Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should this dog be put down?
Yes 32 91.43%
No 3 8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 01:26 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,756,315 times

Advertisements

Back in 1998, my family adopted a pair of full-grown twin Dalmatians. They had obviously been raised as outdoor dogs beforehand since they were hyperactive and impossible to train, so we built them an outdoor shelter near the house. In 2009, they both developed hip dysplasia, and became bony and emaciated in spite of being fed adequately. One of them died that Christmas.

Immediately afterward, my mother brought the surviving dog indoors, and it's had problems with incontinence. The dog would often urinate and defecate in its sleep, or as it tried to walk. The condition of the house began to deteriorate, with a persistent stench in the air, and carpets needing to be cleaned on a near-daily basis. My mother goes through a pack of diapers and a spool of masking tape per week in order to alleviate the mess.

Since the beginning of this year, the dog no longer even tries to walk. It simply lays on a makeshift bed in the living room and whimpers when it needs attention. If it whimpers after having been given the attention it needs, my mother loses patience with it. The dog literally cannot help itself at this point, and I'd argue that it's been living in misery for at least a year and a half now.

For about the last four to six months, my father, sister and I have argued that the dog is miserable and ought to be put under, but my mother doesn't want to hear it, so it stays and lays there, and she yells at it whenever she's frustrated with it. (This occurs on a daily basis.) I've asked about a dozen other people in the last few days if this dog should be put down, and everybody has said yes, including a firefighter who works with Dalmatians daily.

So now I'm asking dog owners specifically: should this dog be put down? Your feedback is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 01:33 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,044,161 times
The dog is at least 13 years old, doesn't even try to walk, and just lays in a bed and whimpers?

Oh my gosh, this sounds horrible. As much as I hate to say it, yes, I think it's time to put the poor pup down.

ETA: Has the dog been to the vet recently? What's their opinion?

Old 04-06-2011, 01:38 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,986 times
If the dog is in pain and cannot be medically treated, yes I would put it down. It seems almost cruel to keep it alive in the condition it is in if you can't help it (sounds like it's in pain to me, but a vet can confirm that). Maybe your dad can help it if your mom won't. I actually now feel horrible for this poor dog

Old 04-06-2011, 01:43 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,195,080 times
Oh, what a tough decision.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:48 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,592,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flkingfan View Post
If the dog is in pain and cannot be medically treated, yes I would put it down. It seems almost cruel to keep it alive in the condition it is in if you can't help it (sounds like it's in pain to me, but a vet can confirm that). Maybe your dad can help it if your mom won't. I actually now feel horrible for this poor dog

I agree if nothing can be done medically the kindest thing is to put the dog down. People seem to view death as such a bad thing but it is just a part of life just as birth is and some times we need to respect that a life worth living has come to an end and ensure a peaceful death. Tell your mom that the last act of kindness or love she can offer the dog is putting it down so it has a peaceful death that ends any suffering. The dog will not hate her for it and she has no reason to feel guilty as it is time and she will be doing a good thing not a bad thing. I had to make that decision for two dogs in the past 1.5 yrs and while not easy I know in my heart that it was the right thing to do and am at peace with it. Good luck.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:04 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,756,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
ETA: Has the dog been to the vet recently? What's their opinion?
I know that it's been a while, and certainly not since it stopped walking.

Somehow I don't think that it's in much pain because it has no feeling in its hind legs, but that's exactly the problem. If it can't even walk, let alone control its bladder or bowels, and if it won't even try, then it's essentially become a vegetable, which seems just as bad as being in constant pain.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:08 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,126,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Somehow I don't think that it's in much pain because it has no feeling in its hind legs, but that's exactly the problem. If it can't even walk, let alone control its bladder or bowels, and if it won't even try, then it's essentially become a vegetable, which seems just as bad as being in constant pain.
According to these symptoms...yes.
Tough decision to make Gnutella but a needed one for the pup.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:17 PM

553 posts, read 1,633,266 times
The decision to put down a beloved pet is always difficult. It doesn't sound like your mother's dog has any quality of life. It's horrifying to think the dog could be in pain because it hasn't been to the vet since he or she stopped walking. Some dogs are excellent at hiding their pain.

I commend you for trying to step in and do what you can for the dog. Please at least take the dog to the vet and get a vet's opinion.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:10 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,565,307 times
Yes it needs to be put down and while you are at it, your mom needs to be checked out. Soemthing is not right with her sorry to say.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:26 PM

363 posts, read 583,411 times
What quality of life does this dog have? What quality of life does your mother have, not to mention the rest of the family who are watching this dog suffer?

The kindest thing your mother can do at this point is to help this beloved dog over the Rainbow Bridge where it can run, pain-free with its' twin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs