Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 09:29 AM

268 posts, read 704,086 times

Advertisements

Outstanding! Im going to send in my 2 cents too. What a creep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 09:34 AM

5,013 posts, read 10,696,212 times
Sorry, I was going to post yesterday; I actually started to, then ran out of time and had to head to class.

I also find the reporter's choice of topic a bit suspect and sleazy. I think that questioning policies is great and part of what makes our's a great country. However, as others have pointed out, the fact that a human officer's funeral expenses wouldn't even be questioned is what makes me so angry about this issue. A liberal reporter--or, at least, an intelligent one--wouldn't invoke a double standard to prove a point. The reporter obviously doesn't respect K-9 officers; I am also wondering if he is not just doing this to be controversial and, thus, sell newspapers, which won't happen b/c, as Outback pointed out, most people will actually boycott the paper and its advertisers (well done!!)

The reporter should be allowed to voice his opinion but, then, so can we. I am so happy to see so many people writing letters and e-mails. How are you all getting the address? I would like to send a letter myself. Also, if someone could find out and maybe post who their advertisers are, please let me know.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:03 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,979,304 times
Even if he was a dog hater...the funeral is just as much for the human officers involved. I imagine they must become incredibly close to their canine partners and fear losing them in this way. A funeral with full honors can help them to understand that their feelings of loss and grief are normal and to eventually be able to go back out and perform their duties to the best of their ability.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:43 PM

298 posts, read 998,740 times
It looks like news-press.com went and posted minute-by-minute detail about the funeral. I'm sure he did this hoping for criticism.
Officers honor fallen Fort Myers K9 Rosco | news-press.com | The News-Press

Old 09-16-2010, 02:41 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times
RIP Rosco. Just leaves me in tears.

Thank you to everyone that sent letters to the News Press. This one really hit home for me. It was the neighboring department. Like losing a family member. Been a rough day.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:44 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
..................The reporter should be allowed to voice his opinion but, then, so can we. I am so happy to see so many people writing letters and e-mails. How are you all getting the address? I would like to send a letter myself. Also, if someone could find out and maybe post who their advertisers are, please let me know.
In the email tha6t Mrs posted, the 1st post, is the header with his email address.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:46 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
The news papers there - Lee and Collier County - have a very long standing hatred of the sheriff's offices and police departments. They twist everything that's said and use everything out of context. I thought it was just there until I had the 'pleasure' of experiencing it myself in middle TN. It's left the worst taste in my mouth for anyone in the media. I think less of them than I do sleazy used car salesmen.
There is a reason we line bird cages and wrap fish in newspaper.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:39 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
There is a reason we line bird cages and wrap fish in newspaper.
LOL. Thanks for the smile.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:08 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,011,174 times
I received a reply from the newspaper;

Quote:
The News-Press is committed to reflecting, connecting, challenging and leading the community. Our job is to ask questions. There apparently is a misperception about our outreach on this story. We honor Roscoe. We're covering the funeral right now with all due respect. We always welcome thoughtful feedback and invite you to come visit with myself and our executive editor, Terry Eberle, so we can hear more thoroughly your views. Let me know. Thank you.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:12 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
I received a reply from the newspaper;
hhhmmmm .... wonder if they got more of a response to the original questions in the emails than they were anticipating and realized they should change the tone of their reportage..... the article says NOTHING about expense, although does carefully describe all of the law enforcement agencies in attendance.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs