Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 06:20 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,446,315 times

Advertisements

We have been having a lot of wolf attacks in and around Fairbanks and Anchorage recently.

Bold Wolves Have Residents on Edge (Fairbanks Daily News-Miner, 12/07) (broken link)
Troubling Wolf Behavior Reported (Fairbanks Daily News-Miner, 12/08) (broken link)
Community Forum Offers Few Solutions to Recent Wolf Attacks (Fairbanks Daily News-Miner, 12/10) (broken link)
Wolves Kill 2 Dogs in Anchorage-Area Attacks (Anchorage Daily News, 12/12) (http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/wildlife/wolves/story/9514718p-9424671c.html - broken link)

We have to keep a careful eye on our precious pooches, even in the cities. This is another good reason to keep our dogs on leashes when taking them for a walk. It also doesn't hurt to be well armed, just in case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 07:28 PM

575 posts, read 3,694,142 times
Jesus, when you know you have wolves around you have to take extra care with your dogs. Stupid owners again.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:31 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,525,040 times
Shoot em if attacking dogs must be to many or sick they taking easy prey.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
Shoot em if attacking dogs must be to many or sick they taking easy prey.
While it is legal to shoot wolves in defense of life or property in Alaska, it is illegal to shoot them with a .22 caliber rifle or pistol since they are considered "big game" in Alaska. Also, they are very wary of humans and none of these attacks took place where humans could observe them, much less shoot them. Wolves also rarely travel alone, unless they are rabid or otherwise sick, and pet dogs don't stand a chance against a pack of hungry wolves.

There are a great number of wolves in Alaska, and we have taken steps to lower their number through sterilization. Primarily for the purpose of increasing other game, such as moose and caribou. Wolves generally stay outside city limits, but occassionally will wander into the cities for, as you say, easy prey. "Easy prey" not only includes pets but also children.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:40 AM

1,310 posts, read 6,556,627 times
What's the status on the fight against shooting wolves by air. There's been a huge conflict of air-licensed shooting of wolves out there in Alaska, Colorado and montana (?). I can understand the concern of controling numbers, but the method of chasing them down and shooting them when their are exhausted just seems very unnecessary. I haven't heard politicans taking on more humane methods like sterilization. Anyone know about this?

http://www.alaskawolfkill.com/

http://www.defenders.org/resources/p...ng_q_and_a.pdf
[url="http://www.defenders.org/programs_and_policy/policy_and_legislation/aerial_hunting.php"]

Video

http://www.defenders.org/programs_and_policy/policy_and_legislation/aerial_hunting.php (broken link)

Old 12-13-2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
What's the status on the fight against shooting wolves by air. There's been a huge conflict of air-licensed shooting of wolves out there in Alaska, Colorado and montana (?). I can understand the concern of controling numbers, but the method of chasing them down and shooting them when their are exhausted just seems very unnecessary. I haven't heard politicans taking on more humane methods like sterilization. Anyone know about this?

http://www.alaskawolfkill.com/

http://www.defenders.org/resources/p...ng_q_and_a.pdf
[url="http://www.defenders.org/programs_and_policy/policy_and_legislation/aerial_hunting.php"]

Video

http://www.defenders.org/programs_and_policy/policy_and_legislation/aerial_hunting.php (broken link)
The Connecticut-based organization (don't be fooled by their Anchorage P.O. Box) lost their suit in Alaska's court. The last I heard on the subject was three permits per year were being issued by the ADF&G to allow aerial shooting, or landing and shooting on the same day, of wolves in the McGrath area in order to reduce the wolf population. Area residents need between 130 and 150 moose/caribou per year, but have only been averaging between 60 and 90 for the last decade. My information is also a couple years old, so things may have changed.

Other areas where there are an over-abundance of wolves where hunting is restricted or prohibited (such as Denali National Park) the ADF&G biologists shoot the wolves (from the ground) with darts that leave them sterile. Their numbers are reduced through attrition.

Keep in mind that this is NOT hunting, but rather population control. Except for the limited number of permits issued in the McGrath area (as I noted above), it is illegal to shoot any game from the air, and it is also illegal to land and shoot any game on the same day.

Wolf Control in Alaska

Last edited by Glitch; 12-13-2007 at 01:04 PM..

Old 12-13-2007, 03:41 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
"Easy prey" not only includes pets but also children.
My friends in Alaska lost a couple cats to what they assumed were wolves--it is scary to think that children or grownups are hurt, let alone killed.
Woman Recovering After Wolf Attack

Attacks by wild, healthy wolves on humans are unusual but not unprecedented, according to McNay, who spent two years researching wolf attacks in North America and came up with 13 such attacks in the past 30 years through the year 2000. Eleven of those attacks involved "habituated" or "food-conditioned" wolves that had lost their fear of people while only two were by non-habituated wolves, he said.

"They're rare, but they're not unheard of," McNay said of wolf attacks on humans.

But sometimes they are rabid, or not even full-blooded wolves.
I have heard of several wolf-on-human attacks in Colorado, and every single one of them were wolf/dog hybrids.
Obviously this is not the case in Alaska--these are bold wolves with a definite attitude.
And I guess the problem is some dogs don't stay inside, and are easy pickings.
Regardless, I'm glad it's still illegal to shoot wolves from the air.
That practice just makes me sick.
Of course they are wild animals and I am not saying that they can't be dangerous or troublesome, I just hope that the bad apples don't spoil it for the others.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:33 PM

2006 was suppose to be the Chinese Year of the Dog. I guess the Alaskan wolves didn't get the memo.

Wolves blamed in two Eagle River attacks <-- Also demonstrates the uselessness of pepper spray.

State sets up wolf hot line for Two Rivers and North Pole 1-907-459-7308

One more thing, domesticated dogs, no matter how large or feirce, are no match against a pack of hungry wolves.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:37 PM
miu

17,767 posts, read 40,158,197 times
In MA, we've had some problems with coyotes attacking and killing cats and small dogs. It doesn't surprise me that wolves would be doing this also.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:43 PM

These are probably young wolves. They typically are not this aggressive, or come this close to town. During the winter of 1974 there were approximately 165 dogs lost to wolves. Again, they were younger wolves and that winter and the prior winter had very a poor moose/caribou population. There isn't a shortage of moose/caribou this winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs