Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 05:23 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone. It's strange that I am the only one he does it to, but I am the firm/assertive one in the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 01:51 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
My dog does that to me too. Usually she's trying to tell me something and I just have to figure out what it is. If I'm sitting and she comes up and barks at me, then when I stand up she'll lead me to what she wants (leash to go for a walk, back door to run around in the yard/go potty, a toy stuck under the couch, her treat box). Sometimes she does it if she knows I'm mad at her for something.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
My dog does that to me too. Usually she's trying to tell me something and I just have to figure out what it is. If I'm sitting and she comes up and barks at me, then when I stand up she'll lead me to what she wants (leash to go for a walk, back door to run around in the yard/go potty, a toy stuck under the couch, her treat box). Sometimes she does it if she knows I'm mad at her for something.
I know what you mean, but the way my dog barks is different. More like I startled him.

One time I brought him in from a walk, he walks into the living room and I follow, take my coat off, and he turns around and starts barking like I'm some stranger.

It's odd.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:45 PM

295 posts, read 1,213,626 times
How long has he been doing this? Does the behavior recur after you correct him, or is it only when he sees you again after a brief separation?

It's possible that he's challenging you for "pack position" or seeking attention, but those behaviors would be more frequent than what you've described and in more varied circumstances. I think it's more likely that something you are doing or wearing is a trigger for him and he goes into protect or alert mode. Can you think of any possible triggers? Are you wearing a hat or clothing that he's not accustomed to or that somehow makes you look - or smell - differently, or perhaps reminds him of an unpleasant experience before you got him 5 months ago? Could he think he needs to protect your girlfriend? Another thought: how is his eyesight? If he doesn't see you as clearly from a distance as when you are closer, he may perceive you to be an intruder/stranger until you speak and he then recognizes your voice.

A vet check could be helpful, as could a consult with a behaviorist.

Last edited by shroom; 12-14-2010 at 12:01 AM..

Old 12-14-2010, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroom View Post
How long has he been doing this? Does the behavior recur after you correct him, or is it only when he sees you again after a brief separation?

It's possible that he's challenging you for "pack position" or seeking attention, but those behaviors would be more frequent than what you've described and in more varied circumstances. I think it's more likely that something you are doing or wearing is a trigger for him and he goes into protect or alert mode. Can you think of any possible triggers? Are you wearing a hat or clothing that he's not accustomed to or that somehow makes you look - or smell - differently, or perhaps reminds him of an unpleasant experience before you got him 5 months ago? Could he think he needs to protect your girlfriend? Another thought: how is his eyesight? If he doesn't see you as clearly from a distance as when you are closer, he may perceive you to be an intruder/stranger until you speak and he then recognizes your voice.

A vet check could be helpful, as could a consult with a behaviorist.
Maybe a month, if that. I thought the same thing -- I was wearing something that would make me seem new. Can't think of anything that was consistent. I would imagine it's more of a pack level thing rather than attention as he pretty much gets constant attention when we are home.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:36 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
I'm in no position to tell anyone not to spoil their dog but trainers will tell you not to give a dog "constant attention". That could foster unwanted behaviors.
And you were kidding about little dogs on another thread right? All my dogs have been 50 lbs. plus but some of my best friends are little guys.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I'm in no position to tell anyone not to spoil their dog but trainers will tell you not to give a dog "constant attention". That could foster unwanted behaviors.
And you were kidding about little dogs on another thread right? All my dogs have been 50 lbs. plus but some of my best friends are little guys.
yes I was.

and I didn't really mean "constant attention" but the dog is not really alone once we get home. That's what happens in a 1br apt

Old 12-14-2010, 08:37 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
could he have developed a vision problem?

Old 12-15-2010, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
could he have developed a vision problem?
Pretty selective vision problem if you ask me he handles everything else normally.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:33 AM

2 posts, read 3,077 times
me too , i'm scare , maybe i'm haunted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs