Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2011, 12:16 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times

Advertisements

In Spring I went ahead & had Katie Microchipped. Since then shes been Limping & in Pain Off & On All summer. Now for the past 2-3 week it been All the time.
Has your dog had this problem?
Did you get it removed?
How was it taken out?
Any advice would be helpful....never microchiped a dog before!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 06:21 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,419,517 times
I never heard of this but microchips can migrate out of the place where they were implanted. Usually they slip down to the chest but I suppose one could slip to the shoulder somewhere where it irritated a muscle
It should take some time to move though, I wouldn't think it would happen right after they placed it.
The vet could scan her to see where the chip is. Can you feel it under her skin somewhere? It feels like a grain of rice.
Anyway, if she's limping this long she really does need to see the vet. I hope it turns out to be something easily fixable.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:47 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,419,499 times
I wouldnt think there's a connection between the microchipping and her limping, the chip w/b between the shoulders but like s2c suggested, take her to the vet to see if the chip is in fact where it's supposed to be. Mine are all chipped and while they're small shorthaired dogs, no way could I feel where it is.

Do you know if the breeder had her parents tested before they were bred? Luxating patella wouldnt be unusual for Katie to have as a young toy dog, there also c/b Legg-Perthes disease or hip dysplasia - actually anything - would keep her from jumping on/off furniture and would definitely limit any stairs and keep her trim, maybe get her on a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement - but first take her in and get your vet's opinion (and maybe even another vet for a 2nd opinion), it sounds like something might be going on but I'd be surprised if it's related to the microchipping.

Please keep us updated and best of luck to you both -

Old 09-19-2011, 01:56 PM

LOL Katie not a Toy! Shes a Corgi. Herding Group. Shes been Massages & Adjusted & still limps....except at the vets office GRRRR

Old 09-19-2011, 02:00 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,920,640 times
Has your vet scanned to see if the chip has migrated?

Old 09-19-2011, 02:07 PM

Never gave it a thought. I have to ask But even IF its where it supose to be thats where she reacts when touched.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:31 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,675,099 times
It is possible (remote but has happen) that the chip fractured. Your vet will be able to telyou if you have a fractured chip and they will have to remove it.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:30 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,154,604 times
I tend to think it's just a coincidence (correlation does not equal causation....)

I asked my vet a few years ago about the "migrating" microchip issue. He said that in the early days of microchippping, that did happen although it was very rare. But according to him, once chip manufacturers realised the problem they started manufacturing microchips with scores of tiny perforations in them, so the tissue grew in to the perforations and held them in place.

Has Katie has an ortho workup, including digital x-rays? That's what I would do if she were mine. Don't know how old she is but orthopedic problems often surface with young, still-growing dogs, or with middle-aged and older dogs. Has she done a 2-week period of crate rest to see if that helps with the limping? Muscular issues are often cured by enforcing minimal exercise, because some muscle/tendon pulls can be persistently "re-injured" if the dog is allowed to continue normal activity. Or if she's young it could be pano.

IOW, I would put microchipping way, way low on the list of causes for limping and might only consider it (although I don't see how it could happen, physiologically) once everything else had been definitively ruled out.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:46 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,009,439 times
How old was she when she was chipped?

I had Kizzy chipped on the young side, as we were taking a long road trip, and I didn't want to take any chances. My vet was reluctant (and insisted on waiting to the 11th hour before our trip) because, apparently, until the dog is older, with more muscle-tone, there is more of a chance of migration.

In your case, a simple scan will determine where it is. If it has moved to some place where it is irritating your dog, I'd wager that it would be a simple fix. However, as has been said, this really does seem like more of a coincidence than anything.

The only thing that will tell for sure is a trip to the vet.

Kizzy and I wish you both the best.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:11 PM

She 6 yrs old. I Didnt even want her microchipped ugh But the State/City decide to finally build a bridge/road next to my apt complex. And as friendly as Katie is I figure she Might decide to go visit. When the vet put it in she screamed! Since then when she touched near whe withers/shoulders she cries. This is Not a wimpy dog!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs