Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 04:14 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
I'm quite curious about the position you are taking. Following your thought pattern, a dog, outside on a patio, alone, barking for attention, without any meaningful level of interaction, should be left there to live out its life? You really find that acceptable? Would you also say that dogs left chained in yards, or in puppy mills or in dog fight breeding facilities should also be left in those situations too? After all, in all the examples I gave, the dogs also have the rudiments to sustain life. Does that make those situations acceptable using your logic of action having dire consequences? Sometimes the cruelest thing you can do is NOTHING. I can't accept "well it could be worse" because it sure as hell can be better!

For the record, I am against euthanizing healthy dogs but I am appalled at situations where the dogs are subjected to mental cruelty and/or physical cruelty. Isolating a social animal is mental cruelty. How can I say that with any authority? How about almost 30 years of rescue experience and working to help dogs recover from the scars left by living on chains, in cages and in isolation.

I certainly hope that I am misinterpreting your views. Please correct me if I'm in error.
I don;t think your misinterpreting my views but rather getting caught up in the hesteria of defending the Op because of who that person is.

My original point was and still is, that taking the route of animal control or legal could potentially place the dog in the sights of a needle. We all know peopkle somehow belive that when taking these routes, its the owner who suffers. But that's not always the case. A dog being a dog is what it is. The blame is on the owner for not controlling the dog. AC or law enforcement may simple expand the owners irresponsible behavior and they could take steps that does not correct the problem, but ends the problem through euhtinazia.

The second point is that a solution of humane euthinazia to solve the problem is way down on the list. The fact that it was mentioned as almost the first step, chills the body. Who in their right mind would consider putting a dog down before exploinrg or discussing all the other options? That is a window into the truth soul of a person and no amount of animal loving this or that can hide their true self. I really don;t care who is who and who is who's friends and buddies, humand euthanizaia is one of the last options, never a quick solution to be mentioned just like if they should have red or white wine with dinner. The way it was brought out and how quick it was an option can niot be ignored no matter what the person wants others to think they are. I would slap the crap out of my mother if she made that the second step solution as was done here.

You can see the truth when you read how quick hitting the dog's owner in the pocket book is a joyous solution that they are proud of. What happends when a person is facing heavy fines with their animal? Probably the shelter and a date with the needle. is that helping the dog or the complainer? It won't solve the real issue with the dog's owner. It just resulted in a dead dog.

I think most are concerned for the OP and who that person is to them and can't focus on the issue at hand. This thread is not about the dog or the noise, it has become a support group for a single person regardless of their actions. I don;t know the OP so could care less who they are buddy buddy with so I'm adressing the consequenses to the dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 04:23 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,473,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Excuse me I did not suggest a physically painful deterent. Or really disturbing the peace ? well to me sleep is peace and if I aint getting my sleep then im irritated . i sure as heck dont think any little peaceful talk is going to solve anything , if anything they most likely will not care . I have had neighbors from hell before and tried the little peacefull talk thing and they told me to politely f off . I dont believe that talking with ppl who have no respect for their neighbors to begin with will solve anything . I say hit them in the pocketbook , that is all some people understand .
You did not suggest a painful deterrent, but others in this thread have; others in this thread have suggested a fog-horn, or whatever the heck they're called. That's a silly suggestion, isn't it?

I don't think peaceful talk will help in the long-term, either. But the OP has to - and did - try that. If they don't care about their dog, they aren't going to care about being a good neighbor.

Again, as I'm sure the OP is aware, there are other alternatives if talking doesn't work. What was previously suggested is to document everything. According to the OP, they're going to have to get more than one complainant to assess fines, correct?

Anyway, like Va-cat said, fingers are crossed here for the well-being of everyone, including the neighbor's dog.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:43 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Our neighbors with whom we share a fence have two basset hounds who are very territorial, and if they are out and Willie's out, there is endless baying on their part. We thought that over time, they'd get accustomed to having another dog as a neighbor, but that appears not to be the case. The saving grace is that they aren't outside all the time, and they can bay and run along the fenceline till they're blue in the face and worn out, and it won't faze Willie in the least. We also live in an area with very large lots, very large lawns, and we aren't right on top of them, or the baying would be much more annoying.

We're fortunate, because we have a beagle mix who apparently didn't inherit the baying propensity...he'll bark on occasion, but he's definitely not very beagle-y in that regard.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:11 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times
Hmm, seems like you don't have to be a "regular poster" to get the same kind of advice I got here. If you read this thread from a non-regular poster, you'll see the same exact suggestions from many people who responded to me: Bark Stop, calling animal control, calling cops, and most agree that having an outside only dog is cruel and pointless to even get a dog if you're going to ignore it all day. Calling animal control seems to be the #1 suggestion in that thread. They exist to aid in situations like this when speaking directly to the owner doesn't yield results. Would you not call the cops when your house was robbed for fear of the perpetrator going to jail? Sounds absurd, doesn't it?

Neighbor's Barking Dog

Old 01-12-2011, 06:35 PM

553 posts, read 1,633,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
others in this thread have suggested a fog-horn, or whatever the heck they're called. That's a silly suggestion, isn't it?
I don't think people were suggesting the air horn to to make the dog stop barking, but to give the neighbors a taste of what it's like to listen to an obnoxious noise.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmomof2 View Post
I don't think people were suggesting the air horn to to make the dog stop barking, but to give the neighbors a taste of what it's like to listen to an obnoxious noise.
I know, but it would still affect the dog (all of the dogs!) negatively. Starting a neighbor-war is never the best course of action.

I knew a couple who had the same issue with their neighbors. Oddly enough, they lived in California ()...their neighbor had a very yappy dog. Their solution was to poison it. But they loved their own dog, that's for sure.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:58 PM

553 posts, read 1,633,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
I know, but it would still affect the dog (all of the dogs!) negatively. Starting a neighbor-war is never the best course of action.

I knew a couple who had the same issue with their neighbors. Oddly enough, they lived in California ()...their neighbor had a very yappy dog. Their solution was to poison it. But they loved their own dog, that's for sure.
Yikes. How awful to poison a dog. Our neigbor thinks it's ok to let his dog bark for an hour at a time, at 5:30 a.m. and any other time of day. The dog runs back in his woods, to the corner of our yard and just yaps his head off. DH and I are usually very reasonable people, and we both asked very politely if they could bring the dog inside when he barks. The neighbor was an @ss about it. The "war" was started when I rang the bell and politely asked if they could bring the dog in when he starts to bark.
So if the HOA doesn't resolve the issue, we're actually considering blowing an air horn late at night or early in the morning. It's a last resort. In our situation, the dog wouldn't be outside at the time. We don't want to punish other neighbors, but something's gotta give. I would never hurt an animal, but I find myself plotting ways to create loud noises to get back at them! Maybe this summer I will host some parties for my brother and his college friends :-)

Old 01-12-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmomof2 View Post
I would never hurt an animal, but I find myself plotting ways to create loud noises to get back at them! Maybe this summer I will host some parties for my brother and his college friends :-)
Now, the summer party is a completely innocent way to get the point across. Plus, we know how sedate young college kids are! In fact, you can even have a rock band, a mariachi band, whatever. I'm certain they will be great parties - smack dab in the middle of the week!

PS: If the neighbors want to be ----heads, game on ~

Old 01-13-2011, 01:55 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Calling animal control seems to be the #1 suggestion in that thread. They exist to aid in situations like this when speaking directly to the owner doesn't yield results. Would you not call the cops when your house was robbed for fear of the perpetrator going to jail? Sounds absurd, doesn't it?
What are you talking about? That makes no sense? Oh forgive me, I guess you meant burglary as robbery is a theft from a person and a house is not a person so the property can't be robbed only burgled. I'll let that mistake go by.

My point was simple to say that before contacting animal control or law eneforcmeent where the action could be directed at the dog and not the owners, understand the consequences. If you don;t care about the consequences to the dog, do what you have to do. No big deal. That's the point I was addressing but it seemed your bent out of shape because someone dared to disagree with you. This is not about YOU, so chill already. Just because someone doen;t agree with you doen;t mean they are right or wrong, just like everything you say isn;t right neither. Opinions are what makes people think and learn. Following the Pied Piper because its popular leads us to drown in the water.

I still stand by my position that if the target of your hate is the owner, go after the owner, but to suggest that sticking a needle in a dogs for being a dog as a second step to get even with the owner is down right uncivilized. You don;t have to agree, but that's MY feeling and what you think of it, or how many followers you get means nothing to me or changes that feeling.

By the way, how's that ignore thing you boasted about going?

Old 01-14-2011, 01:21 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,586,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
She kept him in last night, but he's back out right now since it appears she went out and they don't leave him in the house when they're not home from what we can tell. Hey, as long as it's not yapping at 11pm, it's all good!
That's good news! Hopefully they'll start keeping the dog inside at night now .

It seems like this thread has escalated into an unnecessary "battle"...let's just keep in mind that the OP has done the reasonable and neighborly thing by talking to her neighbors about it instead of resorting to air horns and calling animal control here, there's no need to get all riled up about things which haven't even happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs