Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 09:44 AM

5,013 posts, read 10,696,212 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience with this brand?

I have a kidney-compromised 10-year-old GSD who needs a kidney-friendly diet. I was feeding her K/D--not the best brand but the formula did help keep her levels out of the danger zone.

However, Hill's keeps changing the formula, which is wreaking havoc with my dog's health. The new dry food caused her to have an allergic reaction, so I stopped feeding her dry, which was fine. But now, they've gone and changed the formula for the canned food and she won't eat it.

I gave her a can of the Royal Canin last night and she loved it--gobbled it right up. However, I am not sure that is necessarily a good thing

Ideally, I wouldn't feed her any commercial food, but I've tried a prepared-at-home diet with mixed results; I also do not have a lot of experience and do not want to unwittingly be feeding her something that is not good for her, especially her kidneys.

Of course, I've consulted with my vet who, while she agrees that the commercial brands do not always contain the best ingredients, usually only recommends them b/c she has had success with them.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 12:48 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
I fed Royal Canin to a cat with CRF. She did very well on it but of course, she was not a dog!

Old 09-07-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I fed Royal Canin to a cat with CRF. She did very well on it but of course, she was not a dog!
That's still helpful, thanks!

Old 09-07-2011, 03:08 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
We switched from Hill's R/D to Royal Canin light or whatever it was called. Our old girl loved it, and scarfed it right up. We went through a couple of bags and everything was fine. Then all of the sudden, they changed the formula or something and she began having an allergic reaction to it and we had to switch her back.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:52 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
We switched from Hill's R/D to Royal Canin light or whatever it was called. Our old girl loved it, and scarfed it right up. We went through a couple of bags and everything was fine. Then all of the sudden, they changed the formula or something and she began having an allergic reaction to it and we had to switch her back.
I have a chihuahua who cannot eat any kind or brand of dog food without having an allergic reaction and Im tired of the vet charging me everytime I go . This one very nice vet told me to feed him boiled chicken and brown rice and it has worked ever since and I also throw some boiled carrots and green beans in the mix and so far so good and this is been a yr now and we are well and good and he maintains his weight and his coat is beautiful .

Old 09-07-2011, 06:12 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
A lot of my yorkie friends feed Royal Canine. Though it's not a '4 star' food (for what that's worth); a lot of little picky- eater dogs seem to thrive on it!

Old 09-07-2011, 06:43 PM

718 posts, read 2,079,662 times
One of the most expensive foods you can buy....but, if that is what you go by, fine. Read the ingredients and find out what your vet would want your dog to eat given the condition.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:48 PM

417 posts, read 816,654 times
Again, not a dog owner but on Sunday I posted a new thread in the Cat forum about how much my cats love Royal Canin. They stopped liking their former brand, so I tried Royal Canin and they love it. One of them even likes it better than their wet food.

I got some static from a poster who said that if I was going to pay that much for cat food then I should buy something with more meat in it and that dry food was bad for cats. Oh well. All I know is that my cats love it.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopycat View Post
Again, not a dog owner but on Sunday I posted a new thread in the Cat forum about how much my cats love Royal Canin. They stopped liking their former brand, so I tried Royal Canin and they love it. One of them even likes it better than their wet food.

I got some static from a poster who said that if I was going to pay that much for cat food then I should buy something with more meat in it and that dry food was bad for cats. Oh well. All I know is that my cats love it.
To each his own. I guess I agree with what that poster said but, in the end, it's your money, and if your cats like the brand and do well on it, then I don't see a problem.

I would normally mind paying this much for food but when it is food that actually treats or helps a medical condition--and such formulas are not commonplace--then I don't mind paying for it, especially if it means that my dog is maintaining her weight and general good health.

I considered boiled chicken and rice with some vegetables but my dog is very picky about which kind of human food she will eat; she simply won't eat brown rice or green beans, carrots or peas. She loves her yams, so I supplement her diet with those. But otherwise, I just end up spending a lot of time making food that she doesn't eat.

So, if I can find a brand--even a really expensive one--that she eats without a problem and that treats her condition, then okay. I just hope they don't decide to change the formula after I have gone to the trouble of transitioning her

And thanks to all for your responses. I had never heard of this brand before, so the comments and advice are really helpful

Old 09-07-2011, 10:32 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
We have two GSD's full grown and one GSD Pup, and,...exactly one "Genuine Rescue Mutt Puppy".on Sept 14 the pup will be 3 months old, now, the pup is skinny, growing like a weed, and weighs 42 lbs. Our adult male GSD is a muscular 95 lbs and 11 years old, still runs, chases balls and frisbees, quite active, playful and very protective of anything that lives on our property (except raccoons, he killed five last summer as they tried, in vain, to make it to the woods from our garden) All we have ever fed any of our dogs is the "Southern States" house brand of dog food, "Complete" by name, yeah....and table scraps. Our new GSD Puppy, a Brindle colored pup and Jorja, Daughter of Dreifus the large male are all on the same diet and you would be hard pressed to find healthier animals. OH...I also hunt, and the dogs get various Deer Parts while the season is in and whole skeletons slowly dissolve away before the beginning of spring. Our pup will have a nice treat come November.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs