Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 06:06 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,857 times

Advertisements

I am happy for ceramic tile in times like this. He has only messed on those surfaces (so clean up is not too bad). Still ave. one accident a day. He is either training us and we are just dense or he doesn't care. I do take him out and he does pee and poop when we do go out.

1) So I was wondering from the veterans of pets how to deal with separation anxiety. I have a bunch of toys including a Kong with stuff filled in it. I am nervous about leaving him tomorrow. He will still be crated until he and I reach an accord on the potty schedule. He doesn't chew anything (he was licking the dinette set but I sprayed it with bitter apple - along with most of the other furniture). Should I have a radio or television on while we are away for 'company' ?

I am checking this thread before I go to sleep. I will do or buy anything so he doesn't freak out on us. The great thing is that my parents were around to keep him company in his transition to this new home. I have spoiled him with affection and toys. I just don't know how he will cope with all of this.

2) I was going to take him for a long walk when I get home and have quality time together. Then, I was planning to play with him with some of his favorite toys like the stuffed squirrel and bouncy ball with 2 pieces of rope on either end.

Any other recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 07:04 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,813,869 times
Have you witnessed him having separation anxiety or do you just want to avoid it? I would say crate him and give him some chew toys to occupy himself. Then when you come home check him to see if it looks like he was hurting himself trying to get out of the crate...usually they will get rub marks on their noses if this is the case. They may also rip up their bedding. But if he seems happy then I wouldn't worrry about it. If you are already having separation problems you can ask your vet for medications that will help him with it. Or if all else fails adopt a friend for him from a rescue...two dogs are always better than one!

Old 11-04-2007, 07:24 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,263,520 times
I always leave either the TV or stereo on for my dogs. It does help them keep company. Soft jazz is supposed to have a calming effect so I just turn the TV to the digital music channels and leave it on there.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:55 AM

I am just trying to avoid separation anxiety. Thanks for the tips.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:28 AM

570 posts, read 1,820,030 times
I agree with the first two comments. My first dog use to bark like crazy when I would leave for work and I thought it would calm down as he got older, but it didn't. I had to break down and adopt another puppy for him so he would have company and it worked. He still barks from time to time, he's a Pomeranian and yapping is in his nature but it isn't as bad as it use to be. I also leave the radio on for them and I feed them right when I'm getting ready to leave so they will be eating and won't pay attention to me leaving out the door. I also leave plenty of toys out for them as well.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:03 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
Maybe you could carry a piece of his blanket with you so you would have his smell close by and wouldn't miss him so much! Thought you might have received enough tips for the pup and maybe you were having the separation anxiety!

Old 11-05-2007, 11:09 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,953,253 times
Default separation anxiety

I always leave the radio on for my kitties....I found talk radio helps. Plus it sounds like there's someone in the house. jazz would too. my friend used to leave the tv on for her Jack Russells Cartoon Network...tried Animal Planet and the snakes/gators/sharks bothered them...or so she said!

Old 11-05-2007, 11:32 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,448,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
I don't think you'll have any problems. It sounds like he's getting plenty of attention and reassurance.

There might be a bit of separation anxiety initially, but that's normal and should setle back down again once he realizes you always come back for him .

I'm also one to make my "good-byes" no big deal. I just give a quick "okay, I'll be back in a little while, everyone be good, I'll see you later" as I head out the door. When I return, I excitedly say "Hi!" to everyone by name .

The response I get almost always matches my own energy.......when I leave, they're basically like "okay, see ya' later, whatever" and when I come home, I get a huge greeting- even if I've only stepped out for a hour .

Now that being said, I do have one dog who had some real separation issues years back. Her early years were upset with some illnesses/surgery (mange, spaying, leg surgery....), so her first 2 years or so were a bit unusual and I think that played a role. Anyway, our solution was to have her start sleeping in our bed. It's an unusual solution, and I don't know if it would work for anyone else, but it worked for her (helped her nightmares too ).

Hopefully, Snowy will follow your lead and realize it's no big deal when you leave the house.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:36 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,448,792 times
Oh, and I know it's popular to leave on radio/tv and it might work for some dogs.

I haven't gone that route because:

1) I'm a little paranoid about fire and hate to leave anything "on" in the house if I can help it.

2) I hope that while I'm out they all get some good, deep rest and I feel that radio/tv - or even a bright light if it's nighttime - could affect their rest/REM.

But for some it may do the trick, so it's a good option to keep in your back pocket just in case.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Maybe you could carry a piece of his blanket with you so you would have his smell close by and wouldn't miss him so much! Thought you might have received enough tips for the pup and maybe you were having the separation anxiety!
That was funny. I have a picture of him as my cell phone wallpaper. He is a cutie pie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs