Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2022, 12:20 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,132,993 times

Advertisements

I was looking at different "mixes" trying to decipher what breed mixes a couple of dogs at a nearby shelter might be, as they tend to, I think, not be the best judges. I came across this website from, I think, the University of FL where they show photos, over 100 at least, that show the dog from the front and the side, then the DNA results and top guesses for what the breed mix is. I thought someone else might enjoy seeing it, as it has a lot of surprises!

https://sheltermedicine.vetmed.ufl.e...urvey-results/

Some of them seem unbelievable! I do tend to wonder how accurate the testing is, but dogs mixed over more generations might really take on the looks of "endless" choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2022, 12:29 PM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,641,866 times
Yes, very interesting! One thing that I've noticed about shelter dogs that get DNA tested is that many of them seem to have some chow chow mixed in. It's really hard to guess what a dog might be, and as you said, for dogs mixed over more generations it's even harder. My dog is so mixed that the DNA test could only identify 25% of him. I think it's more fun than accurate.

Old 10-21-2022, 05:26 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
The rescue listings that annoy me most are the "mixes" with some uncommon exotic sounding breed. Recently I've noticed a run on Tibetan spaniels and Irish terriers for some odd reason. The usual run-of-the-mill mutts most likely to be abandoned by careless owners just don't carry the same panache.

Old 10-21-2022, 08:42 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
The rescue listings that annoy me most are the "mixes" with some uncommon exotic sounding breed. Recently I've noticed a run on Tibetan spaniels and Irish terriers for some odd reason. The usual run-of-the-mill mutts most likely to be abandoned by careless owners just don't carry the same panache.
Except those exotic-sounding mixes are mutts just like plain-sounding ones are. By coincidence, just yesterday I heard someone telling someone else that her dog was half foxhound and half such-and-such terrier. I had never heard of the latter and wondered what mixture of ordinary terriers had been titled with something new, all to promote adoption by people who need to feel they got something rare and fancy.

She then inserted the obligatory pronouncement that the dog came from a shelter and that the such-and-such terrier half was actually only part such-and-such, with the rest a mishmash of guessed breeds. IOW—a run-of-the-mill Heinz 57.

Old 10-23-2022, 10:05 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,000,975 times
That IS an interesting collection! Dog #4, looks like a Bearded Collie or with some Old English Sheepdog in - all that hair! But NONE of the identified lineage breeds have long hair! Genetics can be a funny thing!

BTW, the breeders I know and "talk" with online regard the DNA tests as accurate. Although, not all breeds are in their database, and one brand has more breeds than the other. And there are probably different companies doing the tests in different countries - I wouldn't know.

Old 10-26-2022, 11:32 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,591,680 times
I did the embark test on Chaos and I think they are one of the more accurate tests. To me it was worth the cost as the health test showed she is MDR1 sensitive and has normal low liver enzymes so if a test were to show normal high liver enzymes for her it could mean something as it would be abnormal for her. I will post a few photos here then the Embark results later. I am in the embark facebook group and it is fun to see results as people always think mixed breeds are two breeds, but many are 7 breeds plus a few trace amounts of even more breeds. Often, they do not resemble the higher percentage breeds but one of lesser percentage. It is really quite interesting. So if you think you are good at this game let me know what breeds you think come together to create Chaos! Her normal health weight is about 50lbs.She is extremely social with people so loves attention and she likes chase games as well as wrestling games, She is quite talkative makes lots of noises not just barking and in her younger days she was a good watch dog and still notices every lizard, bunny, squirrel or kitty we see when out walking.

Old 10-28-2022, 10:04 AM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,641,866 times
catahoula, border collie?

Old 10-28-2022, 02:37 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,591,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB4 View Post
catahoula, border collie?
Nope neither breed is in her DNA.

Old 10-28-2022, 03:43 PM

7,106 posts, read 4,828,236 times
Lab, shepherd, heeler, sheltie?
Australian shepherd?

Old 10-28-2022, 03:48 PM

7,106 posts, read 4,828,236 times
Its funny, my Vito came to me through Spinone Italiano Rescue. He was pulled from a high kill shelter here in Louisiana, looking a lot like a Spinone mix, possibly mixed with Wire Haired Vizsla.

We’ve had him now for around 9 years. He looks a lot like a German Wirehaired Pointer, but no speckles, and no white except for a tiny patch on his chest.

Finally did a DNA test on him two years ago. Turns out he’s lab, golden, standard poodle. With a teensy bit of pit bull mixed in for good measure.

So my sweet “exotic” Italian boy is just a Doodle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs