Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2010, 05:14 AM

386 posts, read 1,358,634 times

Advertisements

I have two adult mixed breed dogs(cocker spaniel mix and pomeranian mix). One has always been good with other dogs. The other was insecure when I adopted her and had food and dog aggression issues which have greatly reduced over the years. My problem child does well when approached by a calm dog, but if the dog is playful and excited she automatically reverts to her defensive mode and begins growling and snapping. She has begun to rub off on my other calmer pup and they now are not always the friendlies dogs upon approach.

We are moving in a couple of weeks and there are dogs everywhere. My new next door neighbor has 2 small dogs that love to jump and play and it would be great to get all together to have play time. My worry is that there will be a fight due to my pomeranians attitude.

I plan to introduce my dogs independently to the neighbors dogs on a leash so I can either reward or correct the behavior and will ask the neighbor to put hers on a leash initially. Is it better to do this in my yard or theirs - or maybe something more neutral? If anyone has been in this situation and can give me more tips, please let me know. I know from my previous experience if my dogs like a neighbors dog initially, things are great. Otherwise, mine will either hide behind me or start the snarling/growling phase and then they will never like the neighbor dog.

Thanks bunches!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 09:38 AM

33 posts, read 77,126 times
My trainer advised me to take the dogs on a walk, when first introducting them. He said to not let them sniff each other, just start walking. I have used this method a few times with my dogs and it has worked pretty well. good luck!

Old 09-22-2010, 09:56 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,239,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwlakewylie View Post

We are moving in a couple of weeks and there are dogs everywhere. My new next door neighbor has 2 small dogs that love to jump and play and it would be great to get all together to have play time. My worry is that there will be a fight due to my pomeranians attitude.
Some dogs are just not playful with other dogs, that's just how it is. Just because your neighbor has dogs doesn't mean you need a play date with them. It's like people bringing aggressive dogs to a dog park, because it is after all a place for dogs to be off leash. You already know how your dog reacts, why put him in a situation where he is stressed and bound to get aggressive? That's no fun for anyone involved!

Old 09-22-2010, 12:09 PM

970 posts, read 2,203,344 times
One of our dogs had some aggression issues when we adopted him. We did a ton of socialization, a ton of treats/praise for good interactions, and learned how to monitor his behavior if he even showed the slightest indication that he might have a problem. I don't like the idea of simply avoiding other dogs because then you are always going to be paranoid every time another dog approaches, and it's not fun to be "that person" with the bad dog.

We introduced him off-leash to other dogs (with owner permission). Whenever he approached calmly he got a lot of treats and praise. When he showed even the slightest aggression we immediately corrected him and walked the other direction. It took a lot of patience but he started to figure out that if he behaved badly then he didn't get to see other dogs. We also learned to read his behavior. He starts to act differently if he is stressed out so we always remove him BEFORE there is a problem. That way he gets a minute to calm down and we don't reach the point where there needs to be a negative interaction. We also have a second, very well socialized dog so he gets some tips on good behavior from that dog!

A tip: our dog is really a very high energy breed so we give him some exercise before we let him off-leash anywhere. If he gets the chance to burn off a little energy before interacting with other dogs he has no issues. Our newer dog has never been in a fight with another dog, bitten another dog, attacked another dog, etc and we take both dogs to off-leash areas at least 2x a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs