Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Giving dogs away: puppy mills, gastrointestinal perforation, monthly drug bill, addisons disease

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 12:35 PM

1,408 posts, read 8,019,787 times

Advertisements

i agree with dogpaw and unfortunately I can't think of a nice way to talk to your friend. If she is a really close friend then I would encourage you to sit her down and tell her how you feel. You're not alone though. I know someone as well who did this exact same thing except they had two goldens. these dogs were they're babies up until they adopted a human baby then all of a sudden they had ZERO time for the dogs so they up and gave them away. thankfully this person is more of a friend of a friend so it was much easier for me to say forget it, i don't need to know people like you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 12:49 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
I would absolutely not be friends with a person like that. I would instruct her to not even call me - doesn't matter if husbands work together. You don't have to be friends with her or socialize if they work together.

There are serious personality flaws in people that treat dogs as fashion accessories. And I have not hesitated to tell people too. We grew up in a dog family, and they have always been treated as a member of our family. If you can't take the responsibility for one, you have no business owning one. Get an aquarium.

SIL was like this (paris hilton wannabee), luckily she managed to give her bichon to my inlaws who later spend thousands on it to keep it alive because it was a badly bred puppy mill dog - knee, hip, neck, skin and eye problems. I have a very dim view of people like that.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:16 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,274,012 times
I hate to say it but regardless of others(yours included) feelings, she can do this.

I also think that if your friendship is as deep as you say you could bring it up and hold a comfortable, caring conversation about her animal choices. Like, "so and so, I've noticed you've been through 3 dogs and understand your circumstances, but maybe you should consider play w/ my dog and not get another. Or if you are having problems w/ the dog, why don't you ask for help or consider training?" ...that's not mean or demeaning, it's caring for all parties.

I do understand getting rid of a dog when a baby is in the picture ...I would like my brother to get rid of his BUT I think that it happens USUALLY because of lack of training, laziness and lack of preventative measures(behavior prevention like sharing, socialization,etc). I think my bros dog is untrustworthy and a hoarder and it's because he hasn't been properly trained. I worry for the baby when he takes a toy from the dog.

Our dog(gonna brag) was a abuse case and we did everything in our power to socialize and desenstize him. We trained him from the time we got him to drop things when we say "mine", sharing(trade toys,treats, etc) and to have self control.

that's all ....off to work!

Old 09-11-2007, 01:21 PM

73 posts, read 346,718 times
People like this are a dime a dozen. I am a foster home for abused & abandoned dachshunds, & you would be sickend to hear some of the stories & meet some of these precious little dogs who were just kicked around or tossed out like a pair of worn out shoes. All they are to these depraved people are living squeaky toys. I can't be friends with people like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs