tumor) Perixocam and low dose cytoxin are two that we put Dash on and they were pills he took at home and he did fine on both.

There are two ways too look at Dash's cancer one is sad ..I lost my dog but the other is because of the thread I started here I made some great friends that have remained friends via facebook and one in Texas even helped me get my newest dog Chaos and we got to meet in person and so even in the darkest times some good things can come out of it. Death is a part of life and we can not cheat life but we can look at the big picture and there is something besides sorrow.

Dash was part border collie too and the nasal cancer seems more common in them for what ever reason. I am doing the 2millions dogs dog walk on Nov. 3rd with my two dogs it raises money for canine and human cancer and I walk in memory of Dash and all the others we met as well as for my parents and I will now also walk in honor of your pup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs