Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 03:29 PM

553 posts, read 1,632,797 times

Advertisements

I would try to get an older dog. Leaving a puppy alone from 9-5 is asking for trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 04:36 PM

7 posts, read 124,046 times
Thank you all so much for your insight. To answer a few questions...

I have not had a dog before, however I pet sat my aunt's maltese for a month while she was in the hospital (which I thought was good trial period haha).

As for the allergies, agreed, I know that there are not hypo-allergenic dogs, which is why I didn't say that in my original post.

I am looking to have the dog trained inside and out (my aunt's trained on wee pads in the bathrooms and the backyard). I plan on having many toys for them around.

I was concerned about having someone come into my house because as I said, I'm moving 1000 miles from where I've lived the past 6 years and don't know anyone where I'm going. Another reason I want a smaller dog is because I do like to travel at least one weekend a month and I'd like to be able to take them with me in the car or on the plane easily.

Again, thank you so much everyone for your insight.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:45 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,011,042 times
In my experience, a lot of it comes down to what the dog's routine is from the start. If they are left alone for the working-day, then that's what they get used to. However, with that being said, it's important, if they are left for extended periods during the day, that you make up that time with them in the evenings and on the weekends.

Kizzy has been crate-trained from the start. Now, he RUNS into his crate in the mornings when he knows his peanut butter-filled Kong is coming. He gets his exercise and stimulation in the evenings, and especially on the weekends when he travels with me to Canada. Is it the ideal? Probably not. However, it is what it is at this moment, and I think he's dealing with it quite nicely.

Realistically, there are not too many people who can stay home with their dogs 24/7. Doggie day care is expensive as a long-term solution. IMO (and of course this will depend on the individual dog) you absolutely can have one of many types of breeds in the situation that you describe *so long as you're willing to give the attention to the dog when you are home*.

I wish you the best.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:01 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Most people work - a high percentage of them, outside the home. And of those, many do not work near enough to their homes to pop in midday and let a dog out/take one for a walk. Most are not in the market for daily doggie day care. We are those people...something we considered when looking to adopt. We are not rare among dog owners.

What was crucial to us in having success with Willie were the following factors:

- He's not a puppy.

- He's not a tiny dog with a small bladder that can't reasonably be expected to go very long without a bathroom break.

- He came to us already house trained and crate trained.

-We use the crate to prevent any trouble he can get into. He had some anxiety, and finding the best crating system for us took about a year's worth of trial and error, and obedience training cut down on a lot of his anxiety.

-We build in bonding time when we ARE home...we get up early every morning to take a long walk pre-crating. He sleeps on our bed at night, not in the crate. We take him with us whenever possible when running errands after work and on the weekend. We travel with him 99% of the time. He does not lack for attention from us outside of our regular working hours. As I type this, he's curled up on my feet.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:14 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,856,918 times
since you already have experience with your aunts maltese and it didnt seem to bother your allergies, id definatly suggest looking for a maltese, lhasa, shi-tzu or habe a havanese (havs seem to be a little higher energy than the others) all those breeds have a very similar coat and similar dander structure.
because youve got allergies though no matter what breed id definatly suggest regular baths (about once a week with a GENTLE shampoo and a good grooming/trim at least every 6-8 weeks or so depending on if your planning a puppy trim of whant that full luxurious coat.

in terms of traveling companions id definatly look for a smaller member of the breed (dont fall for teacup, pocket, minature scams...smaller puppies are just the runts of the litter) but given to travel in cab the carrier has to fit under the seat anything over 10lbs can become uncomfortable.

ive airtraveld with dogs up to 10lbs comfortably in cab (also being air travel is a possibility, look into pet-flys carriers, expensive but AMAZING and wonderfull customer service, i have 2 pet flys carriers and they are airline aproved for many airlines, (i much prefer them to sherpa brand)

i absolutly feel its possible for a dog of a single person (or a couple) working full time to be a very very happy dog as long as your willing to dedicate the time when you do have it

if you get a puppy and want a reliable walker for a short potty break visit, there are companies and pet sitters out there that CAN be trusted...simply look for a pet sitter that is insured and bonded and talk to references a good way to find them is to talk to your new vet (alot of vet techs offer dog walks and pet sitting as a form of extra income!)
you can find walkers with some good rates.

i personally do dog walks in my town starting at $7 for 1/2 hour walk and offer package deals...
and if its just puppy potty breaks its less (though i do only offer them fairly local as it doesnt usually cover the cost of gas to get there otherwise lol)

Old 01-05-2011, 10:03 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,168,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflowerlax View Post
I was concerned about having someone come into my house because as I said, I'm moving 1000 miles from where I've lived the past 6 years and don't know anyone where I'm going.
Are you buying a home or renting? I have a friend who has a 9-5 job, a 50# dog and lives on the 3rd floor of a complex and it works for them. They take long walks morning and evening & a short walk before bedtime. Just saying lack of a fenced-in yard in a single family home requires a lot more effort or expense.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:26 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
It blows my mind that people assume a dog will be sad and lonely if left alone from 9-5. My dogs have always been alone during the day---with the exception of these past few years. They just sleep. They're not lonely. They're not sad. Dogs sleep most of the day. They do it when we're home too. And they are very spoiled and very loved, not neglected at all.

But I do recommend that the OP adopt a dog from a rescue that has had the dog in a foster home. That way the OP will know for sure that the dog is completely house trained and can handle being alone for long periods of time.

As for the allergies, get allergy shots before you get a dog. If you don't, you're setting the dog up for being gotten rid of or yourself or endless allergy pills. Allergy shots are well worth the investment. Do it before you get a dog. You won't have to wait until you are done with the allergy shots. Allergy shots start working within the first month of starting the shots.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:31 PM

19 posts, read 52,841 times
I have a bichon.....she holds her bladder from 11 pm....till after 10 am....we have to take tge male retriever out at 6 and 8 am. But the female bichon doesn't get up till 10 or after.....she is 7.5 yrs old.....
But note that small dogs don't like to go outside in the rain.....snow.....cold....she only went out from doggie peer pressure. Lol

Old 01-13-2014, 09:34 PM

1 posts, read 4,793 times
Of course they would be okay. Do you think they would rather be dumped at the shelter crowded behind cages and listening to other dogs bark all day? Peace and quiet at home is much better than that.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:51 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
This thread is years old. OP has moved on by now. But I will add that I think it is cruel to leave any dog home alone all day. Some do well in cages or even in as fenced yard but most dogs crave human companionship. Or at least a canine buddy to keep it company.

But I will also say a Bichon is a Velcrodog and will not do well alone that much time. I belong to some rescue alert groups and i see that Bichons are most often rehomed due to them being miserable because nobody has time to properly care for them or socialize with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs