Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 09:13 PM

3 posts, read 31,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumstheword View Post
Today was a sad day for our family our dog Bruce 10 year old labrador was put to sleep he had nasal tumour we could not see him suffer we loved him to much he had been not himself since January with bad breathing nasal mucas and Tuesday he had a bulging eye although he was still happy to be with us we did not want to see him suffer as his condition was taking its toll it was kinder to have him put to sleep
we were just diagnosed yesterday.....did you try any treatment for him? I am feeling your pain. LuAnn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 10:41 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,586,673 times
LuAnn,

I am so sorry to hear about Guy. Dash and Guy have alot in common both are 11 both have cancer on the left side under the eye, Dash is a border collie springer spaniel mix but many people ask me if he is a black and white aussie.

I have had the biopsy done and it is adenocarcinoma.I have to wait until the 21st to have the CT done as next week is just too hectic for me to get the time off and the day I have off is the doctors day off

I have decided if it has not spread that I will do pallitive radiation. I have him on DHA and Poly MVA (quite expensive) But a vet that was one of my vets instructor's at Colorado State and is an oncologist that does believe in nutrition being an important part of treatment recommends both. I also have him on Cottage cheeze and flax seed.

I too do not want to loose my dog but also do not want him to endure painful treatments. I think surgery and regular radiation would be too painful but feel the pallitive might not be bad especially with the nutritional support.

What symptoms did Guy have that made you take him to the vet?

It does indeed seem that we will walk this walk together, which is always helpful. I will keep you posted as I learn more. Give Guy a big hug for me. Jan

Old 04-11-2008, 03:50 PM

3 posts, read 31,169 times
It is a week now since Bruce died ,we miss more than anything and would give anything to see him just one more time I have had sleepless nights ag
oanizing if we could of had any other treatment for Bruce to stay with us longer but it
he was suffering but it is so hard to accept that we wont see him again I hate coming home with him not there and since I work from home I hate the house so quiet there is no dog hair on me nothing is chewed up I can leave food on the coffee table ....and I hate it...Thank you for you sympathy

Old 04-11-2008, 04:35 PM

3 posts, read 31,169 times
It all happened really quickly he started with what we thought was a cold like symptom his breathing sounded like a horse he coulnt breath through his nose the vet put him on antibiotics 3 lots in all he had,we took him for a second opinion this vet took xrays which came back as him having a mouth ulcer he had gone off his food by now which for Bruce was unherd of,again antibiotics he went into the vets for a nose flush out ,as green phlem was coming from his nose more xrays but thay found nothing we were so please dnd for a couple of weeks end of Feb he seemed a little better although he could not breath properley threw his nose he started eating and waging his tail we took him every week to the vets and he was on strong antibiotics and steroids(forgot to mention steroids)since the nose wash last Tuesday we got up and his eye was bulging and he was breathing very hard we took him to the vets he told us he would have to take biopsy and it was not looking good he went in to the vets Thursday by 3.00 we had the phone call we were dreading it was a tumour the xray showed a big lump and his mouth was full of ulcers he said it a very aggresive tumour as this lump it had not shown up the last 2 xrays we asked if there was any surgery he could have or any treatment but the vet advised us against him going through anymore he said surgery was not succesful we did not want to see him suffer anymore i, It was the hardest descion I have had to make we made it as a family with 4 children (teenagers)we went to spend time with him at the vets while he was still half sedated we stayed with him while he was put to sleep we knew it was the kindest way for Bruce with us all there he loved the family alltogether .I have been to see the vet today to go over everything again today it is so hard to accept and i needed to know we did the right thing you get terrible guilty feelings it really is heart breaking We had had Bruce since he was only 4 weeks old the mother dog had died he turned out to be the best dog you could of had he was so loved by us all,I am so sorry for anyone else who has to make this descion and hope that in time like us you can think of your pet (baby)with lovely memories they give so much and expect so little back just love..

Old 04-15-2008, 05:48 PM

1 posts, read 10,110 times
Default Nasal growth probably cancer in my dog also

Hello,
When searching for info about nasal growths i found this blog. The love of my life, my chihuahua, buttons, had a rhinoscopy on monday after weeks of a stuffy nose and snoring sounds. The prognosis is not good. Will find out if it is cancer on Friday. She is 15 years old and always been in tremendous health. She is still recovering from the rhinoscopy. I will keep her happy and comfortable as long as I can.
she is the sweetest dog I have ever had.

I am very sorry to hear that you and your dog are going through the same thing. Stay strong. I look at being able to care for her through this as a gift, my final gift to her.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:11 AM

Dash did the agility demo our club did for a local retirement home this evening. He had a ball and loved schmoozing with the residents. 10 Yrs ago he did his first demo there and has done one every year since so he has some friends among the crowd as does my other dog, Jazz. This demo was the reason I put off his CT until next week as I wanted to make sure he had one last fun agility demo .

On Monday he gets his CT and then the decison to do palliative radiation or not will be made. This past Monday I started him on Poly MVA and CO Q10 and DHA. The first morning I was not so sure as he acted like he had stomach cramps and he did have bad diarrhea but I decided to not skip a dose as often such side effects pass. I am lucky as he seems to love the taste of it. By afternoon he was feeling ok and I have noticed that past few days he seems to be feeling alot better. The pain pills from the oncologist are given once aday at dinner time and by noon he had been pacing and panting so was uncomfortable but after a couple days of Poly MVA he seems to make it until dinner time without this problem and this evening made it through the agility demo and until 8PM Ok. . He also is not snorting as much as he sleeps and is doing alot less panting during the day, have not heard many reverse sneezes either. Right now I think he is at a very good comfort level. Seeing him like this makes it easy to forget he does have cancer. I will keep posting our journey with nasal cancer in hopes that it may help someone else facing nasal cancer with their dog.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:07 PM

6 posts, read 60,119 times
Unhappy Little Bit

Well, it is with a very heave and sad heart that I report that on April 15, 2008 we put our precious Little Bit down. My husband drives school bus here in the thumb of Michigan and when he left at 2:00 to go for his afternoon run, he pat her on the head and told her to be a good dog (our daily routine) added by a we love you and went to work. (I leave the house at 7:00 and do not return til 5:00) Well when we got home there was blood everywhere, she had probably lost 2 pints of blood. Funny enough, when I went outside to see her as my husband had come home first and tried to clean her up a little and had put her in her area outside, anyway I was bawling by then, and went over to see her, and even with all that blood loss she was tail waggin happy to see me, but, I could tell she was weak. Not herself. My sister in law (works at the vet) came over, the decision was made. So, I proceeded to make Little Bit her last meal. Which she only ate two bites (usually she will down it in two gulps and look for more) This was my cue. To put our best friend out of her misery and pain. So my sister law came back with the stuff. We had her blanket outside and she went very peacefully in my lap. I will forever have a hole in my heart at the loss of this most precious pet. I only wish I could have found this forum sooner. But maybe I can gain some comfort from knowing that I am not a crazy person to mourn the loss of a pet. My husband and I have cried every day since. She will be so missed, and I am not sure if this broken heart will heal. As I still fee I did her an injustice. Expecially when we had made the decision to let nature take its course. But, I loved her too much to let her suffer just for my own selfish pleasure of not wanting to feel the way I do right now.

Little Bit, you are still loved, and there is a gap in our life.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:15 PM

1,309 posts, read 4,190,973 times
Socross, I am so sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is so painful, but just think of the good times you had with Little Bit. She's definitely in a happier place now, no longer suffering. And I'm sure she's making lots of new friends over the Rainbow Bridge.

My thoughts are with you during this difficult time.

Cherie

Old 04-24-2008, 11:53 AM

6 posts, read 60,119 times
Default Little Bit

First I want to say thank you to those who have expressed sympathy at the loss of our precious pal. We still miss her terribly (only been a week). Each day seems to have its share of tears, for both my husband and myself. I also share the greiving process with my mom as she had her Siberian husky of 12 years put to sleep a month ago and her cat both within weeks of each other. So I am happy to have her to share my sadness with, she also loved her "Granddog" very much. I also would like to share a poem that I received from our vet over the weekend. It is a tear jerker, but it has helped come to terms with the decision to have her put to sleep. I will try and post it within this message. Ok I can not post it, (ok found it on the internet: What the vet did was put a picture of Little Bit in the middle of this poem. And I have finally gotten rid of those feelings of guilt for putting her down. Maybe you have already read this, I never realized there was such things for the loss of one's pet. Now I will be more understanding to those that share this sorrow.
    • [SIZE=+3]The Last Battle [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+2]If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close -- we two -- these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

Ok now I am crying again
[/SIZE]
file:///F:/if%20it%20should%20be.jpg (broken link)file:///F:/if%20it%20should%20be.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-24-2008, 05:04 PM

Ok I am crying now too that poem is beautiful. I do hope that you got the E-mail I sent you the other day as I said there is no reason you should feel guilty. It sounds like Little Bit had a great life with you so stop and think of all the dogs that never get that chance to be loved and well cared for..now that is sad.The only thing you are gulity of is giving your heart to Little Bit and hopefully we are all gulity of that crime too. I hope the memories of Little Bit bring you comfort and that soon you can laugh at the memories instead of them bringing tears. I am sure Little Bit would rather have you laughing then crying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs