Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 8,240 times

Advertisements

My sweet chihuahua boy of 13 had surgery 10 days ago to remove bladder stones and the vet wanted him on A/D canned food. The last several days and nights he has started leaking and large wet spots in the morning after the nights sleep and the last couple of days had started drinking more water then normal ( he drinks a lot already due to his diabetes). I have seen that other pets are on different canned food and they say they are high in salt, does anyone know about A/D salt content? We go to vet tomorrow to remove stitches and will ask vet about the food and leaking. My husband can't deal with anymore accidents as he is retired and takes care of the house and dogs and likes to be able to go out without coming home to clean up pee! Any ideas or suggestions are greatly accepted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 01:45 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,755,535 times
When your hubby goes out, have him use a crate for the Chihuahua, lined with a puppy pee pad. Will take all of 10 seconds to pull a wet pad out and throw it away when he gets home. It will also save your furniture and floors.

Other possibilities are doggy diapers and belly bands. Doggy diapers are fine to use. Belly bands you would have to insert a human sanitary pad into it, folded to the correct size for a tiny dog. You have to also be careful with belly bands as they will hold the urine soaked pad close to the body and the penis can get urine scalds or irritation if the pad is not removed and changed very frequently.

I would use either of these two methods only when you are home. The dog may not tolerate wearing something and may rip it off. Make sure he will leave it in place. This is why I would not use it when you are both gone. Use a crate then.

Unfortunately, this is all part of surgery . What you have to realize is that the large stones have been removed during surgery. However, remaining behind are what we could call sand or grit particles of bladder crystals. These, as they pass or sit in the bladder, can be extremely irritating to the bladder & urethra causing the same type of frequent urination or urine dribbling as would a bladder infection.

Discuss more with your vet.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:31 AM

3 posts, read 61,847 times
We have a 6.5 y/o spayed Pom that had bladder stone surgery 6 wks. ago. she was on bayril for 10 days post surgery for infection and only change was she had diarreah (sp) for 3 or 4 days. within the past 7 days she's had occurrences of peeing on our bed, her bed and in the recliner where she stays w/my husband or sleeps in when he's out. she pees in the floor and when we take her out and as mentioned above, sometimes she will try and squeeze out a few more drops after she's just peed a puddle. Talked to the vet and he put her on something for an overactive bladder which i'm not sure she should be taking. Were any of you able to resolve the incontinence issues your babies were having? Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:53 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,614,334 times
Wow, sorry to hear about your pup. Our min schnauzer was about 3-4 when he had bladder stones. Our vet recommended he have an op to remove stones and do a urethra reroute on him in case he developed more stones, which is likely. We did the reroute and he was fine within a few days.
He lived until he was 13 yrs old. Had to be put down after a reaction to the rabies vaccine. After his surgery the vet suggested the special food. I bought a bag, do wouldnt touch it. I put him back on his regular diet and he was fine. Best of luck. A did have a male acd that had a kidney function problem when he was a pup and would pee a lot and leak. I had to limit the amount of water I gave him and take him out frequently. He grew out of it. Best wishes, I hope it all heals up and sorts itself out soon.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:03 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,515,133 times
This was my original thread and I can tell you that Lucy has never resolved her incontinence issues, unfortunately. She had a second opinion at a large university and their only answer was to increase the PPA to 3 times per day. I did it for a while, but her blood pressure went up.

I have her on the PPA twice a day - which helps somewhat - but she will still wet the bed at night in her sleep AND during the day if she is not let out often enough.

I have a washable pee pad that is very large (actually it's for human use that someone gave me) and she sleeps on that on top of my bed. Her blankets in her crate and elsewhere usually smell like pee. SHE usually smells like pee and I wash her backside 3-4 times per week to keep the smell down.

She loves the prescription food and is still on it. She's not had any more stones.

She's still beautiful and sweet and I still love her. She can't help it that her bladder leaks when she lays down; she can't be 'trained' out of it or whatever like my friends are always encouraging me to do.

It is a lot of work to try and keep her bedding clean and her clean. But it is what it is and I was always in it for the long haul, imperfections and all.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:46 PM

3 posts, read 61,847 times
Thanks to each of you for comments. The Pom is doing a bit better while on the Proin but she finished it Monday so time will tell.
It is so sad to hear the aftermath Lucy is having - oh my, I do hope she will improve.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:07 PM

1 posts, read 6,656 times
my little yorkie mix had bladder surgery 5 days ago and the stones removed were so large I thought the vet was teasing me as they looked like human jaw teeth,
anyway sophie goes out to pee during the day but in late afternoon or at night she goes to sleep and pees and just lays in it, a very large spot. I have couch and bed covered with washable pee pads, at night I have found the best thing is to put her on a pair of toddler training panties with a poise pad in them, that works very well, she did not like disposable diapers, and the little boy shorts fit her bottom really well. I used a strip of elastic penned to the undies and looped through her color as suspenders, this just works so well

Old 02-23-2018, 04:12 PM

5 posts, read 15,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kquirk0505 View Post
Hi I have an 8 year old male schnauzer who had the stone removal surgery about a month ago and has had incontinence problems where it seems like he just cant hold a full bladder. As long as we let him out a million times during the day he doesn't have accidents. I notice the biggest problem to be first thing in the am after sleeping and not going all night......he just couldn't make it to door and would just let loose. He is also on the Royal Canin S/O as well....I have begun putting a diaper type wrap with a pad in it around his abdomen where his privates are and at least if he doesn't make it before it comes off he just goes in the pad.....I feel so bad for him and feel like the surgery ruined him....my heart is breaking for him as he seems even more skittish now than he was....
My cattle dog is almost 3, and had one bladder stone. The vet immediately wanted to do surgery to remove it. No other tests except xrays and a urinalysis (he had been on antibiotics for a uti prior to xrays). She was supposed to do an ultrasound before the surgery to make sure that's what it was, but she didn't. She did that terrible surgery, the whole time acting like it's just a small procedure, and didn't find a stone. Yep. It had dissolved and now she cut him open for no reason at all. And now, 2 weeks later, he wets the bed at night (even though we let him out to pee at least every 4 hours) and we are devastated. Like you, we feel as if this surgery ruined him. Let others be warned... This is a MAJOR surgery, with difficult recovery (we saw half dollar size blood clots and he peed what looked like straight blood for over 7 days, and he was in terrible pain the first 2 days). He's supposed to be on that nasty hills diet, but I don't trust this vet any longer, and have done my own research. We monitor his urine PH daily (before any food at the same time every morning) and add 2 cups of water to his food 3 times a day, for 6 total cups of water daily. If the pH starts getting too alkaline, we put some apple cider vinegar (with the mother) in his food to bring it back down, or give him a couple of the grass saver tables (they reduce alkalinity). He also gets regular doses of probiotics, enzymes, apple cider vinegar, cranberry and d mannose. I give him 2/3 of American Journey grain free dry food with 1/3 science diet c/d mixed in (and the water). Did your pup ever get straightened back out, or do you still have issues?

Old 02-23-2018, 04:22 PM

5 posts, read 15,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
This was my original thread and I can tell you that Lucy has never resolved her incontinence issues, unfortunately. She had a second opinion at a large university and their only answer was to increase the PPA to 3 times per day. I did it for a while, but her blood pressure went up.

I have her on the PPA twice a day - which helps somewhat - but she will still wet the bed at night in her sleep AND during the day if she is not let out often enough.

I have a washable pee pad that is very large (actually it's for human use that someone gave me) and she sleeps on that on top of my bed. Her blankets in her crate and elsewhere usually smell like pee. SHE usually smells like pee and I wash her backside 3-4 times per week to keep the smell down.

She loves the prescription food and is still on it. She's not had any more stones.

She's still beautiful and sweet and I still love her. She can't help it that her bladder leaks when she lays down; she can't be 'trained' out of it or whatever like my friends are always encouraging me to do.

It is a lot of work to try and keep her bedding clean and her clean. But it is what it is and I was always in it for the long haul, imperfections and all.
Ringo1, how is Lucy doing now?

Old 02-23-2018, 05:44 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,515,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrinn View Post
Ringo1, how is Lucy doing now?
Thank you for asking! Well. She still wets the bed when she sleeps -but not quite AS often.

We have her on a new medication I think that has something to do with female hormones. But if I don't get her up in the middle of the night (and I don't always wake up) ~ chances are she's going to let out a little bit of urine.

Sigh. At least she hasn't had any more stones.

I just no longer have a bedspread on my bed; just a selection of comforters that gets rotated out weekly or more often depending on what kind of week it's been.

Just re-reading this thread and realizing how many dogs have incontinence problem after this surgery.

Wow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs