Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 08:55 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,920,693 times

Advertisements

You did the right thing!
PS...Your neice seems to have some aggression issues. I'd mention it to your mom so she can keep tabs on her behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 09:07 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
I think you did the right thing. Your sister was wrong. My kids were all taught from young ages to respect animals, don't bother animals, and how to appropriately treat the dog and cat. If they did not do that, they went into immediate time out.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:15 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
UPDATE: Well I kicked my sister out. I did the whole baby monitor thing you guys suggested (we have the video one for when the baby gets here) I set it up without anyone noticing and went in the bathroom and locked the door. I sat there and watched for about 10 minutes and low and behold Olivia walk up (RIGHT IN FRONT OF HER MOM) and grabbed her by her ears and pulled her to her for a "kiss" when Queen jerked away Olivia smacked my dog!!!!!! Omg I ran out there so fast and told my sister you have to make other arrangements. She got very upset and used the whole "your gonna pick an animal over humans" and I calmly told her Im not choosing anyone but im avoiding a nasty situation of when Queen gets fed up and bites Olivia. She didnt say anything else got their stuff together and went to stay with my mom. Good riddance.
Good for You!!! I have three German Shepherd Dogs and they are very well behaved, they play well with others but....will not put up with abuse, my large male will pivot on his front feet and 95 lbs of dog will hit the abuser at knee level, knocking them off of their feet and, when their eyes focus again he is an inch away from their throat, growling. As of yet, no body has ever tried to hit him twice. Dreifus is a good communicator.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:40 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,851,527 times
One definition of a good dog owner is someone who despite the size, breed, temperament or even training level that a dog can and will act to or react to a difficult situation with little to no warning. They also know that the 'difficult situation' is purely defined by the dog at hand and in no way know to the owner, in others words ~ We owners have only ideas, instinct, and knowledge in our arsonal of keeping pet and people safe. It is in fact the dog who desides to act or react to a situation at hand, we as owners have to try and limit those situations by training the dog and controling the area.
Readers Digest Version.... Bloody Dogs have their own mind!

My GSD/Rotty mix is a great dog, in the house and on leash listens to all commands... yet I know once off leach and outside she has a bullheaded devil take it all temperament and if it runs... chase it! Don't think she will do any harm to anything she chases... she loves the chase. Still, I don't take the chance... she stays on leash or in control in the yard.

The OP, God Bless her, had a horrid situation where in someone came into the area and presented an uncontrolled situation which could have resulted in pup acting or reacting in a harmful way to protect itself.

strange how this situation seems to have made me think more on my own dogs behavior. How much it has changed over the years.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:45 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times
Quote:
UPDATE: Well I kicked my sister out. I did the whole baby monitor thing you guys suggested (we have the video one for when the baby gets here) I set it up without anyone noticing and went in the bathroom and locked the door. I sat there and watched for about 10 minutes and low and behold Olivia walk up (RIGHT IN FRONT OF HER MOM) and grabbed her by her ears and pulled her to her for a "kiss" when Queen jerked away Olivia smacked my dog!!!!!! Omg I ran out there so fast and told my sister you have to make other arrangements. She got very upset and used the whole "your gonna pick an animal over humans" and I calmly told her Im not choosing anyone but im avoiding a nasty situation of when Queen gets fed up and bites Olivia. She didnt say anything else got their stuff together and went to stay with my mom. Good riddance.
I've been reading this thread, the whole time flashing back on raising three kids and we always had a dog. At five they were feeding the dog. Even at three, the most stressful thing one did to a dog was put a feather boa around his neck and sunglasses on his face. Your niece's reaction, to smack the dog, wasn't normal for a child well old enough to have empathy and impulse control, I don't think.

I'm glad you went with your gut and used the cam. You did the right thing in asking them to leave. The sad thing is that your niece's behavior is a real warning sign, IMO. Obviously your sister doesn't see it. But that's just not right to treat an animal that way and it seems to me that doing so must be learned behavior in a five year old.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:00 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I think you did the right thing. Your sister was wrong. My kids were all taught from young ages to respect animals, don't bother animals, and how to appropriately treat the dog and cat. If they did not do that, they went into immediate time out.

heck.... this is how my brother and i were raised over 40 years ago.... our mother had the good sense to teach us that all of God's creatures were worthy of our respect and if we did not practice that (abuse the resident dog or cat).... there would be consequences for the abuser......

Old 08-07-2011, 09:14 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,509 times
Quote:
:::applauding:::

You did the right thing!!!
Imho Queen should have a positive view of humans and children, especially now that your baby is coming. Yes, people and dogs can live together wonderfully.

Most - not all, but most - dog attacks happen when the dog simply cannot take any more mistreating from humans, and yes, many (not all!) children mistreat animals all the time. If a child can understand he/she is not supposed to hit a human, why should it be acceptable to do that to a dog?!

Queen was very patient with your niece. Many dogs are not that patient with this kind of inappropriate, rough interaction and obviously it is always their (the dog's) fault... Your sister should thank you and admire you for being wise enough to make the right decision.

Not that I would have any problems choosing loving, loyal, wonderful dogs over most humans I know, though...

Old 08-07-2011, 01:58 PM

17,391 posts, read 16,532,427 times
Quote:
You did the right thing, OP - for both Queen and Olivia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs