Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 04:42 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,079,286 times

Advertisements

It's annoying...If I try to have a conversation with anyone she keeps barking and barking.

Does anyone have any tips that work? She's over a year old and a lab pointer mix.

Between this and her 'weird behavior' around other dogs, we are already frustrated as we walk her (she's gotten worse the last few days).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 05:59 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,315,008 times
O Boy I feel for you. Katie barks then grumbles till petted!! I got her to stop those behaviors some what by NOT letting folks pet her till she quiet..so now she wines. LOL not sure its much better but at least now sh doesnt make people think shes goning to bite them. So Why does your dog bark? Once you no that answer just work on changing the reason or her reaction. Katie will also bark at big dogs, she does that cause she is scared. I place her beside me on sit stay in that case. I do not encourage the other dog near cause I am disabled not sure I could stop a fight. Dogs her size & smaller shes fine with.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:22 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,888,577 times
Spent the time and the money neccessary to go to a good trainer...

Old 03-25-2009, 07:34 PM

We had her in obedience classes, actually.
I cannot afford 'a good trainer' as I am unemployed.

Currently I try to interrupt the behavior (she also jumps up) by making her sit and giving her a small treat.

This is a dog that has to do the same thing over and over EVERY day or she 'forgets' the behaviors...she can sit nicely and does.

Are there any tips for the person who cannot pay a 'trainer?' She's walked plenty and sees dogs and cats every day.

I think some of it might be 'look at me' behavior (she loves attention) with people. The dog part, yes, she is intimidated by some of them.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:01 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,149,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
We had her in obedience classes, actually.
I cannot afford 'a good trainer' as I am unemployed.

Are there any tips for the person who cannot pay a 'trainer?' She's walked plenty and sees dogs and cats every day.
YUP.

Plenty, plenty of how-to's out there that can lead you - step by step - through positive reinforcement/counter-conditioning exercises.

Don't forget that an obedience class will do nothing to sort out reactivity in a certain setting because one has nothing to do with sorting out the fundamental issues/causes of the other - i.e. you talking to someone else or reactivity while on a lead. Both are easy to re-train and will take no more than a) willingness to put in the time, b) patience to work at the dog's pace, c) some tasty high value treats, d) a bit of homework for you and a willingness on your part to learn. You need to be 100% committed and 100% consistent. Both, fortunately, are free.

On the "forgetting" issue: she hasn't, and it's far from selective hearing. What happens in these situations is that fear or anxiety or inappropriate guarding issues take over all her senses. She's trying very hard to communicate these things to you and she does that at the "expense" of listening.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:58 AM

1,477 posts, read 7,912,334 times
Check out Dog Star Daily: Behavior Problems | Dog Star Daily.
This site is endorsed by Dr. Ian Dunbar, a renowned proponent of positive training techniques. The advice is sound.

Hope this helps....

Old 03-26-2009, 04:28 PM

Thank you all.
I have worked on obedience today and she's doing better. As part lab, I think she is hard wired to bark at a lot of things so I have to deal with some of this.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:32 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,742,020 times
Would a time-out to another room work or would she keep barking?

Old 03-26-2009, 06:51 PM

She rarely barks in the house. It's more on walks if she sees kids playing or other dogs.
She's not being vicious...she's being 'friendly' and wants attention from the people. She will sit or wag her tail in a happy manner...

Old 03-26-2009, 07:12 PM

315 posts, read 1,092,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Thank you all.
I have worked on obedience today and she's doing better. As part lab, I think she is hard wired to bark at a lot of things so I have to deal with some of this.
you may just have to wait until she matures a little. my little one was a constant barker and she's slowly grown out of it. i also shush her and the minute she gets quiet, she gets loving. i basically think she's just like me, loves to talk, and will talk to anyone about anything! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs