Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2011, 11:12 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

Over the last couple of months, our 16 year old lab has had occassional diarrhea. We put him on a ground beef and white rice diet, and the diarrhea goes away. We slowly add the dog food back into his diet, and he does fine for a few weeks. Then he has diarrhea again.

I've read that vets will put geriatric dogs on "gastro diets," but I can't find details about what this diet is exactly. Does anyone know? He is currently on an allergy diet, venison and rice, which has worked well for him for the past seven years or so.

Please don't tell me to take him to the vet. I'm fully aware of the serious diseases associated with diarrhea in elderly dogs. But we have NO INTEREST whatsoever in treating elderly dogs for serious illnesses like cancer or kidney failure. We know it's not parasites too.

At this point in his life, our goals are simply quality of life until it's time to put him to sleep. For the record, he's doing very well, extremely happy, and not at all bothered by his bouts diarrhea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 11:37 AM

268 posts, read 704,005 times
Hopes, most vets will prescribe the Hills Gastrointestinal Health dog food, which you can buy at petsmart but need a prescription for. My senior dog is currently on it and has been for 6 months, and he is doing really well on it. I had to swallow my notions about Hills being crap food ( I believe in feeding raw )because he is old, and this did work, whether or not I am a fan of dog food. Its is pricey, however, it was the only thing I tried that agreed with my old boy's system at this stage of his life, and so I am sticking with it. Good Luck!

Old 11-20-2011, 12:02 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
Have you tried giving him canned pumpkin or probiotics? That might help without changing his food.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:27 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Add Plain Cottage Cheese to his diet! Start with a couple spoon per meal incress or decrees as you see how hes doing. Also When hes having Diareha give him Kopectate Any BUT the Cho Flavor! He could also be having Bouts with Parasites so get a Fecal When hes having Diareah.... Coccidia & Giadia CAN cause the problems your discribing. In Puppies & Older dogs its more pronounce do to age & immune systems!

Old 11-20-2011, 12:28 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
honestly, given how nasty hills (even the persctiption food) is (read the ingredients, corn flakes with meat fat flavoring isnt exactly something id want to be feeding my dog as a main diet) and the fact he does fine on ground beef and rice...id personally just home cook for him at this stage, hes a senior, he may have a few yers or he may have a few months if you dont mind cooking for him and thats what keeps his sytem happy, thats the route i would go.

canned pumpkin (no sugar added only, pure pumpkin NOT pie filling) and a good greek yogurt (or probiotic pill or power might help, but given his age, id just go wiht the beef and rice with a few modifications.
id swtich to brown rice (or whole grain)
id add peas/carrots, and about 1/2 a teaspoon of dried ground eggshell per day (about 800-1000mg of calcium if using a calcium pill)
and either a good doggie multivit or chicken livers and kidneys once a week or so (cooked is fine)
just to balance it out a little...
id also give a good tablespoon a day of a GOOD plain no sugar added yogurt or a probiotics supliment

Old 11-21-2011, 06:22 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Thanks, everyone. If this continues, I'll start cooking his food. I haven't put him on beef and rice yet, and his diarrhea hasn't happened since yesterday's mess. I think he's getting into something outside. We're going to watch him more closely when he's out in the yard with us. I often stop him from eating stuff outside but the rest of my family isn't as attentive. They're all on board now.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:13 AM

268 posts, read 704,005 times
Hopes, youve been given great advice here, all of which, incidently, I tried, and tried again, with my old boy. Hills has been the last resort for me. Hopefully, that wont be true in your case. My dog is especially sensitive, and although I know Hills is garbage, what can I do? it is agreeing with his system at this stage of his life, and its keeping him out of the hospital, and the trauma of more Iv sticks and being sick and seperated from his family. And that is my ultimate goal....to keep him with us as long as I can, feeling as good as he can, and avoiding stress if in my power. So far so good.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs