Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 12:52 PM

417 posts, read 1,068,314 times

Advertisements

So it was a beautiful weekend here..sunny and almost 80 so we decided to take Sydney on a nice long walk around the park. We have started going to the dog park less and less because it seems our dog park is slowly being overrun by parents who bring small children in and allow them to run and scream with the dogs as well as people who bring their little yappy, misbehaved dogs in the big dog area. Well there was a bit of an incident the last time we were there where Sydney put one of the yappers in its place...no biting..just pinned him down and snarled a bit so we have decided to stop bringing him unless its off hours and not overly crowded.

So a walk around the park was our next best bet on this beautiful day. When we got home though, we found a total of 8 ticks on Sydney. We removed them all immediately (and none really had the time to burrow...we were able to remove them all with tweezers and got all the heads) but we have never had an issue with ticks before...he is on Frontline Plus and gets it each month since we got him and we haven't had a single issue with ticks until this past weekend. Does anyone know a better tick preventative? Any tips/advice? The paths around the park are almost all paved although they do go through the woods and along the water..so it wasn't like he was running through tall grass or anything. Since the dog park isn't what it used to be, this park is the only area around us to really tire him out since its so large but to pick up that many ticks seems a bit excessive. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 01:10 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
do you bathe your dog 3 or 4 day either before of after the application? This can affect the efficacy.
In N.C. we have had a lot of ticks in our yard but mostly on us and not the dog.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:36 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Texas Coast: Lots of brown dog ticks, some lone star ticks, some American dog ticks. There are deer ticks here as well but I have never seen one in person.

Frontline products work fairly well but I still find live, engorged ticks that slip through the cracks from time to time. It seems that Frontline is becoming less and less effective over time. I think the ticks are adapting to our poisons.

Advantix was completely ineffective against the strains of ticks that my dog is exposed to. He became infested with over 50 ticks about one week after his second treatment (the ticks were not dropping off dead either, they were engorging) and this resulted in an infestation of my home.

The best course that I have arrived at is to treat the dog with a spray-on before going into a likely tick haven. I think the best product is Amazon.com: Bronco Equine Fly Spray 32Oz , Horse, Cattle Care, Aquatic: Sports & Outdoors. Yes, I know it says it is for horses - it is also approved for use on dogs. It's a pyrethrin based insecticide with citronella. As long as I treat my dog before we go out hunting/training/hiking I do not find ticks on him; I think it's more effective than any once-a-month I've ever tried. It also keeps mosquitoes off of his exposed underbelly. It will matte his hair over time so you may need to bathe the dog more frequently.

More labor intensive, but a <$20 worth of Bronco works better than the >$50 Frontline for the same period of time. It's available at Petsmart, online or wherever, but I find that the best price is usually at Tractor Supply.

EDIT: I forgot to tip my hat to TexasHorseLady, who first guided me to the Bronco Fly Spray. That lady certainly knows her stuff and anyone would be wise to listen when she speaks (or types).

Old 04-25-2011, 03:01 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
do you bathe your dog 3 or 4 day either before of after the application? This can affect the efficacy.
In N.C. we have had a lot of ticks in our yard but mostly on us and not the dog.
My dog just came back from NC.

The other three dogs that were on the trip were full of ticks, one had to go to the vet.

Rip had no ticks.

He is on Revelation.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:15 PM

99 posts, read 531,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
The best course that I have arrived at is to treat the dog with a spray-on before going into a likely tick haven. I think the best product is Amazon.com: Bronco Equine Fly Spray 32Oz , Horse, Cattle Care, Aquatic: Sports & Outdoors.

I've used Bronco on my horses, my dogs, and myself, for quite a few years. It was the first product I ever bought (because it was the cheapest) and it will be the last (because it works.) But if you are in an area with heartworm, I recommend Revolution.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:27 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,052,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowtown2snowdog View Post
I've used Bronco on my horses, my dogs, and myself, for quite a few years. It was the first product I ever bought (because it was the cheapest) and it will be the last (because it works.) But if you are in an area with heartworm, I recommend Revolution.

The label for Bronco says its hazards to humans and domestic animals so I don't think it's OK to use on you or your dogs.

busta

Old 04-25-2011, 06:44 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Has anyone tried the Preventic Tick collar? Lucy is coming home from our walks with ticks on her. Ringo is not and I can't figure out why; he takes Comfortis for fleas and a heartwork preventative ~ but no tick preventative.

Anyhoo, Lucy takes Sentinel but nothing for ticks. Cause she is little and has the liver issues; I'm afraid to be trying new things on her. She is doing so well on what she's on.

Her vet gave us the Preventic collar and said just put it on when we are walking and take it off when we get home.

Thoughts??

Old 04-25-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Has anyone tried the Preventic Tick collar? Lucy is coming home from our walks with ticks on her. Ringo is not and I can't figure out why; he takes Comfortis for fleas and a heartwork preventative ~ but no tick preventative.
Revolution gets is all. Fleas, ticks, heartworm, intestinal worms, and earmites. Be careful how many different products you use one your dog, you don't want to OD or cause a reaction.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
The label for Bronco says its hazards to humans and domestic animals so I don't think it's OK to use on you or your dogs.

busta
I would assume thats because it hasn't been tested on humans on dogs. Doesn't mean its not safe. Haven't died yet. I wouldn't recommend drinking it though...

Old 04-26-2011, 05:50 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post

busta
Bronco is most definitely approved for use on dogs. While I haven't used it on myself, I do recall washing my hair with pyrethrin/piperyl butoxide shampoo and getting pyrethrin "dips" during my kindergarten head lice epidemic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs