Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 09:30 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,587,684 times

Advertisements

Just learned my 11 yr old Border Collie springer spaniel mix may have nasal cancer, we are awaiting the biopsy results but after looking with a scope my vet is pretty certain this is the case.

I am interestind in hearing of anyone elses experiences with it and what treatment if any they sought as I would like to make the best decision for my dog as he has been such a great dog. I would like to have him around for as long as possible as he and my other dog are what got me through my mom's recent battle with cancer and her death but I know I don't want time if it comes at the expense of quality. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 04:54 PM

452 posts, read 1,722,750 times
My sympathies.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:02 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
Have you googled this on the internet?

Old 03-23-2008, 12:09 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
Oh no, Dashdog .

One of my dogs was just diagnosed with mouth cancer about a week and a half ago. The biopsy came back as a sarcoma, which is better than a melanoma, but it's still not good. We had the sarcoma removed and it grew right back inside of 10 days !

When the cancer is in the sinuses, it is not good Dashdog. Your options are very limited. My vet warned me that if my dog's cancer reached the nasal cavities, he would not want to perform surgery - too much blood, too much risk. Chemotherapy does not have great results on dogs either.

If the biopsy does come back as cancer, your vet will discuss the options, but I'm sure he/she will include the option of simply letting things take their course while keeping your dog as comfortable as you can (pain meds). We had my dog on Rimadyl for a short period, we are now on Metcam and that seems to be the right combination of pain killer, but not something that makes him too sleepy (can take on an empty stomach too....important when eating gets uncomfortable for them).

I hope your news is better than you're expecting...please let us know.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:47 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
Actually colie/shelties & border collie breeds can get sun burned on light noses. & develope nose cancer. But I was wondering If your dog ever had the Kennel Cough spray vacc?

Old 03-26-2008, 04:08 PM

Default Dogs nasal cancer

Thanks for the replies. The cancer is in the sinus under the eye not on the outside of his nose. He has always freaked out big time when the vet tried to give him the bordetella vaccine down his nose so rather then stress him my vet has given him injections. We did start a very 3 year vaccine rountine years ago so my dogs are not over vaccinated. My dog is not around cigarette smoke, or harsh pesticides or cleaning chemicals so I fugure the cancer is more of a genitic issue. I am looking into using either POLY MVA and DHA or neoplasene to try to slow down the growth and buy him some time. All the vets could offer would be radiation and I think it would end up leaving him blind and while it could buy time it will not save his life so now I must weigh the facts to see if it would be worth it if it does effect his quality of life. Maybe it is best to just go for quality of life and say good bye sooner then I would really like. He has been a great dog and I feel I do owe him that rather then keep him alive at any cost because my own selfish heart can not say good bye. Thanks,Jan

Old 03-26-2008, 04:21 PM

1,309 posts, read 4,191,283 times
I am sorry to hear about the heartbreaking news of your dog's illness. You are in my thoughts.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:22 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Maybe it is best to just go for quality of life and say good bye sooner then I would really like. He has been a great dog and I feel I do owe him that rather then keep him alive at any cost because my own selfish heart can not say good bye. Thanks,Jan
That's what we've decided . With my dog, it's easy, he's a big baby and any treatments would make him miserable - he'd rather lay on the sofa and be left alone . So we're focusing on making him happy and comfortable and making sure he knows we love him very much and we'll just wait until he's no longer comfortable.

Best of luck Jan, it's just heartbreaking .

Old 03-29-2008, 07:01 PM

Thanks Riveree ,

I think you know too well how heartbreaking it really is. My previous dog at age 14 had cardiomyopathy and then developed lymphoma .I decided to just let her live out what time she had left until she no longer was enjoying her life. I made a list of things she loved to do and slowly crossed them off, the two things left were eating as she was a major chow hound and and snuggling with me. I came home from work one morning and fed her and she wanted to eat but couldn't and just kept looking at her food and then at me and when her eyes met mine I knew it was time.

I called my vet and said I would be in at the end of the day. Later that day I decided to take her to the park and eat lunch and just relax with her one last time, of course then I started having 2nd thoughts " Is it really time, maybe I can wait another day or two" . As we sat in the shade she suddenly went into congestive heart failure so I picked her up and raced to my car and drove to the vets . She was in the other front seat which had always been HER seat and she placed her one paw over on my leg and kept it there. By the time we got to the vets she had pretty much passed out and her chest was rattling from all the fluid. Some lady in the waiting room said " Oh I am sure they can fix her". They took me right in and she was given the injection. I felt relief as her ordeal was over and I really believe that she knew it was time and knew it was hard on me and even that I was starting to question myself so she made the decision for me that Yes it was time and yes it was that day. It was like her last gift to me.

I have to fly to Portland next week as my 20 yr old neice was killed in a car crash and when I get back I will meet with a radiologist oncologist to see what he has to say and then make my decision as to once again let nature decided or to try to buy time with pallitive radiation. I don't think I want to buy time if it is at his expense as he has been a great dog and he deserves to have quality time left. But I also feel I owe it to him to get all the facts before I decide.

I lost my mom to lung cancer a year ago and he and my other dog are what got me through the ordeal.I would drive 120 miles with my dogs to take her to chemo spend a few days with her then come home to work repeat over and over x 2.5 yrs.It was always my dogs that saw me cry and they would clown around to get me to laugh.The experience with my mom also taught me how to let go and for anyone thinking lung cancer in mom? nasal cancer in dog? smokers? Nope my mom nor I ever smoked she was just one of what is becoming of a problem in women- lung cancer in non smokers.

I will let you know what I decide to do. I hope you dog is enjoying the time. Bless you for allowing that, Got to run,Jan

Old 03-29-2008, 09:28 PM

1,309 posts, read 4,191,283 times
Jan,

It's so sad to read about the terrible ordeals you have recently faced, and are still encountering. But it is nice to read that your dogs were there to comfort you, and that you have also been there for them as well. I hope your days get brighter, and that you get better news from the oncologist. Either way, my sweet girl Baci will definitely greet your boy in Heaven when it is his time.

Stay strong,
Cherie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs