Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 07:26 PM

288 posts, read 692,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
IDK, I see the possibility that this will be good for dogs b/c those who wish to engage in dog fighting will be able to do so virtually rather than in reality, and such persons may find the virtual game as satisfying as the real thing, which might actually reduce [real] dogfighting.
It may not be PC but if it reduces real dogfighting, then I think it's a great idea.
StarlaJane, you raise a very good point indeed. I guess my concern was, what if you have someone that starts off playing this 'app' then they want a taste of the real thing. It kind of worries me in general all of these violent games, there are so many stories of people comitting actual violent acts after watching violent video games or films.

It's becoming a sad world that such violence is deemed 'entertainment'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 10:08 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,696,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleys Mum View Post
StarlaJane, you raise a very good point indeed. I guess my concern was, what if you have someone that starts off playing this 'app' then they want a taste of the real thing. It kind of worries me in general all of these violent games, there are so many stories of people comitting actual violent acts after watching violent video games or films.

It's becoming a sad world that such violence is deemed 'entertainment'
What violent acts and after watching which films or playing which games? Did any of the violent perps actually cite a game or film as their reason for committing a crime? As what gave them the idea for and what actually caused them to commit a crime? I know that argument is used in a lot of court cases but I had thought that most agreed that it is ridiculous to blame someone's violent behavior on music, films, games or the like because there is usually a pre-existing propensity for violent behavior. Furthermore, I do not know of any animal abuser (or rapist for that matter) who cited a game as their inspiration; most people, sadly, don't need a game to compel them to commit acts of violence--if only it were that simple...

Moreover, most people are encouraged to fight dogs by actually seeing a [staged] dog fight. And, if they really wanted that, they could very easily choose that instead of a virtual game.

I would be very surprised to see such a game cause an increase in dogfighting incidences. Furthermore, I think that such games are more of an outlet for aggression and/or aggressive tendencies (which can be very healthy) than catalysts or instigators of violent acts.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:58 PM

387 posts, read 607,863 times
I'm notifying PETA. I know about the criticisms and that they'd sue you over the killing of a housefly practically, but if Google wants over the top, they'll get over the top.

Edit: Forget it, they make contactiung them needlessly complex, but can someone else do it? Thanks,

Old 04-23-2011, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Did a little research on this...have found a website where you can contact the Android marketing team. You need to type in the name of the game and the developer:

Contact Us - Android Market Help

Application Name: Dog Wars
Developer: Kage Games LLC
thanks for posting this LibraGirl , I have registered my complaint.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:45 AM

Quote:
What violent acts and after watching which films or playing which games? Did any of the violent perps actually cite a game or film as their reason for committing a crime? As what gave them the idea for and what actually caused them to commit a crime? I know that argument is used in a lot of court cases but I had thought that most agreed that it is ridiculous to blame someone's violent behavior on music, films, games or the like because there is usually a pre-existing propensity for violent behavior. Furthermore, I do not know of any animal abuser (or rapist for that matter) who cited a game as their inspiration; most people, sadly, don't need a game to compel them to commit acts of violence--if only it were that simple...

Moreover, most people are encouraged to fight dogs by actually seeing a [staged] dog fight. And, if they really wanted that, they could very easily choose that instead of a virtual game.

I would be very surprised to see such a game cause an increase in dogfighting incidences. Furthermore, I think that such games are more of an outlet for aggression and/or aggressive tendencies (which can be very healthy) than catalysts or instigators of violent acts.
You are entitled to your opinion, which I respect, but I totally disagree, it is almost like you are trying to defend this!!!???

I have lost count of the number of stories that I have read about people who have committed acts after getting 'ideas' from watching videos and films etc. Yes these people obviously have an innate predisposition, but this violent 'entertainment' certinainly doesn't help the matter:

Teen Accused of Strangling Girlfriend After Watching 'Natural Born Killers' - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

GTA IV: Grand Theft Auto withdrawn in Thailand after copycat killing

I refuse to get into a heated debate and digress into violence in general. At the end of the day, I posted this thread to raise awareness as there are a LOT of dog lovers on here, especially pitbull advocates, that would oppose to this sick 'app'.

Old 04-23-2011, 04:04 AM

389 posts, read 586,791 times
Downloaded and installed.

Thanks!

Old 04-23-2011, 05:33 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconiator View Post
I'm notifying PETA. I know about the criticisms and that they'd sue you over the killing of a housefly practically, but if Google wants over the top, they'll get over the top.

Edit: Forget it, they make contactiung them needlessly complex, but can someone else do it? Thanks,
PETA stirs up so much hatred, I think their involvement in issues does more harm than good. I think they give people who care about animals a bad name. And God forbid they come out in support of a good law. Some people will reject the idea just because of them.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:31 AM

5,013 posts, read 10,696,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleys Mum View Post
You are entitled to your opinion, which I respect, but I totally disagree, it is almost like you are trying to defend this!!!???

I have lost count of the number of stories that I have read about people who have committed acts after getting 'ideas' from watching videos and films etc. Yes these people obviously have an innate predisposition, but this violent 'entertainment' certinainly doesn't help the matter:

Teen Accused of Strangling Girlfriend After Watching 'Natural Born Killers' - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

GTA IV: Grand Theft Auto withdrawn in Thailand after copycat killing

I refuse to get into a heated debate and digress into violence in general. At the end of the day, I posted this thread to raise awareness as there are a LOT of dog lovers on here, especially pitbull advocates, that would oppose to this sick 'app'.
It's not that I am trying to defend anything or am interested in a heated debate for the sake of debate; I just don't agree that this game is going to increase dogfighting or violence towards animals.

Moreover, if you don't want to get into a heated debate, then don't. However, just b/c someone doesn't agree with your opinion about this game doesn't mean that he/she isn't a dog lover. You can't expect to post a statement like that and not get into a debate about it.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:12 PM

If anyone would like to sign a petition against this, it has been created by a Stubby Dog Rescue here:

http://www.change.org/petitions/tell-android-to-block-dog-fighting-app

StarlaJane, I hope you are right, I really do .

At no point did I ever accuse you of not being an animal lover, as I had said earlier, you have your opinion, which I respect, but I don't agree with it.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:50 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
IDK, I see the possibility that this will be good for dogs b/c those who wish to engage in dog fighting will be able to do so virtually rather than in reality, and such persons may find the virtual game as satisfying as the real thing, which might actually reduce [real] dogfighting.

It may not be PC but if it reduces real dogfighting, then I think it's a great idea.
That suggestion is akin to saying that if there were an Android application out there that allowed men to "virtually" rape women that it would be acceptable if one less woman was raped.

Marley's Mum, thanks for the link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs