Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 09:02 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times

Advertisements

I can't tell if mine do or not . . . or if they just like lounging with me on the big bed all day! I think they do because they aren't as demanding or barky - just like Jasper12 said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 02:28 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,373,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau&Cloe View Post
Our dog Cloe (who weighs 50 lbs.), gets excited and jumps on us first thing in the morning and when it's time for her walk.

My husband had surgery on his shoulder last week and he was a little nervous about Cloe jumping and maybe hurting his shoulder. When we came home from the hospital, she watched me help him into the house and she must have sensed that something was wrong. She has not jumped once and acts very calm around my husband.

Does your dog act differently when you are sick?
I was sick with the flu about a month ago...was in bed for 2 days. I only got up to go to the bathroom and force some fluids in me. My dog, who usually barks and paws at me to take him outside to potty KNEW I was sick. He would jump off the bed--go out to the DR and potty on his pee pads and then come back to my bedroom and cry to get back up with me on the bed. He never bothered me to take him outside. He would jump off the bed to eat, then come right back to cuddle beside me.

Old 10-09-2010, 02:37 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
My older dog will sit close to me and nuzzle me if I feel bad.

My younger dog is still a puppy spaz and would probably paw my face and poke me in the eye.

Both dogs get really quiet (miracle) and attentive when I'm sad. It's interesting.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:20 PM

288 posts, read 692,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.W.Deering View Post
I think dogs are very intuitive when your sick or a little down. When I've been sick, Sheba goes into protective mode. As long as I remain laid up in bed, she will lay on top of my feet and keep watch. It's very comforting.
As Col Deering says, dogs are incredibly intuitive and sense things. If i have been in bed sick, my dog just lies next to the bed and won't move. it's very humbling to know how much they love you

Old 02-16-2014, 06:42 PM

1 posts, read 947 times
I'm actually looking this up cause my little pooch knows too and I was seeing how common it was.

I have a mouth infection right now it is horrible. I laid down hurting my pain killers only take off the edge but it's still hurts bad. He was by my side as usual when I'm upset, but a lot of the time I don't like to be touched or anything so he knows to wait for my ok.

I looked over at him and said please help me. I didn't expect him to do much except cuddle me but he got up from laying down put his paw gently on the area of my face that isn't sore and started licking along my chin where the central pain is located.

Normally he gives kisses on the lips once or twice and knows that I don't like to be licked. Idk why but what he did was really soothing he did that for like 4 minutes stopped then did it again till I fell asleep. When I move or make a noise he comes up and gently lays his cheek on my chin then puts his paw on my face and looks me in the eyes to see if I'm ok before he lays down again.

I've had him since I was 10 I'm 21 now and his mom actually went in to labor in my bed while I was asleep do he was born next to me. Needless to say we are attached to each other but I just thought this time took the cake.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:05 PM

279 posts, read 544,700 times
Yes, my dog usually sleeps in my bed. Last night I had food poisoning and my dog slept in her crate. This morning she stayed in the crate until I got her and showed her that I was better. Poor baby was scared. :-(

Old 01-12-2015, 06:19 PM

351 posts, read 693,575 times
Dogs can read body language very well. They are extremely good at it. If your facial expression and body movements have the slightest hints of discomfort, your dog will see it. How it acts is different with each dog. My first dog knew when my stomach hurt before I did. She's insist on coming in to the bathroom with me and would sit next to me and insist I hold her paw until I was feeling better. I knew that because she wouldn't stop pawing at me until I held her paw in my hand during all this. Then she was calm. If I had a migraine (which was way more often), she'd lay next to me. If she had to move, she'd move slowly and carefully. Otherwise, she prefers to plop in to bed without a care and shake up anyone in it. But when I was migrainey, she knew how to control herself. If I was sad or had a hard day, she'd really act up and would get her toys and play with them and run around trying to get me to chase her or she'd dance around until I smiled or laughed. She could read me like no one else could...human or not.

My other dog never got it. She'd jump on me when I had a migraine. She'd whine a bit if I were feeling sick with a stomach ache, and she'd just sigh and hang around if I was feeling down. So not all dogs will read their owners, or if they do read them, they may not always react the way you want them to or need them to.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:43 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,074,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvMarie View Post
I'm actually looking this up cause my little pooch knows too and I was seeing how common it was.

I have a mouth infection right now it is horrible. I laid down hurting my pain killers only take off the edge but it's still hurts bad. He was by my side as usual when I'm upset, but a lot of the time I don't like to be touched or anything so he knows to wait for my ok.

I looked over at him and said please help me. I didn't expect him to do much except cuddle me but he got up from laying down put his paw gently on the area of my face that isn't sore and started licking along my chin where the central pain is located.

Normally he gives kisses on the lips once or twice and knows that I don't like to be licked. Idk why but what he did was really soothing he did that for like 4 minutes stopped then did it again till I fell asleep. When I move or make a noise he comes up and gently lays his cheek on my chin then puts his paw on my face and looks me in the eyes to see if I'm ok before he lays down again.

I've had him since I was 10 I'm 21 now and his mom actually went in to labor in my bed while I was asleep do he was born next to me. Needless to say we are attached to each other but I just thought this time took the cake.
Omgosh, isn't that something. What a special dog you have.
I loved hearing that. Thanks for sharing...

Old 01-14-2015, 07:06 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
My Grover definitely knew when I was sick. Even though the other two dogs slept in the bed with my husband and me, Grover hated being in the bed and slept on the floor next to it. (No problem at all, as it was rather cozy in the bed.) But one year, on New Years Eve, I got the flu. I was out of the house when I started to feel sick, but as soon as I came home and went to bed, Grover followed me. I got in bed, and so did he. For three days, he slept right next to me, only leaving for my husband to let him out and feed him. He normally became pretty vocal when he didn't get his walks or exercise, but not during this time. He just quietly crawled back up next to me. What a sweet boy he was!

Old 01-20-2015, 11:59 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,696,073 times
I know this is about dogs, however I had a cat that would never lay with me in bed... typical independent cat, however whenever I was sick, he'd almost AWLAYS jump up on my bed and just lay there with me. It was the sweetest and cutest thing ever.

He has since died, but I'll never forget how he made me feel when I was sick. I thank god I had him for as long as I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs