Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 02:12 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times

Advertisements

I mentioned this a few years ago (Dog-Eating Wolf Attacks) and now the wolves are back. Earlier than before (they usually don't come this close to town until late December or January), in greater numbers, and residents are getting a bit upset.

Quote:
"When a pack of wolves is literally scouting a neighborhood and has dragged off a family's pet from their backyard, I think it is fair to expect something to be done about it, in a swift, effective manner," wrote Eagle River resident Candis Olmstead in a letter to the Alaska Department of Fish and Game

Source: Bold wolves on edges of Anchorage rattle residents' nerves: Wolves | adn.com
What would you do if your neighborhood was being menanced by wolves? It is not just the family pet at risk, but also children and small women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 07:46 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Suggest you contact Alaska Fish & Game and report the problem wolves in your neighborhood if they are not already aware of them.

Page 7 in the linked publication has the contact #'s
http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/manag...lf_country.pdf

Do not leave children unattended outside. I would protect my pets similar to my children,YMMV. Adults should know the law and know how to defend themselves from potential predator attacks be they from 2 legged or 4 legged predators.

edited to add: http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/manag...y_brochure.pdf

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 11-08-2010 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: link added

Old 11-08-2010, 07:49 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
Call up yur neighbor sp and have her bring some guns...sorry couldn't resist.

We don't have a wolf problem here but we do have a coyote problem and they are pretty agressive for 'yote's.

Like the previous poster said contact the authorities. Stay safe

Old 11-08-2010, 08:20 PM

Notifying the authorities might be a good idea if: 1) you wanted to provide statistical information; or 2) wanted to report a wolf attack after it has occurred. But if you expect authorities to do anything to prevent future wolf attacks, you will be sorely disappointed. It certainly didn't help the schoolteacher jogging near Chignik who was killed and partially consumed by wolves earlier this year.

Some have suggested setting traps, and while that may seem like a reasonable solution on the surface, when you are setting traps that close to town you risk trapping family pets and/or children. Killing family pets with traps to stop family pets from being killed by wolves makes no sense and is counter-productive.

As long as wolves can easily take pets they will continue returning for more year after year.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:25 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
Wolf Problems, Again

I may be mistaken, wouldn't be the first time, but....I thought that is why Browning makes their A-bolt in .270 caliber.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:14 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
From the article:
Mark Burch, a Fish and Game regional supervisor, said two wolf packs roam each side of the Glenn Highway.

In February, state biologists put radio collars on two wolves; one is still intact and transmitting.

The collar, which fixes a location every two hours, shows the smaller wolf pack ranging from Ship Creek to near Peters Creek, he said. Normally, the animals stay on military land but sometimes venture off.

"Everybody's a little nervous about it," she said. "But wolves are doing what wolves do."

This reminds me so much of the mountain lion situation in what used to be rural Colorado, but are now subdivisions. People lost their pets, and joggers were attacked--at least one was killed. Wild animals do not necessarily recognize artificial boundaries.

From the comments below the article:
They just reported on the 5:00 news. they are killing all the wolves. I do feel this is a bit much. Not much time to do any thinking on this plan.
I hope this is not true, but it probably is.

A comment from the article:
"I think the threat needs to be taken away," she said. "People have this idea they are safe, but I don't think it's worth taking any risks. It's a real threat.
My position on risk is different.
There are all kinds of risks in any living situation, from urban to suburban to rural. When I lived in inner city Denver, I adjusted to that risk.
I have friends who spent 3 years in Alaska. They recognized that they shared the land with other critters, the wolves were something that came with the territory.
They never let their pets outside alone at dusk.
I would do the same, and I would bring some Mace or pepper spray along when walking. If I had my dogs with me, they would be leashed.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Wolf Problems, Again

I may be mistaken, wouldn't be the first time, but....I thought that is why Browning makes their A-bolt in .270 caliber.
That would be my solution as well, but I don't live in town. Law enforcement tends to frown on those who discharge firearms within city limits.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
This reminds me so much of the mountain lion situation in what used to be rural Colorado, but are now subdivisions. People lost their pets, and joggers were attacked--at least one was killed. Wild animals do not necessarily recognize artificial boundaries.
It isn't the artificial boundaries that concern me. We get all kinds of critters who walk through town, including moose and bear. If left unmolested they rarely pose any problems. Only wolves go out of their way to kill family pets, and that is where we have to draw the line.

Quote:
From the comments below the article:
They just reported on the 5:00 news. they are killing all the wolves. I do feel this is a bit much. Not much time to do any thinking on this plan.
I hope this is not true, but it probably is.
We are hardly killing all the wolves. The wolves in the packs that includes the Eagle River area being hunted and destroyed, but that is only two packs out of thousands. Wolves are not endangered in Alaska.

Quote:
A comment from the article:
"I think the threat needs to be taken away," she said. "People have this idea they are safe, but I don't think it's worth taking any risks. It's a real threat.
My position on risk is different.
There are all kinds of risks in any living situation, from urban to suburban to rural. When I lived in inner city Denver, I adjusted to that risk.
I have friends who spent 3 years in Alaska. They recognized that they shared the land with other critters, the wolves were something that came with the territory.
They never let their pets outside alone at dusk.
I would do the same, and I would bring some Mace or pepper spray along when walking. If I had my dogs with me, they would be leashed.
Until a few years ago wolves would only approach a population center when they were on the verge of starvation and desperate, typically by mid- or late-winter. However, since 2007 the wolf attacks have gotten earlier and more frequent. They no longer take family pets out of desperation or wait until they are starving.

I have no problem sharing the land with the wildlife, but I draw the line at allowing them to feed on me, my dogs, or destroying my property. Never allowing your pets out after "dusk" is not an option in Alaska during the winter months when there is only 4 hours of daylight, and the presence of humans is not a deterrent any more. If you want to stop a wolf attack, you will definitely need something more than mace/pepper spray. It is not like a typical domestic dog attack for dominance, they are out to kill and mace/pepper spray won't stop them.

These two wolf packs near Eagle River and Anchorage need to be hunted and destroyed before they start targeting children instead of family pets. Unfortunately, these wolves reside primarily on the military bases near town, where hunting is not allowed. Doing nothing and allowing the attacks to continue unabated is not an option.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:06 AM

511 posts, read 2,199,789 times
Do what you need to do to protect yourself. When choosing to live with wildlife, you must make adjustments to the way you live, or move. Problem wolves, wolves showing little to no fear of humans, should be eliminated (goes for any species). Dosen't mean all wolves should be eliminated. Carry a handgun, leash your dogs, and don't let children or pets go out alone... alone being the key word, no matter the time of day. Also, for dogs... if it was me personally I'd buid a wolf-safe dog run. They can buid enclosures to keep wolves in, so I'm sure you could build an enclosue to keep wolves out. Educate your self & your children about what to do if they sight a wolf (or another dangerous animal) and further, what to do if the animal is stalking you to promote the best chance of surviving.

We have problems here with mountain lions comming into town, usually in the spring. Young, wandering males seeking new territory. Once, a denning monther. Cats comming into town and showing no fear of people are eliminated. Very rarely dose a cat come in to town and get away with it's life. Last spring, some folks were furious a lion was in town, spouting about how it was G&F's job to keep wildlife out of the city limits... um, no. Impossible. G&F will act quickly to eliminate a problem animal, but keeping them out? You want to live in a place like this, you have to accept the fact that there are wild animals you're going to have to deal with. You have to make adjustments & learn what to do to lessen the chance of an encounter & what to do when faced with an encounter (we have bear, lions, wolves, moose, rattlesnakes... along with other wildlife risks such as rabies).

The horrible, sad case of the young school teacher killed this year is an example of what happens when you allow yourself to feel too comfortable in such an environment. Jogging alone, without any form of personal protection, with earbuds in... in Alaska where there are know dangers from bear & wolves... Very sad, but possibly could have had a different outcome if she had been paying better attention to the surrounding or had been carrying. And yes, my thoughts are that all of the wolves from that pack should be eliminated.

Bottom line though, there is no sure-fire way to be 100% safe in that environment. If the packs are eliminated, new wolves will eventually move into the area. It's only a temp fix. You have to accept the risks and make adjustments to how you live. Meanwhile, any wolf comming into a neigborhood or town should be eliminated. Just my honest opinion...

Old 11-09-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanPDC View Post
Do what you need to do to protect yourself. When choosing to live with wildlife, you must make adjustments to the way you live, or move. Problem wolves, wolves showing little to no fear of humans, should be eliminated (goes for any species). Dosen't mean all wolves should be eliminated. Carry a handgun, leash your dogs, and don't let children or pets go out alone... alone being the key word, no matter the time of day. Also, for dogs... if it was me personally I'd buid a wolf-safe dog run. They can buid enclosures to keep wolves in, so I'm sure you could build an enclosue to keep wolves out. Educate your self & your children about what to do if they sight a wolf (or another dangerous animal) and further, what to do if the animal is stalking you to promote the best chance of surviving.

We have problems here with mountain lions comming into town, usually in the spring. Young, wandering males seeking new territory. Once, a denning monther. Cats comming into town and showing no fear of people are eliminated. Very rarely dose a cat come in to town and get away with it's life. Last spring, some folks were furious a lion was in town, spouting about how it was G&F's job to keep wildlife out of the city limits... um, no. Impossible. G&F will act quickly to eliminate a problem animal, but keeping them out? You want to live in a place like this, you have to accept the fact that there are wild animals you're going to have to deal with. You have to make adjustments & learn what to do to lessen the chance of an encounter & what to do when faced with an encounter (we have bear, lions, wolves, moose, rattlesnakes... along with other wildlife risks such as rabies).

The horrible, sad case of the young school teacher killed this year is an example of what happens when you allow yourself to feel too comfortable in such an environment. Jogging alone, without any form of personal protection, with earbuds in... in Alaska where there are know dangers from bear & wolves... Very sad, but possibly could have had a different outcome if she had been paying better attention to the surrounding or had been carrying. And yes, my thoughts are that all of the wolves from that pack should be eliminated.

Bottom line though, there is no sure-fire way to be 100% safe in that environment. If the packs are eliminated, new wolves will eventually move into the area. It's only a temp fix. You have to accept the risks and make adjustments to how you live. Meanwhile, any wolf comming into a neigborhood or town should be eliminated. Just my honest opinion...
I think that is sound advice, and I am in complete agreement. I have an 18' by 10' by 6' covered chainlink kennel behind my heated garage, accessible via a doggy door. It keeps my dogs safe, and allows them to go outside anytime they choose. Otherwise they only go outside with me during the winter, leashed, and I am armed.

There have also been several bear attacks in Anchorage, and they all either involved joggers or bicyclists using a trail in one of the greenbelts. As you said, they were not paying attention to their surroundings. There are certainly adjustments that need to be made when living with wildlife, even in the cities like Anchorage. For example, uncovered trash sitting in front of property waiting for pick-up is just asking for bear problems. We still have a lot of people who don't realize that they are the cause of the problem. You take away the critter's impetus, and it is very unlikely you will have problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs