Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 08:29 PM

675 posts, read 1,816,896 times

Advertisements

This morning, when walking my 2 dogs, I found a stray dog. I looked around to see if the owner stands nearby but nobody around. It was 6:30 AM, still dark and cold in East coast.
My dogs played for a while, the stray dog ran around them, they seemed get along. When we were toward home, that dog followed us. Afraid that dog could be get hit by cars if it runs across the street, I carried it on my arms home because there's no collar, no leash. That dog is skinny, dirty but seems friendly.
When we're home, I fed the dogs together and went to work.
At work, my co-worker said that dog must be abandoned by the owner, because there's no ad about lost dog in that area, and the dog has no collar, no leash. I thought it could be true, because I never see that dog before when I walk my dogs outside every day.
What will I do with the dog if nobody claims for lost dog? If I keep the dog, can someone give me a hard time or sue me about taking their dog?
My husband already washed the dog, he said it's a boy, and the dog marks his territory everywhere in our house...
I don't want to post for "Found Dog" around the area because I don't want to give out my home address or phone number to stranger, it's not safe.
Please advise,
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 08:37 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
you just got yourself a new dog!
nobody can sue you for taking in a stray dog especially not one without collar or tags. You might see if a vet will try to read for a microchip.

If you want to find his owner or rehome him you will definitely need to let somebody know your phone number unless someone else has another idea. perhaps e mail?

as far as his peeing all over, I guess that is to be expected in a new house with old dog smells. But of course this can be broken. First you need to decide if you are willing to keep him while you try to find his owner or rehome him.

Good luck. it was good of you to take him home and protect him.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:26 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,231,294 times
You can check the paper and Craigslist in the lost and found section. You can even post found dog in Craigslist, but you don't have to give out your address/phone. Make sure to ask for a description of the dog. You can stay anonymous and CL will contact you if someone is looking for him. If no one responds to your ad, you have no obligation to give him up. He's yours! I would recommend that you take him to a vet and get him up to date w/ vaccinations and checked for heartworm. Males that aren't neutered are more apt to mark their territory. Hope you're able to keep him. It sounds like he's fitting right in w/ your other dogs.

Please update and post a picture of your new addition.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:57 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
There might not have been an ad for a lost dog because the owners haven't had a chance to put one up.

Go back to the neighborhood where you found the dog. Knock on doors. I often "save" dogs when they don't need to be saved.

I actually caught a St Bernard once and loaded it into my car. I immediately set about tracking down the address of the owner via the rabies tags. 4 hours later, I had the address. Guess what? I snatched that dog right from his own front yard! He had gotten out of his fenced back yard via a hole behind some bushes but I didn't know what (the owner didn't either). As I was chasing him around trying to catch him, he ran to his own front yard. I thought I was saving him.

There was another dog once, a beagle. Oh he was so muddy that he looked like he had been homeless forever! He wouldn't come to anyone. He kept running. Turns out he was from a couple streets over. He was all muddy and wet because he likes to roll around in the mud and run through the creeks when he gets loose.

If you can't find the owners, you can most certainly keep the dog. There is no need to worry about people harrassing you, claiming you stole their dog. If the owner comes forward, I'm sure you'd give him back, and they'll be glad you found him.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:14 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Check with the local vets in your area, someone might recognize the dog or know a client searching for one meeting the description of the one you found. They may also be able to scan for the presence of a chip id. You can also place a "found" ad free on petfinder.com.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:11 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
Report to the local animal shelter(s) even if you don't take the dog there. Give them your contact info so they can get a hold of you if someone comes in to the shelter looking for that dog. No collar doesn't necessarily mean a stray. Second the suggestion of getting a vet to scan for a microchip.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:28 AM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,120,985 times
Check the laws in your city/town/state...they do vary. For instance, in some counties of CA, you may not keep a dog you find (legally) without first turning it over to your local animal control. If the dog isn't claimed by it's rightful owner within the specified time, then you may have the dog.

In my city, it's quite different and way too easy for just anyone to keep a dog they find without trying to find the owner. While I never anticipate my dog(s) getting out, while they are all chipped and registered, it's all to easy for someone to "like" them and keep them.

Please take the dog to any vet or animal control facility to be checked for a chip. Most local newspapers allow found/lost ads to be placed free of charge. Simple flyers can be made up and distributed in your area vet offices and pet supply/food stores. While I appreciate your fear of giving your home address, I don't think your fear is justified in giving your cell #. If so, turn the dog over to the local authorities or Humane Society where he'll have a chance at a new home.

I find dogs too and am also involved in rescue. When I find one, I make every effort to find the rightful owner. I'd want someone to do the same for me and my lost pet.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:09 AM

675 posts, read 1,816,896 times
Thanks you all, I really appreciate your help
I talked with my neighbor, he has 3 dogs and walk his dogs out every day, too (his son is a city police), he said the same thing like you above, and he added, some people don't want their dog anymore, they just drop the dog at another neighborhood or far away so nobody can recognize the dog, and the dog can't remember way to come back home either.
I will report with SPCA this morning because last night when I checked on Petfinder and Craigslist I didn't see lost dog ad like mine, but this weekend, I'll take him to the vet to check for his health and microchip if he has one.
I have 2 dogs and I love them to death, so I understand the feeling if someone lost their dog, and I'll be very happy to give him back to the owner, but I will be pissed off if I know the owner dumped his/her dog like this.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:43 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
so glad he found you.......

Old 02-01-2012, 11:46 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,681,265 times
meant to be
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs