Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 03:29 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,893,679 times

Advertisements

didee thats what the en is...mostly rice (thats why its so solid and hard)
when i worked at the shelter we had a dog in who ate only that stuff (hills version of the same formular) and it was discusting, we had to mix it with water it was so dry and crumbly he would gorge on water afterwards (bloat risk)
it never looked or smelled appealing either (i love canned food that smels like the thing its supposed to be lol), that sutf kinda smelled like cardboard lol.

that was before i worked as a vet tech and found out its pretty much expesnive fillers lol and we would have gotten the same benefit feeding him boild chicken and rice with a glucosamine and probiotic supliment added lol.

definatly sounds like hes doing much better

simetimes it doesnt matter how they get there...as long a they get there lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 03:39 PM

718 posts, read 2,082,440 times
Is this the first time you have been overcharged for anything in your life? The long and the short of it is that your dog is on the mend. Let's not lose sight of that...your outcome was good. I spent $8500 and my dog died. I would trade places with you in a heartbeat.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:50 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,275,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKK View Post
Is this the first time you have been overcharged for anything in your life? The long and the short of it is that your dog is on the mend. Let's not lose sight of that...your outcome was good. I spent $8500 and my dog died. I would trade places with you in a heartbeat.
Oh, wow. I am so sorry about your dog.

Eight or nine years ago, I spent almost $400.00 trying to keep my son's ferret alive and ending up having to have him put to sleep anyway.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:26 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,985,095 times
Hey, even I've had sticker shock and I've been a vet tech for 10 years! I'm glad your pup is feeling better now.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
Hey, even I've had sticker shock and I've been a vet tech for 10 years!
The rum and eggnog I was drinking last night probably didn't help.

Quote:
I'm glad your pup is feeling better now.
Thank you.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:05 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,271,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
After he ate his morning can of the "EN," I let him "top off" with the Diamond L & R. I watched him to make sure he didn't gorge himself and he didn't - he ate maybe a cup of the dry.

That food is the hardest canned pet food to get out of the can I have ever encountered!! I'm used to stuff that's pretty wet and that you can pretty much shake it out in one big "glop," but this "EN" is very dry and hard to scoop out. I tried letting it sit on the wood stove for a little while, hoping that it would be easier if it were warmed up. Helped a little but not much. LOL
My dog had to eat that stuff once, it was awful. I agree, it was the worst to get out of the can, like wet compressed cardboard.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I agree, it was the worst to get out of the can, like wet compressed cardboard.
LOL This is so true. With water being the first ingredient listed, you would think it would be...well, wetter, wouldn't you?

I had the big idea that maybe I could cut both ends off the can and push it out, but the bottoms of the cans have that kind of rounded rim and doesn't work with the can opener....at least not mine.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:45 PM

16,806 posts, read 40,011,518 times
My vet demands my presence during everything he does to Nanners, including putting her under for whatever procedure calls for that.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:08 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,638,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Also, it was an expensive lesson, but I am going to, from now on, make sure I have some basic supplies on hand - PeptoBismol, electrolytes, and probiotics - so that, hopefully, if something like this comes up, I can nip it in the bud before it becomes necessary for a vet's attention. There is always the possibility, that no matter how quickly I act, the animal may still need the vet, but it may be worth having the stuff on hand.

Actually, it's canned food - Purina Veterinary Diet "EN Gastroenteric." I did check the ingredients and the first five are: water, chicken, rice, liver, and meat by-products.
Okay, the "meat by-product" concerns me. You don't know what kind of meat because they aren't telling you. Could be horse or road kill. We don't know and for a "prescription" food that you are paying good money for, I personally would want to know what kind of meat that is...or is not. IMHO!

I am a label reader and will not feed my dogs anything that has "meat by-product" in the ingredients.

...that's just me...

I'm glad your pup is feeling better and eating better, too!

Last edited by LuvABull.Denver; 01-02-2012 at 04:32 AM..

Old 01-03-2012, 09:18 AM

5 posts, read 5,183 times
Default Overcharged by Vet: What should I do?

I made an appointment for my dog to have his teeth cleaned a few weeks ago. He also had a small growth on his back leg which the vet said we could remove while he was under anesthetic.

When I came to pick my dog up I was shocked to find out the bill was over $700. The reason I was so surprised was that I had his teeth cleaned at the same vet 2 years before and the total bill was just under $250.

While I understand the additional charge for the growth removal ($92,) the difference in price is still staggering. The main other charges were for prescriptions which he didn't receive last time ($140,) the cost of removing teeth went from $7 per tooth (2 last time) to $16 per tooth (4 this time) as well as additional charges which were not present last time.

While I never asked how much this service would cost, I felt that it was appropriate to assume the vet fees would have increased 15-20% over 2 years and that the growth removal would cost around $100. Am I wrong to think that I was grossly overcharged and is there anything I can do since I came in with certain expectations based on the same vet's previous practices?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs