Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2011, 09:50 AM

972 posts, read 2,444,176 times

Advertisements

I had forgotten how much dog babies are like human babies. Now my puppy is trying to avoid naps, just like a four year old. If she doesn't nap, then she crashes HARD at 8 pm and is up way to early for us.

She naps very well when the kids are at school and I am sitting in my office for a few hours straight. But, if I leave the room, she is up and following me within minutes. If the kids are home, even if they are outside, she is so reved up, she refuses to even lay down.

If you hold her, she'll nap everytime. Right now, I am wishing for a baby swing for dogs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 10:29 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,921,342 times
Why not allow the pup to go outside and play with the kids? Seems pretty normal to me that a dog would want to be where all the action is. She wants to play too. I've never tried to force my dog to nap. It's a dog not a child. As for following you when you leave the room, most dogs will do that, they want to be where ever you are. If you want her to sleep at certain times of the day, then you are going to have to do some exercising with her to make her tired.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:59 AM

972 posts, read 2,444,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpaw View Post
Why not allow the pup to go outside and play with the kids? Seems pretty normal to me that a dog would want to be where all the action is. She wants to play too. I've never tried to force my dog to nap. It's a dog not a child. As for following you when you leave the room, most dogs will do that, they want to be where ever you are. If you want her to sleep at certain times of the day, then you are going to have to do some exercising with her to make her tired.
Why do you assume she doesn't get to go play with the kids? If they are doing something that is safe for her to be around, then she is right with them. When they are riding bikes, then no way will I let her go run along side them. As far as your other assumptions, well she doesn't stop moving most days. There are many kids in and out on non-school days, cats and other dogs to play with, leaves to chase. etc. We also do go on several walks each day.

As far as her not napping, it is becoming an issue only for the fact that her schedule is off by a few hours to our family routine. No big deal.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:17 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,921,342 times
I didn't assume she doesn't get to play with the kids, you said she won't lay down when the kids are out playing. I did assume that you meant they were outside in the yard playing. You didn't say anything about them going out and riding their bikes. Trying to make a puppy take a nap like you would a child is just a little unrealistic to me especially when there is a lot going on.

As far as my other assumptions......I'm not sure what your referring to. I don't know how old this pup is. Most very young pups will sleep more then they are awake, an older pup will start to want to be up and active most of the day.

You also said that she crashes at about 8 and then gets up to early for you. I would suggest some exercise before going to bed.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:29 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Puppies are unlike babies in one way: Puppies need to expend energy. Lots of it!

If you want your puppy to take a nap at a certain time of day, give your puppy a vigorous play workout and she'll nap immediately afterwards!

My neighbor drops his puppy off at my house to visit my dogs for a few hours. His puppy sleeps the entire next day after visiting with us!

With puppies, it's all about expending energy!

Old 01-16-2011, 11:08 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Puppies are unlike babies in one way: Puppies need to expend energy. Lots of it!

If you want your puppy to take a nap at a certain time of day, give your puppy a vigorous play workout and she'll nap immediately afterwards!

My neighbor drops his puppy off at my house to visit my dogs for a few hours. His puppy sleeps the entire next day after visiting with us!

With puppies, it's all about expending energy!
Indeed it is! (mine shredded his bed last night because he hadn't expended enough during the day)

Old 01-16-2011, 11:10 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpaw View Post
I've never tried to force my dog to nap. It's a dog not a child.
Hah! I've never tried to force a child to nap, either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs