Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 08:04 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,738,243 times

Advertisements

It wont last. If they don't have the discipline to train their dog, eventually they will get tired of it barking inside. Goodluck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 10:01 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,695,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
It appears that you are trying to lay responsibility for the barking dog on the OP. If the owners of that nuisance dog can't or won't control it, they are 100% responsible for its death, if it comes to that, not the OP. There are laws in place so idiots like the barking dog owner are not allowed to disrupt their neighbors lives just because they are brain dead.
All I'm saying is be aware that an action can have dire consequence on the animals. The OP is said "this dog is better off with someone else or even humanely euthanized than having to stand outside, begging to be let in with his family." What if someone posted that their dog barks all the time and disturbs the neighbors and was looking for a vet that would euthanize the dog? You, I and eveyone knows that person would have the wrath of god come down on them by everyone for such a suggestion, but in this case, the suggestion of euthanizing the dog is being accepted as a acceptable alternative. Thats a bunch of dog sheet if I ever heard it. Anyone who would accept a suggestion that euthanizing a dog for personal convinience is a sad example of a human being.

Its not the dogs fault they are kept outside and don;t kow better, the dog is the innocent victim in this. Is the dog attacking the OP's dog? Is the dog peeing and pooping on the OP's property? is the dog desised and threatens the OP and family health? What is the dog's crime? The OP and neighbor should duke it out but to suggest that euthanizing the dog over barking is a soluition??? my god and we call ourselves civilized? This is disgraceful!!!

To all you with the positive DM and rep comments, thank you for understanding (and not attacking me) and being just as disgusted with the notion that euthanizing the dog was acceptable solution. Mahalo.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:10 PM

3,751 posts, read 12,415,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
All I'm saying is be aware that an action can have dire consequence on the animals.
I'm quite curious about the position you are taking. Following your thought pattern, a dog, outside on a patio, alone, barking for attention, without any meaningful level of interaction, should be left there to live out its life? You really find that acceptable? Would you also say that dogs left chained in yards, or in puppy mills or in dog fight breeding facilities should also be left in those situations too? After all, in all the examples I gave, the dogs also have the rudiments to sustain life. Does that make those situations acceptable using your logic of action having dire consequences? Sometimes the cruelest thing you can do is NOTHING. I can't accept "well it could be worse" because it sure as hell can be better!

For the record, I am against euthanizing healthy dogs but I am appalled at situations where the dogs are subjected to mental cruelty and/or physical cruelty. Isolating a social animal is mental cruelty. How can I say that with any authority? How about almost 30 years of rescue experience and working to help dogs recover from the scars left by living on chains, in cages and in isolation.

I certainly hope that I am misinterpreting your views. Please correct me if I'm in error.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:15 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,111,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
All I'm saying is be aware that an action can have dire consequence on the animals. The OP is said "this dog is better off with someone else or even humanely euthanized than having to stand outside, begging to be let in with his family." What if someone posted that their dog barks all the time and disturbs the neighbors and was looking for a vet that would euthanize the dog? You, I and eveyone knows that person would have the wrath of god come down on them by everyone for such a suggestion, but in this case, the suggestion of euthanizing the dog is being accepted as a acceptable alternative. Thats a bunch of dog sheet if I ever heard it. Anyone who would accept a suggestion that euthanizing a dog for personal convinience is a sad example of a human being.

Its not the dogs fault they are kept outside and don;t kow better, the dog is the innocent victim in this. Is the dog attacking the OP's dog? Is the dog peeing and pooping on the OP's property? is the dog desised and threatens the OP and family health? What is the dog's crime? The OP and neighbor should duke it out but to suggest that euthanizing the dog over barking is a soluition??? my god and we call ourselves civilized? This is disgraceful!!!

To all you with the positive DM and rep comments, thank you for understanding (and not attacking me) and being just as disgusted with the notion that euthanizing the dog was acceptable solution. Mahalo.
You know some posters on here never fail to astound and amaze me with their , shall we say opinions . This is totally ridiculous and how judgemental , I take it you have never lived beside someone with an annoying dog or nuisiance . If you have then you would understand A little bit better what the op is going through and that poor dog would be better off with someone else obviously he lives with morons ...

Old 01-12-2011, 06:06 AM

25,978 posts, read 22,169,754 times
I don't know if it works or not but I have seen one of the bark control devices that looks like a small birdhouse and is supposed to have up to a 50 foot range. I saw it at both Wal-Mart and Jeffers Pet online. I would also make sure that I understand exactly how the law works as possibly disturbing the peace is more in play that late at night than barking dog. Often, unless you dig deep, they give you just enough selected information to make you leave them alone. I just kept saying "That doesn't sound right." until which point, they decided they could talk with the neighbor since it was disturbing the peace. Too often, people need a shove in order to do their jobs.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:53 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,479,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
You know some posters on here never fail to astound and amaze me with their , shall we say opinions . This is totally ridiculous and how judgemental , I take it you have never lived beside someone with an annoying dog or nuisiance . If you have then you would understand A little bit better what the op is going through and that poor dog would be better off with someone else []...
My first inclination if living beside an 'annoying or nuisance dog' would not be to absolve myself of responsibility in the possibility of that dog being euthanized if I were to call animal control. That should be the very last resort. And in a large city that routinely kills dogs because of overcrowding, that is a distinct possibility.

The attitude of 'it's not my problem/fault the neighbors have a nuisance dog, but I'll sure as heck make sure the dog is quiet or gone' is likely to start a neighbor war, of sorts.

There are other possibilities if polite talks with a neighbor do not work: try and find an adopter (friends, co-workers, relatives, etc), call a proper rescue site, offer to adopt the dog (then give the dog to a rescue)...and suggest these options to the owner. At least try. Why not take that route instead of immediately thinking of Animal Control?

What I think is absolutely ridiculous and even cruel, is to suggest to the OP a potentially painful physical deterrent to keep the dog quiet. It's a vindictive thing to do to an animal, because it sure as heck likely won't bother the owners.

As AnywhereElse pointed out, familiarizing oneself with disturbing the peace statutes before using an obnoxiously noisy deterrent would be the wise thing to do.

All possibilities should be explored shouldn't they? There're other options which require a simple phone call:
San Diego Animal Support Foundation: Home

Old 01-12-2011, 11:37 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,591,725 times
How did it go last night? Did they keep Buddy inside? Praying this situation doesn't escalate and that your neighbors will realize Buddy deserves to be inside with them a lot more...fingers, toes and paws all crossed over here for the well-being of all involved!

Old 01-12-2011, 11:49 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,299,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
How did it go last night? Did they keep Buddy inside? Praying this situation doesn't escalate and that your neighbors will realize Buddy deserves to be inside with them a lot more...fingers, toes and paws all crossed over here for the well-being of all involved!
She kept him in last night, but he's back out right now since it appears she went out and they don't leave him in the house when they're not home from what we can tell. Hey, as long as it's not yapping at 11pm, it's all good!

Old 01-12-2011, 03:23 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,111,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
My first inclination if living beside an 'annoying or nuisance dog' would not be to absolve myself of responsibility in the possibility of that dog being euthanized if I were to call animal control. That should be the very last resort. And in a large city that routinely kills dogs because of overcrowding, that is a distinct possibility.

The attitude of 'it's not my problem/fault the neighbors have a nuisance dog, but I'll sure as heck make sure the dog is quiet or gone' is likely to start a neighbor war, of sorts.

There are other possibilities if polite talks with a neighbor do not work: try and find an adopter (friends, co-workers, relatives, etc), call a proper rescue site, offer to adopt the dog (then give the dog to a rescue)...and suggest these options to the owner. At least try. Why not take that route instead of immediately thinking of Animal Control?

What I think is absolutely ridiculous and even cruel, is to suggest to the OP a potentially painful physical deterrent to keep the dog quiet. It's a vindictive thing to do to an animal, because it sure as heck likely won't bother the owners.

As AnywhereElse pointed out, familiarizing oneself with disturbing the peace statutes before using an obnoxiously noisy deterrent would be the wise thing to do.

All possibilities should be explored shouldn't they? There're other options which require a simple phone call:
San Diego Animal Support Foundation: Home
Excuse me I did not suggest a physically painful deterent. Or really disturbing the peace ? well to me sleep is peace and if I aint getting my sleep then im irritated . i sure as heck dont think any little peaceful talk is going to solve anything , if anything they most likely will not care . I have had neighbors from hell before and tried the little peacefull talk thing and they told me to politely f off . I dont believe that talking with ppl who have no respect for their neighbors to begin with will solve anything . I say hit them in the pocketbook , that is all some people understand .

Old 01-12-2011, 03:37 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,299,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I say hit them in the pocketbook , that is all some people understand .
Funny you say that, that's exactly what the police operator told me! She said the fine is usually $500, and that's when results start to happen because they can fine over and over again and no one wants to part with their money. She also said they make them go to mandatory obedience classes, for which the owner has to pay. She told me to document and keep a log of everything, and the videos are a good start to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs